PDA

View Full Version : Fine, whatever.

Christine N.
02-16-2007, 05:02 AM
I'm done. I don't have time to play games with you, Vic.

You send me another letter and I PROMISE you I will find the sharkiest lawyer I can and he will eat you for lunch. The people of this board WILL see that I can afford it. And you can bet your bottom dollar I will send a copy of every last thing you send me to the press, along with links to a thousand other places who echo what amounts to MY OPINION.

For the moment, I'm gone. Don't send me another packet full of photocopies from this board, full of other people's postings where they ALSO say PA is a scam, and don't threaten me for proclaiming what really amounts to my opinion, or you WILL see what kind of mess you've made.

There are a thousand others where I leave a place. I have yet to figure out why you've targeted me at all! Maybe my lawyer will see how you like a harassement suit. Because I don't have any money, I'm not worth anything, and I'm not a 'big name' you can discredit. So please explain it to me! What the hell did I ever do to you that a THOUSAND other people have not?

You need better ways to spend your time, Vic. Leave me alone. I've got better things to do than deal with you and your piddlings.

Marian Perera
02-16-2007, 05:11 AM
For the moment, I'm gone.

You're gone? Does this mean you won't post in this forum any longer? :(

Gabriel
02-16-2007, 05:13 AM
Don't know you very well Christine (Or at all really) but this makes my blood boil.

Hope this weasal gets off your back.

Christine N.
02-16-2007, 05:14 AM
Not until I hear back from a certain someone in the legal department, if he's willing to give me advice. I hate to say this, but I was reduced to tears. I don't have the time or resources to deal with this crap.

It's ridiculous, and I don't know what the hell I did to make their shit list, not with all the people on this forum.

Sorry, guys. I have my own life to think about, and a family. My husband is going to freak. If that's what Vic wants, fine. I'll still discourage people from submitting to PA - it's NOT in the best interests of any writer who wants a career. But, for now, this is it for me. I have books to write. If that makes me selfish, I'm sorry.

You win, Vic.

I know that you guys will keep up the fight. I just...can't. If this is how they wanted me gone, whatever. I don't know of another business anywhere that would stoop to this. It's disgusting.

rtilryarms
02-16-2007, 05:24 AM
OK. I know I have been avoiding the PA thread but, can someone point me to the discussion of this Vic character?

If there is some intimidating going on, I want in.

TwentyFour
02-16-2007, 05:25 AM
I hope you find peace Christine. Good Luck.

James D. Macdonald
02-16-2007, 05:27 AM
...can someone point me to the discussion of this Vic character?

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54575

Birol
02-16-2007, 05:30 AM
:Hug2:

Christine N.
02-16-2007, 05:38 AM
I still don't get why me? You can't get blood from a stone, and I do NOT have the 'damages' they're now planning on asking for if they did manage to win.

Real suit-like pages this time. He plans to file if I don't settle. I won't call them, I'm not that dumb. I would have a legal-type person do it.

If this is all you wanted, PA, you got it. OK? I give up.

TwentyFour
02-16-2007, 05:43 AM
I thought PA only went to arbitration?

James D. Macdonald
02-16-2007, 05:44 AM
The fact that Vic hasn't dared to send me a letter is an admission that everything I've said is true and accurate.

Christine N.
02-16-2007, 05:44 AM
I'm not one of their authors. This is a personal vendetta apparently, against things I've said about them. Things that a hundred other people have said before me.

Like I said - why me?

BTW, Vic, I never claimed to be an expert on PA, just a person who has studied publishing, and how it's really supposed to work.

Christine N.
02-16-2007, 06:00 AM
It's only for now. I know that's what they're doing, and if my circumstances were different, I'd call them on it. My husband won't understand.

I've deleted the PAMB from my links. I don't want to know what goes on there anymore.

If I hear from a legal eagle that I'm ok, I'll be back. Until then, my lovelies...

Hey, maybe I'll get more of my WIP written!

Maddog
02-16-2007, 06:03 AM
http://www.gordonsimmons.com/images/Bios/VictorEdwardCretellaIII.jpghttp://www.gordonsimmons.com/images/spacer.gifVictor Edward Cretella, III News

Victor Cretella has just settled a gender discrimination case against a major news network brought by a producer of internet news and is preparing another discrimination case for a co-anchor for another media company. This follows his successful settlements in hotly contested cases that all ended this year with favorable resolutions in each of the foloowing areas: publishing contracts; publishing practices; construction disputes (commercial and home construction); contracts between businesses; financial disputes; personal torts; employment disputes; and land use disputes.

This really pisses me off. Don't worry, Christine. They won't win!

zizban
02-16-2007, 06:09 AM
And this gem. Must be a word from his planet.

foloowing

And Christine, we are all behind you.

spike
02-16-2007, 06:15 AM
Christine,

I don't blame you for backing off. Believe me, the rest of us will continue. I wish I could offer you more help, but I'm not a lawyer and very poor.

I think if we all continue, it will support your case. Have you spoken to a lawyer? Can't you file for harrassment?

Best to you!

Julia

JimmyD1318
02-16-2007, 06:23 AM
Do what you have to do Christine. This really makes me mad. Why her? Why not Uncle Jim or someone else here? This is still confusing me to no end. But Christine, if you need money help for a lawyer please post it up on the board here so we will know where to send it. Stay strong...:Hug2:

xhouseboy
02-16-2007, 06:27 AM
This is like something out of 'My Cousin Vinny'.

