Chicken Soup for the Soul People Helping People

LawrenceElliott

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.LawrenceElliott.com
I submitted to a Chicken Soup People Helping People volume earlier in 2006. Did anyone else submit to that one? Has anyone heard anything about it? I haven't heard anything myself and it has never appeared on Amazon or any other online store catalog (the books to which I have submitted usually show up there as early as a year before their release).

I a'm just curious...

Kudra

Back and on track
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.TheInternationalFreelancer.com
Hey Lawrence,

I had a call for submissions from them lying around, and it says the deadline is March 31, 2007. You probably won't hear from them at least till the deadline's up.

AnnaC

Registered
Reaction score
I sent in a submission to this one but didn't hear back either. When I submitted, the deadline was October 31, 2006. They even had their own website (soulofthepeople.com) with a cover. After the deadline it was removed. I believe that website said April 2007 would be the release for this one. They change deadlines around a lot, but I found nothing for 'People Helping People' on the CS website as of today.

If they've changed deadlines, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Kudra

Back and on track
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.TheInternationalFreelancer.com
Oh. I'm pretty sure I copied this from the website, but you're right, there's nothing there now.

This is what I have:
People Helping People
If you have a heart-warming, insightful, humorous or moving story about people helping people, please tell us. Perhaps you helped someone in need or maybe you were the recipient of the generosity of the human spirit. For complete chapter outlines and guidelines please go to www.SoulofthePeople.com. The deadline date for story submissions is March 31, 2007.

Deadlines do change around a lot though. Maybe they got enough submissions. :Shrug:

LawrenceElliott

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.LawrenceElliott.com
Thanks Anna and Kit. My fingers are crossed, too. Hard to type like that! ;)

I didn't see that the deadline changed, but maybe you're right. I thought this would be a nice volume to be in. Who can't find someone who has done something selflessly for another human being? That would be something worthy to write about and share with the world, wouldn't you agree?

AnnaC

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Lawrence!

I got an email from Ms. Peluso of CS "People Helping People" today. You probably got one, too, but in case you didn't, here is an update on this book.

We have moved this book to a release date of January-February 2008. Consequently we haven’t finalized our review of the stories for possible publication.

I will touch base with anyone whose work is still under consideration for publication by July 31, 2007.

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like a fun one to write for. I've read that they may keep your submission for years without using it, only to put it in a different book. Seems complicated, but worth the time if you have a great story or two.

Dianna

Dianna
Registered
Reaction score
Website
diannagraveman.wordpress.com
I've heard this can happen, too, but I submitted for two particular books right before their deadlines and received pub agreements shortly after.

BTW, the Christmas Collection deadline was March 31st and I submitted a couple of stories to them last week. Then I just noticed on another site that evidently they have finished compiling stories for that edition and are saving any additional stories they receive for consideration for the 2008 Collection -- and that CS plans to release a Christmas Collection each year.

So I guess I got my stories in too late to be considered for this year's book, even though the deadline is still a month off. Oh, well . . . :cry:

In the meantime, I may just submit those stories elsewhere because CS will still accept them as reprints in 2008 if they want them, as long as I own the rights. I spent too much time on them to just sit on them for another year.

LawrenceElliott

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.LawrenceElliott.com
I'm sorry to hear about that, Dianna. I saw that on the Publishing Syndicate web site. I also learned that Sisters and Brothers has been filled, too. Oh well, the "rejection" just reminds us of how difficult it is to break into that market. But when a story is accepted, it also lets us know we must have written a really great story!

One of my favorite sayings: With everything good comes something bad and with everything bad comes something good. It's God way of evening things out.