Victor Cretella at one point in the proceedings imputed a "Satanic" connotation to a common, everyday word used to describe unpaid royalties, going so far as to cart out a battered, taped, ancient edition of the Oxford dictionary to "prove his point." He read some archaic definition of the word "shorted," which he said had a Satanic/demonic connotation which had "scared" the PA employee who rudely informed Complainant that he was wrong and that no accountant would be permitted access to his records. (Pozkin is not surprised that the word "Satanic" would have been introduced into the proceedings at some point, not after all the time we’ve spent comparing the "PA community" to a cult.) At that point, the room went silent, the hearing officer simply stared at Cretella before directing him to move on, and the Complainant tried hard not to laugh out loud. Interestingly, Meiners denied any knowledge of accounting records having been made unavailable.

Stick that on his promo material.

Sonarbabe
02-16-2007, 06:36 AM
To me this appears to be his way of gaining money. Suing people. What a freakin' loser. Ya know, I had a new novelist who "published" through PA ask me for advice and I planned on asking on Christine for advice on how to break it to him that they're nothing but a scam since I'm such a softy, but now I hear about this? This truly burns my biscuits, because Christine has been a great friend to me on the forum and off. Hang tough, babe!

PeeDee
02-16-2007, 06:53 AM
Hi, Vic.

You wanna screw with someone, you can come find me. My teeth are sharpened, and I'm ready to play. I'll see what I can do about finding you a chin. And a backbone.

Come on, twit. I mean Vic. Sorry. (except not really).

Sean D. Schaffer
02-16-2007, 08:34 AM
I'm not one of their authors. This is a personal vendetta apparently, against things I've said about them. Things that a hundred other people have said before me.

Like I said - why me?

BTW, Vic, I never claimed to be an expert on PA, just a person who has studied publishing, and how it's really supposed to work.

Why you? Because you're not a PA author and they're not required to only take you to arbitration.

Also, I think the fact you're one of the more outspoken people on these boards probably has something to do with it.

And like you said, you can't get blood from a stone. They've probably figured since you don't have the resources to fight them, you'll be an easy target. Bullies are like that. They pick on people they think have no chance of beating them or defending themselves.

However, I would say, Christine, that your family and life are of much higher importance than one publishing house, be it a scam or whatever else. You have to take care of your family first.

In any case, I wish you well, and I hope you get the answers you're looking for... and then I hope you kick their collective @sses in court. If I know you, you'll find a way to trudge through this.

I wish you all the best, Christine, and I'll miss you.

WildScribe
02-16-2007, 08:41 AM
I don't have much spare cash right now, but I will contribute what I can when it comes to it. These bullies will not win here.

TemlynWriting
02-16-2007, 09:07 AM
They're basically bullies that never grew up. They were probably bullies all through school, got what they wanted from bullying, and so they're keeping with what they know. Too bad they can't grow up and act like mature adults. They must think they're really something, but the truth is, they're not. So sad for them.

What goes around, comes around.

PeeDee
02-16-2007, 09:15 AM
They're basically bullies that never grew up. They were probably bullies all through school, got what they wanted from bullying, and so they're keeping with what they know. Too bad they can't grow up and act like mature adults. They must think they're really something, but the truth is, they're not. So sad for them.

What goes around, comes around.

OR, they got bullied and now they're gleefully shoving other kids' noses into the water fountain and laughing about it.

KCH
02-16-2007, 09:20 AM
Christine--There's a prestigious law firm in the applicable geographic area whose attorneys actively do pro bono work for authors and artists. PM me if you'd like info.

This bug needs to be squashed now. You shouldn't have to spend one second stressing over this. Even knowing that they haven't got a leg to stand on, it's still gut wrenching for you.

roach
02-16-2007, 09:27 AM
Christine, I'm sorry you're going through this.

While everyone here knows that PA doesn't have a leg to stand on and that they'd never willingly step foot in a courtroom, your husband most likely doesn't know any of this. I hope you get a legal opinion soon to ease your husband's mind so you can come on back.

Bartholomew
02-16-2007, 09:34 AM
Christine: it isn't libel if its true, thus, you've done nothing they can touch you over.

Bartholomew
02-16-2007, 09:40 AM
Why her? Why not Uncle Jim or someone else here?

Because bullies never pick on people their own size.

CatSlave
02-16-2007, 09:51 AM
Do what you have to do Christine. This really makes me mad. Why her? Why not Uncle Jim or someone else here? This is still confusing me to no end. But Christine, if you need money help for a lawyer please post it up on the board here so we will know where to send it. Stay strong...:Hug2:
She's the only one in the group that does NOT have a signed contract with PA, so they may be counting on that to prove she is needlessly hostile toward them. That's all I can come up with--???

Hang in there, Sweetie!

Sean D. Schaffer
02-16-2007, 09:57 AM
She's the only one in the group that does NOT have a signed contract with PA, so they may be counting on that to prove she is needlessly hostile toward them. That's all I can come up with--???

Hang in there, Sweetie!

I rather doubt that. Uncle Jim never signed a contract with them either. I would tend to agree with Bartholomew, in that they're picking on Christine because they think they can intimidate her into silence with ease.

I'm sure Christine will get the answers she needs from her lawyer. In the meantime, I hope Christine is able to calm down and think clearly. One thing that will definitely work against anyone in such a fight as this, is panic.

Atomic Bear
02-16-2007, 10:16 AM
Christine,

I hope you will return and will never stop stating YOUR OPINION. Being silenced is wrong.

Bartholomew
02-16-2007, 10:21 AM
The fact that Vic hasn't dared to send me a letter is an admission that everything I've said is true and accurate.

A deeply seated sense of self-preservation?

LeslieB
02-16-2007, 04:19 PM
Hey Vic, has it ever entered your mind that this pretty much proves that PA is a scam? Can anyone imagine Random House's lawyers sending out letters because, "Oh no, someone is saying mean things about us on the internet!" The truth getting out must really be cutting into PA's profits.

spike
02-16-2007, 04:45 PM
I think the reasons behind PA targeting Christine are clear.

They wouldn't want to target a ex-PA author. That person might have proof in email and otherwise about PA's shady business. An ex-PA author in court would scare the carp out of them.

They also wouldn't target someone like Uncle Jim, or Victoria. They wouldn't scare. They wouldn't stop.

So like a typical bully, they picked on someone who they think will be afraid. Because bullies don't want to fight, they want to intimidate. I'm sure they think that we will all stop our posting and run for cover. We have to make sure that doesn't happen!

NCRomanceWriter
02-16-2007, 05:35 PM
I lurk mostly, but this is wrong. Hang in there Christine, you have a lot of support here. :Hug2:

brainstorm77
02-16-2007, 06:10 PM
I have never had anything to do with PA..... This is totally crazy!!

Sarashay
02-16-2007, 06:22 PM
Wasn't there some kind of legal defense fund that people were setting up so people could afford to take PA to arbitration? Is there any money in it that could go to her defense? Where do I sign up to donate?

Christine N.
02-16-2007, 06:27 PM
I'll let you know if I'm going to need anything. I'm consulting with cousel (one who knows the PA story well, BTW) in the near future. Hopefully with little fuss, but it may take some dough.

I hate even asking, but I'm just not financially able to deal with anything long and drawn out. We'll see how it goes.

Thank you guys SO MUCH for your support. It means the world.

Now if I could only get rid of the headache I've had since last night, and get back my concentration.

JulieB
02-16-2007, 06:54 PM
The words that come to mind aren't fit to be printed here.

Do what you have to do, Christine.

JimmyD1318
02-16-2007, 06:58 PM
Now if I could only get rid of the headache I've had since last night, and get back my concentration.

Try some hot coffee,Christine.:Coffee: We're here for you, and I hope everything goes okay for you.:Hug2:

JimmyD1318
02-16-2007, 07:01 PM
Because bullies never pick on people their own size.

How very true, Bartholomew. If they tried this stuff with Uncle Jim...well all I could say is pass the popcorn!:popcorn: It would be fun to watch.

Julie Worth
02-16-2007, 07:02 PM
...You are also on Writer Beware's 13 worst publishers list...
- Victoria

Where can I find this list?

AC Crispin
02-16-2007, 07:06 PM
PublishAmerica knows that SFWA has pretty deep pockets and lawyer(s) on retainer.

And Writer Beware folks are protected, as are SFWA Officers, from being personally sued.

PublishAmerica is a scam.

PublishAmerica doesn't have the guts to go up against Writer Beware.

PublishAmerica is afraid of us because we have the FACTS and the DOCUMENTATION to hurt them in court.

Victor Cretella has already had his hiney booted by WB's counsel before, when he dared make any moves towards us.

Christine, stay in touch. My email address is anncrispin@aol.com

Best.

-Ann C. Crispin
Chair, Writer Beware
www.writerbeware.com

veinglory
02-16-2007, 07:18 PM
Just when you thought Publish America couldnt get any scummier...

Moon Daughter
02-16-2007, 07:42 PM
Don't worry, Christine. We got your back! Hmm, I wonder if we could sign a petition on how we all agree PA is a scam. How could the courts let PA win with a petition like that!?

Hopefully you don't stray away from here for too long. Keep us posted!

Esopha
02-16-2007, 08:08 PM
Christine, I've been following this since the last thread, and I just want to tell you that there ARE people out there who have financial resources and who are willing to help.

Please don't give up.

This really steams me up, and it takes a lot to do that. One letter, I was laughing. This is downright evil.

Do you hear me, PA? You're a bunch of evil, scamming scumbags, and I wish you all the worst.

Go ahead. Sue me. You'll be taking on three lawyers.

ChunkyC
02-16-2007, 08:26 PM
Hang in there, Christine. Do what you have to do for your sanity. Like others have said upthread, your family comes first.

One thing is certain; you are not the only person who thinks PA operates in an unethical fashion. If this Vic character thinks an attempt to bully one person into silence is going to help PA, he is deluding himself. For every person PA manages to intimidate, there are ten who will step up in their place.

Like poking a hornet's nest, all they've done by threatening Christine is harden the resolve of those who want PA to be honest about how they do business. Not too bright, imho, but I'm hardly surprised.

VGrossack
02-16-2007, 08:29 PM
I'm not exactly sure what the legal definition is for "scam," therefore I won't employ that term. However, as one of PA's former authors - one whose name was used repeatedly in their standard e-mails as an example of a "celebrity in the making" - I'm going on the record as stating that they are a miserable deal for authors. The books cost about three times what they should; the PA reputation is so poor that it is almost impossible to get anyone to review the book or to get it into a library; the lack of discount makes it virtually impossible to work with bookstores.

So - is this traditional publishing? Or is it a scam?

brianm
02-16-2007, 08:29 PM
I just posted a link in the PA Employees thread and the Never Ending thread. It is a link to a blog where a former employee of Publish America talks about their experiences in the acquisitions department, about editing, and royalty checks. After I read it my coffee went sour and my stomach churned.

Something tells me PA will be trying to find out who this person is and fast. Perhaps you could email them or chat in that blog, Christine. It is the first time this person has spoken out in public about this scumbag, scamming, lowest of the low company.

Perhaps other employees will step out, start a dialogue about their experiences with PA, and expose this monster from the inside out.

Warning: You may need a bucket or airsick bag after reading this blog.

http://nielsenhayden.com/makinglight/archives/008505.html#164708

CaoPaux
02-16-2007, 08:36 PM
The word above should be "pockets" instead of "politics." Paging Dr. Freud.... :ROFL:

Seriously, though: Christine, you've got nothing to worry about. I doubt I have any info the pros don't, but I'm here if you need another ear to bend.

aruna
02-16-2007, 08:42 PM
Hang in there, Christine. We're all behind you.

Kate Thornton
02-16-2007, 08:42 PM
Christine - please let me know if you need financial support for this. I would be very glad to contribute.

Free speech isn't just a slogan for me. I will support you in any way.

Hugs to you - you have a lot of friends here who support you and are sorry you are being hurt by this. I'm just one of them. But count on me for anything you may need. PM or email me or anything. And have some chocolate, too.

stormie
02-16-2007, 08:47 PM
She's the only one in the group that does NOT have a signed contract with PA, so they may be counting on that to prove she is needlessly hostile toward them.
No, she isn't the only one without ever having signed with PA. I never did, and many others on AW haven't, either. Yet we're trying to get the word out about them, to help newbies make informed decisions.

Why Christine? No idea. She's articulate, published, and a great asset to AW. But so are so many others here.

Christine, we're here for you, and stand behind you.

LeslieB
02-16-2007, 08:51 PM
Christine, I can completely understand how this has upset you and your family. But take a bit of satisfaction in this - what PA has done is the equivalent of swatting a bee that has landed on the outside of its hive. It takes care of one problem, but stirs up a whole lot of trouble in the process.

DaveKuzminski
02-16-2007, 09:15 PM
I say it's time to report Vic Cretella to the Maryland Bar Association for attempted extortion. Let them sort it out and decide whether that's what he's involved in or not.

Let's not forget his law firm. They might not know what he's doing. They might not want the blackeye he's giving them.

Caro
02-16-2007, 09:30 PM
Hang in there, Christine. Do what you must for your family and your sanity, as others have said, but if you need support, give a shout and a lot of us who just lurk will be there.

Sparhawk
02-16-2007, 09:34 PM
Christine,

Hang tough and do what you have to do. PA's lawyer is an empty suit and a coward. You've said nothing about Publish America that isn't true. THEY know that and are scared. You're a powerful voice of reason and expereience; they want you silenced.

I hope your council gives you the assurances you need and you'll be back here soon. PA has no honor or courage.

Boy the balance sheet must really be in the red for PA to stoop to this.

roach
02-16-2007, 09:50 PM
I say it's time to report Vic Cretella to the Maryland Bar Association for attempted extortion. Let them sort it out and decide whether that's what he's involved in or not.

Let's not forget his law firm. They might not know what he's doing. They might not want the blackeye he's giving them.

I agree. Christine I'd think it prudent to send a copy of everything this guy has sent to you to the bar association. I don't know what the process is for dealing with complaints but I think at the very least they'd contact him about the complaint. Shining more light his way ought to make him think twice about the stunt he's pulling.

DaveKuzminski
02-16-2007, 09:51 PM
Well, let's see Vic deal with this:

To: officemail@gordonsimmons.com
Cc: praschke@oag.state.md.us, tmurphy@murphyslawmd.com, phe@eqmrh.com, tbcarnell@venable.com, lschwartz@paleyrothman.com, cpham@rosenbergmartin.com, ariana.arnold@usdoj.gov, joan.gordon@courts.state.md.us, wchilds@linowes-law.com, gayle.driver@montgomerycountymd.gov, gklakring@opd.state.md.us, tlerer@comcast.net, tlynch@milesstockbridge.com, tmaloney@jgllaw.com, gmartin@rosenbergmartin.com, john.miller@courts.state.md.us, almorgan@co.pg.md.us, jay.morstein@dlapiper.com, praschke@oag.state.md.us, marc.rasinsky@courts.state.md.us, rosen@wilcalros.com, donald.sharpe@dlapiper.com, mdt@mygt.com, jbw@cwtm.net, pmw@paleyrothman.com, cswinner@fisherwinner.com, wandf@qis.net, jhoward@sagallaw.com
Subject: Expression of displeasure
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 12:41:26 -0500

Perhaps your office is unaware, but Mr Cretella seems to be involved in what I
would characterize as extortion. I've enclosed a copy of the documentation that
leads me to express this extreme displeasure with one of your lawyers because he
appears to not only represent a business I consider to be among the sleaziest in
the world, but to be actively consorting with them in furthering its unethical,
if not illegal methods. I fully intend to also report him to the Maryland State
Bar Association for disciplinary action.
--
Cordially,
Dave Kuzminski, Editor
Preditors & Editors ™
http://anotherealm.com/prededitors/

Yes, this just went out in email. They want to play rough, then let's level the playing field just a bit. Yes, that's a couple of related offices in the Maryland State Bar Association and nearly every member of their Ethics Committee.

Rekd
02-16-2007, 09:53 PM

Cc: praschke@oag.state.md.us, tmurphy@murphyslawmd.com, phe@eqmrh.com, tbcarnell@venable.com, lschwartz@paleyrothman.com, cpham@rosenbergmartin.com, ariana.arnold@usdoj.gov, joan.gordon@courts.state.md.us, wchilds@linowes-law.com, gayle.driver@montgomerycountymd.gov, gklakring@opd.state.md.us, tlerer@comcast.net, tlynch@milesstockbridge.com, tmaloney@jgllaw.com, gmartin@rosenbergmartin.com, john.miller@courts.state.md.us, almorgan@co.pg.md.us, jay.morstein@dlapiper.com, praschke@oag.state.md.us, marc.rasinsky@courts.state.md.us, rosen@wilcalros.com, donald.sharpe@dlapiper.com, mdt@mygt.com, jbw@cwtm.net, pmw@paleyrothman.com, cswinner@fisherwinner.com, wandf@qis.net, jhoward@sagallaw.com

leads me to express this extreme displeasure with one of your lawyers because he
appears to not only represent a business I consider to be among the sleaziest in
--
Cordially,
Dave Kuzminski, Editor
Preditors & Editors ™

Yes, this just went out in email. They want to play rough, then let's level the playing field just a bit. Yes, that's a couple of related offices in the Maryland State Bar Association and nearly every member of their Ethics Committee.

ROTFLMAO!!!

:clapping:

Keep up the good fight, Christine!

DaveKuzminski
02-16-2007, 10:00 PM
Okay, folks, if you want to help, send an email to those addresses except Dstatty29@verizon.net which came back as no longer in service. If you have documentation about PA or Vic, offer to give it to the Maryland State Bar Association to use in considering whether to administer disciplinary action to dear ole Vic.

Hey Vic, I hope you're reading this so you can include me on the offer you made to Christine.

brianm
02-16-2007, 10:03 PM

--
Cordially,
Dave Kuzminski, Editor
Preditors & Editors ™

BRAVO! BRAVO! BRAVO!

I don't think this ( insert word of choice) realizes what he has done by attacking Christine.

I am setting aside 12 hours of my writing week to concentrate on PA and do whatever I can to expose them.

Hang tough, Christine. I don't think you realize how many cages have been rattled by this attack on you.

Don't worry about money or an attorney. I am convinced whatever you need will be at your disposal.

Scribhneoir
02-16-2007, 10:16 PM
Okay, folks, if you want to help, send an email to those addresses except Dstatty29@verizon.net which came back as no longer in service.

I have no personal experience with PA. Would it still be helpful for people like me to e-mail a complaint? Or would we only muddy the waters and end up being dismissed as loonies? I'm willing to add my voice to the complaint, but I don't want to hurt the case.

Mom'sWrite
02-16-2007, 10:25 PM
I have no experience with PA either but I have quite a bit of experience with suit-threatening bullies. One in a hundred will stand up for a real fight. This guy really is pond scum.

I just want Christine to know that she has my support and complete empathy.

I think Vic may still have time to post a public apology to Christine on AW. He should realize that there is an awful lot of redemption in one little "I'm sorry."

DaveKuzminski
02-16-2007, 10:28 PM
You could email them to show support, but it would be best if you have documentation to add showing how PA and Vic are trying to use the color of law to further PA's illicit activities by silencing their critics and all public discussion just as PA currently does by removing posts and banning authors from its own message board.

At this point, a simple apology is not sufficient, though that is truly a matter for Christine to decide. Personally, after putting her and her family though such duress, Vic and PA should offer a publicly disclosed financial settlement along with a public apology to be posted for a minimum of one week on each of their business web sites (PA's and Vic's). Anything less would be letting them off without consequences.

Just got back an undeliverable message on tlerer@comcast.net so remove that one before you send out any emails to the Maryland State Bar Association.

LeslieB
02-16-2007, 10:41 PM

*stands up and cheers and whistles*

*looks around*

To co-workers - "No, I'm not crazy. Really! Okay, maybe a little, but I'm not dangerous, I promise."

aruna
02-16-2007, 10:41 PM
About Mr Cretella:

http://gordonsimmons.com/victore_cretella_news.htm

Victor Cretella has just settled a gender discrimination case against a major news network brought by a producer of internet news and is preparing another discrimination case for a co-anchor for another media company. This follows his successful settlements in hotly contested cases that all ended this year with favorable resolutions in each of the foloowing areas: publishing contracts; publishing practices; construction disputes (commercial and home construction); contracts between businesses; financial disputes; personal torts; employment disputes; and land use disputes.

DaveKuzminski
02-16-2007, 10:48 PM
"This follows his successful settlements in hotly contested cases that all ended this year with favorable resolutions in each of the foloowing [sic] areas: publishing contracts; publishing practices..."

Does that mean that Vic successfully defended PA and kept them from being put out of business?

By the way, did PA do the editing for Vic's site? ;)

PeeDee
02-16-2007, 10:51 PM
I think SOMEbody is going to wake up with a horse head in their bed, Dave. ;)

Atomic Bear
02-16-2007, 10:53 PM
"foloowing areas: publishing contracts; publishing practices"

What publishing contracts has he done besides PA ones? I don't think the PA ones count.

I wonder what his role with PA really is? Maybe he is a secret silent partner?

KimJo
02-17-2007, 12:47 AM
Christine, all the best to you, and I hope this nonsense ends soon. You don't need the hassle; you're helping others, unlike PA.

DaveKuzminski
02-17-2007, 12:51 AM
Just received an email from Judge JOHN ADDISON HOWARD, a member of the Ethics Committee for the Maryland Bar Association. Obviously, he's forgotten he's a member of that group and responded thusly:

"Please do not write to me again except about a matter officially before this court. Regardless of the merits of your contentions, I am neither responsible for, charged with nor capable of pursuing investigations into matters such as you have written to me about."

I hope other Ethics Committee members are more aware of how they conduct themselves.

Christine N.
02-17-2007, 01:10 AM
"Don't ask, don't tell, eh?"

Karma is a fast-moving train.

I'm not doing anything until I consult with my toothy friend.

Old Hack
02-17-2007, 01:32 AM
Best of luck, Christine. You've got a huge amount of support here, and I really can't see that PA has grounds to do anything to you. Not that that will stop them from worrying you senseless, but still: keep strong. Take care of yourself. And keep writing!

Unimportant
02-17-2007, 02:02 AM
C, if you and your toothy friend need $ donations to get the ball rolling, count me in. Set up a PAypal account, maybe?

Maddog
02-17-2007, 02:11 AM
http://www.laweekly.com/images/ink/02/35/sm35slush1.jpgPhoto by Vin Casey

Dressed in black and white, DAME DARCY and VICTOR CRETELLA (pictured) virtually disappeared into their room, punningly called "Gem in Eye."

Maddog
02-17-2007, 02:13 AM
http://www.gordonsimmons.com/images/Bios/VictorEdwardCretellaIII.jpghttp://www.gordonsimmons.com/images/spacer.gifVictor Edward Cretella, III

Rolling Thunder
02-17-2007, 02:20 AM
Just received an email from Judge JOHN ADDISON HOWARD, a member of the Ethics Committee for the Maryland Bar Association. Obviously, he's forgotten he's a member of that group and responded thusly:

"Please do not write to me again except about a matter officially before this court. Regardless of the merits of your contentions, I am neither responsible for, charged with nor capable of pursuing investigations into matters such as you have written to me about."

I hope other Ethics Committee members are more aware of how they conduct themselves.

You know, Dave, in Pennsylvania (when dealing with a real estate agent) the 'board of ethics' is generally a waste of time. If you want to apply the screws fast and furious you simply bypass and go straight to the real estate licensing board. Not many people outside the trade know this.

It might not apply in other states, especially regarding lawyers, but there are usually alternate avenues of recourse that aren't controlled by the big dues collecting/paying group that fronts so many 'ethics' boards.

Tina
02-17-2007, 02:57 AM
I'll let you know if I'm going to need anything. I'm consulting with cousel (one who knows the PA story well, BTW) in the near future. Hopefully with little fuss, but it may take some dough.

I hate even asking, but I'm just not financially able to deal with anything long and drawn out. We'll see how it goes.

Thank you guys SO MUCH for your support. It means the world.

...a judge that there is even grounds for a trial? All you have to do is hand over a pile of information printed from the web, not to mention mainstream presses like Washington Post, throw in some samples of the sting books and it is very likely any court would waste time on this.

Does PA REALLY want national news outlets across North America and maybe even the U.K. carrying this story? Reiterating Miranda's very shady past? Drawing attention to the (low to non-existent) quality of many PA books?

Not likely, but if you need any $ just ask.

MMo
02-17-2007, 03:20 AM
To: msba@msba.org
Date: February 16, 2007

(ed note: that's Maryland State Bar Association)

Please advise me of the proper procedure for filing a grievance against a member of the Maryland Bar.

Thank you,

XXX

Gabriel
02-17-2007, 03:57 AM
http://www.gordonsimmons.com/images/Bios/VictorEdwardCretellaIII.jpghttp://www.gordonsimmons.com/images/spacer.gifVictor Edward Cretella, III

<deleted by moderator>

Merricat
02-17-2007, 04:05 AM
If you need money, post a Paypal link and I'll send you what I can.

KCH
02-17-2007, 04:08 AM
MMo,

here ya go:

http://www.courts.state.md.us/attygrievance/index.html

Didn't look at the forms, so I don't know if these can be filed only by someone with standing in the dealings w/the attorney.

MMo
02-17-2007, 04:17 AM
MMo,

here ya go:

Didn't look at the forms, so I don't know if these can be filed only by someone with standing in the dealings w/the attorney.

Thank you.

Okay, those of you with standing to file, the information is here:
http://www.courts.state.md.us/attygrievance/complaint.html

(Quite frankly, I think that what appears to be attempted extortion is more than reason to file a grievance.)

veinglory
02-17-2007, 04:18 AM
http://www.laweekly.com/images/ink/02/35/sm35slush1.jpgPhoto by Vin Casey

Why did I read that as LAW weekly?

He is certainly disappearing up something.

Cathy C
02-17-2007, 04:34 AM
Dave, you need to reach the right folks. It's the Maryland Supreme Court that deals with attorney ethical violations within the context of the Code of Professional Conduct. If I were in your place, I would use the link KCH offers, and specifically mention that YOU BELIEVE said attorney (oh, and cite his attorney registration number. That's pretty easy to find and helps them identify him.) has knowingly engaged in professional misconduct, or reasonably should have known that he has violated the spirit (and possibly the letter of) the Code, as follows (emphasis in the various sections are mine: )

Section [6] of the Preamble, which states:

[6] As a public citizen, a lawyer should seek improvement of the law, access to the legal system, the administration of justice and the quality of service rendered by the legal profession. As a member of a learned profession, a lawyer should cultivate knowledge of the law beyond its use for clients, employ that knowledge in reform of the law and work to strengthen legal education. In addition, a lawyer should further the public’s understanding of and confidence in the rule of law and the justice system because legal institutions in a constitutional democracy depend on popular participation and support to maintain their authority. A lawyer should be mindful of deficiencies in the administration of justice and of the fact that the poor, and sometimes persons who are not poor, cannot afford adequate legal assistance. Therefore, all lawyers should devote professional time and resources and use civic influence to ensure equal access to our system of justice for all those who because of economic or social barriers cannot afford or secure adequate legal counsel. A lawyer should aid the legal profession in pursuing these objectives and should help the bar regulate itself in the public interest.

And Section 3.4(e), which states:

(e) in trial, allude to any matter that the lawyer does not reasonably believe (http://www.law.cornell.edu/ethics/md/code/MD_CODE.HTM#reasonable_belief) is relevant or that will not be supported by admissible evidence, assert personal knowledge of facts in issue except when testifying as a witness, or state a personal opinion as to the justness of a cause, the credibility of a witness, the culpability of a civil litigant or the guilt or innocence of an accused; or

It's a tenuous connection, but since a suit has been threatened where the suit may be groundless or not be supported by the facts, it quite possibly would stand.

Section 4.4(a), which states:

Rule 4.4 Respect for Rights of Third Persons
(a) In representing a client, a lawyer shall not use means that have no substantial (http://www.law.cornell.edu/ethics/md/code/MD_CODE.HTM#substantial) purpose other than to embarrass, delay, or burden a third person, or use methods of obtaining evidence that violate the legal rights of such a person.

Rule 8.4(a) and (c), as follows:

Rule 8.4 Misconduct
It is professional misconduct for a lawyer to:

(a) violate or attempt to violate the Maryland Lawyers’ Rules of Professional Conduct, knowingly assist or induce another to do so, or do so through the acts of another;

(c) engage in conduct involving dishonesty, fraud (http://www.law.cornell.edu/ethics/md/code/MD_CODE.HTM#fraud), deceit or misrepresentation;

The copy of the Code I'm citing is from the Cornell University (http://www.law.cornell.edu/ethics/md/code/MD_CODE.HTM#Preamble) website. I'll try to find the direct Maryland link to make sure none of the law has changed.

ETA: Never mind about the changes to the Code I mentioned earlier. They were just regarding trust accounts and safekeeping of funds.

ETA#2: Okay, LexisNexis is the site chosen to hold the official rules for Maryland. The link is here (http://198.187.128.12/maryland/lpext.dll?f=templates&fn=fs-main.htm&2.0). But you have to have cookies fully enabled to load it and it's in frames, so I don't know for certain that this link will work to get you to the exact right spot. The location of the Code is under "Maryland Rules" and it's the second Appendix, "The Maryland Lawyers' Rules of Professional Conduct."

xhouseboy
02-17-2007, 05:43 AM
Perhaps other employees will step out, start a dialogue about their experiences with PA, and expose this monster from the inside out.

Warning: You may need a bucket or airsick bag after reading this blog.

http://nielsenhayden.com/makinglight/archives/008505.html#164708

And that's what Vinny's defending? That's a horror story.

Hang your head in shame, Vinny.

MadScientistMatt
02-17-2007, 06:20 AM
Hang in there, Christine. I'll be willing to contribute if it does come down to needing a legal defense fund.

PA, you mess with one of us, you're messing with the whole family.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
02-17-2007, 06:23 AM
Amen to that, Matt.

Count me in for a buck or two when the rubber meets the road.

Cav Guy
02-17-2007, 06:24 AM
Why not just go to the ACLU and claim that PA is trying to muzzle your right to free speech? Or drag the whole thing out in public with your local news network and go from there?

I would also e-mail that judge back and request that he direct you to the proper office for such complaints. Since YOU pay HIS salary, he should do that much.

Dawno
02-17-2007, 06:25 AM
Please, folks - I'm as upset as the rest of you but PLEASE do NOT make any kind of statement that Cretella or his cronies could misconstrue. If I see them, I'll delete them out of hand. OK? Thanks.

xhouseboy
02-17-2007, 06:27 AM
Hang in there, Christine. I'll be willing to contribute if it does come down to needing a legal defense fund.

Count me in too.

I detest those shysters with an unhealthy passion.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
02-17-2007, 06:27 AM
Why not just go to the ACLU and claim that PA is trying to muzzle your right to free speech? Or drag the whole thing out in public with your local news network and go from there?

I would also e-mail that judge back and request that he direct you to the proper office for such complaints. Since YOU pay HIS salary, he should do that much.

PA isn't a government entity. It can try all manner of things to shut someone up, but that's got nothing to do with Free Speech.

kristie911
02-17-2007, 06:57 AM
I finally got a chance to read through the entire thread, and Christine, we're all behind you. We won't let PA win...

Where can I donate? :)

san_remo_ave
02-17-2007, 07:52 AM
It breaks my heart to know that you are having to go thru this stress and strain.

You have tons of support and resources here~

Keep us updated as you can, Christine, and know that you're in our thoughts and prayers.

kjh7073
02-19-2007, 06:17 PM
Count me in for contributing to the legal fund!

Alan Yee
02-20-2007, 12:56 AM
If things progress from this point, Christine, I think I know of a blogger (and I think you do, too) who can help spread the word about what they're doing. Let's just say she's written about PA more than a couple of times.

Obviously, I can't donate money, but good luck. They can't make all of us be quiet.

Leva
02-20-2007, 06:11 PM
Let me know if you need funding as well. PA ticks me off in a multitude of ways.

MMo
02-20-2007, 07:55 PM
To: msba@msba.org
Date: February 16, 2007

(ed note: that's Maryland State Bar Association)

Please advise me of the proper procedure for filing a grievance against a member of the Maryland Bar.

Thank you,

XXX

I got this response today:

The Maryland State Bar Association does NOT handle complaints against
lawyers. You need to contact the Attorney Grievance Commission at 100
Community Place, S3301, Crownsville, MD 21032, 410-514-7051. They are
responsible for all complaints against lawyers licensed to practice in
Maryland.

You can also get information at their website at

Information on disciplinary actions against attorneys can be found at
http://www.courts.state.md.us/attygrievance/sanctions.html

martand
02-22-2007, 08:13 AM
http://www.gordonsimmons.com/images/Bios/VictorEdwardCretellaIII.jpghttp://www.gordonsimmons.com/images/spacer.gifVictor Edward Cretella, III News

This really pisses me off. Don't worry, Christine. They won't win!

I dont really know what all of this is about. But I sure found this post hillarious.
Christine N.~ I dont mean to offend. Good luck with everything.

icerose
02-24-2007, 02:11 AM
Typical Maryland government. Passing the buck.

DaveKuzminski
03-17-2007, 07:51 PM
It occurred to me that it might be worth trying this:

If PA doesn't follow through with legal action after sending those C&D letters, the victim ought to sue PA for harrassment and have PA enjoined from sending any others to the victim along with making PA pay a significant punitive award to the victim.

I actually think this has a chance because the victim in this case can obtain and show proof of previous misbehavior on PA's part such as the fake cops showing up at writers' homes, extortion letters to others, and so forth. In fact, this would deal a serious blow to PA because it would have to be in court. The negative publicity alone would cause many writers to be wary and stay away from PA.

James D. Macdonald
03-17-2007, 07:56 PM
I think Dave's right, particularly given that Miranda Prather has a prior conviction for harassment.

Rekd
03-19-2007, 06:03 PM
the fake cops showing up at writers' homes,

Whoa. I missed that part. :e2thud:

James D. Macdonald
03-19-2007, 07:20 PM
That was Kevin Yarborough (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=102559&postcount=7748)'s story.

Sparhawk
03-19-2007, 07:30 PM
That was Kevin Yarborough (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=102559&postcount=7748)'s story.

Let's not forget filing fraudulent felony harassment charges either. There real cut ups at ol Publlish America

CaptainK
11-24-2008, 04:34 AM
Howdy everyone,

What twisty little passages our adventures can lead us through!

My wife is an aspiring novelist, and I was on the net searching for helpful resources for her. My quest led me to the Preditors & Editors site, where I learned about the lawsuit being discussed here. Seeking more info on the suit led me here. Though I know this is a very old thread, I got caught up in the details.

Also old news is that which I'm passing along here, only because I never saw it mentioned in this thread. Thought you all might be interested.

From http://gordonsimmons.com/Victor_E_Cretella_news.htm

Effective April 1, 2007, Victor Edward Cretella, III is no longer a full-time member of Gorgon & Simmons, LLC. After more than ten years with the firm, Victor has chosen to transition out of the full-time litigation and advocacy role he has served here, and has taken a position as general counsel for a client of Gordon & Simmons, LLC, Publish America, with whom Victor has had a long, positive relationship.

While Victor is no longer with the firm on a full-time basis, he will continue to be available to consult and work on cases through the firm on a more limited role. He will continue to be affiliated with the firm as “of counsel,” and he will still be involved in the handling of your case. Victor will be reachable through the firm, and you may continue to correspond with him directly through e-mail, which is VECIII@apt.net. Victor will work with the firm to ensure that this transition is accomplished as smoothly as possible, and that all cases he has participated in will be handled professionally by all concerned here at Gordon & Simmons, LLC.Just thought I'd pass that along.

-- Captain

cethklein
11-24-2008, 06:17 AM
I think Dave's right, particularly given that Miranda Prather has a prior conviction for harassment.

I assume that would somehow be connected to the case where she filed false claims stating she had been harassed in college or something to that effect?

Anyway, Christine, your mistake was calling PA a "scam" We all know it's a "sham". And it's true, you can prove it. Remember, you can't even spell PublishAmerica without "shAm".

As for the comments about Miranda, Vic et al. being bullies, I figured that all along. These people are bottom-feeders. they've built their entire business around seedy, under-handed tactics. They know they aren't legit, and that's why they're harrassing Christine, because it's hardly a stretch for them.

But hey, this whole thing at least gives us even hurther proof that Miranda and company are in fact reading this forum.

Everybody wave to them.

:welcome: Hi Miranda. Huggles!

Rolling Thunder
11-24-2008, 06:19 AM
Ancient thread reanimated. Closing.

The particulars of the facts in this thread have changed immensely in the past months.