Status
Not open for further replies.

Maprilynne

Author Waiting in the Wings
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.powerfulbirth.com
I got a rejection for a query I sent like five months ago and it was written on my SASE. Like the envelope was sealed and there was nothing in it, but in the back someone had written "Thanks, not for us."

Now, I've had a lot of rejections, but that was the weirdest rejection ever.

Glad I have an agent who actually puts note in her SASE's. Humph!:)

Maprilynne

FloVoyager

Will write for chocolate
Registered
Reaction score
I got a rejection for a query I sent like five months ago and it was written on my SASE. Like the envelope was sealed and there was nothing in it, but in the back someone had written "Thanks, not for us."

My gosh. That beats all I've ever heard. Well, at least you don't have to deal with them further.

writermom

Avada Kedavra
Registered
Reaction score
I think that's rude. Even if the humidity sealed it shut, they could have pried it open, stuck a piece of paper in it and taped it closed.

KCathy

Writer when I grow up
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.catherinebusinelle.com
That's positively weird. I've gotten rejections (and a couple of acceptances, come to think of it) written on the bottom of my own returned query letter, but the envelope? What was the editorial assistant smoking that day?

johnzakour

Dangerous with a Keyboard
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.johnzakour.com
Aren't you glad they rejected you? If they took you on as a client they'd probably charge you for everything. :)

oarsman

Salt water is the cure
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe they have trouble putting their thoughts on paper, so they decided to send "air" mail.

Weird strange behavior.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Rejection

Interesting. Some agents and editors write "No," or "Not for us" on the first page of a query, or on the fist page of a manuscript, but I've never seen one use the outside of an envelope.

Guess it doesn't matter. A no is a no, wherever it's written.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's a new one on me. I've gotten the "Thanks, but not for me" written ON my query, but never just the envelope.

Oh well. You have an agent now who believes in you and that's what matters.

Meerkat

Claims the loan was a gift
Registered
Reaction score
"site, place, position" --Roget's Thesaurus
You should assume that your original query letter is in their pile marked "reconsider this if that Cornwell woman fails to submit on time:"

But you could query someone else, just in case....

funidream

Registered
Reaction score
She must be cleaning up the clutter on the ol' desk 'cause I just got the same exact thing - blue ballpoint scribbling on the back of my barely sealed SASE - from a query I mailed out last May! Lazy, sloppy and very tardy!

funidream

funidream

Registered
Reaction score
Yep - the same one.

I never minded handwritten notes returned on the query letter - sometimes those can be quite nice. And any response is better than nothing, I guess.

The agent I signed with requested a full manuscript by scribbling on my query and sending it back via snail mail. Actually, all my correspondence with her is on the phone or by snail mail. She is old school, and has no email.

If I didn't already land a wonderful agent, I would have probably been miffed by the writing on the envelope technique, but as it was, I only laughed while chucking Damaris Rowland's response into the round file.

fd

Maprilynne

Author Waiting in the Wings
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.powerfulbirth.com
I actually kept it because I think it's so hilarious . . . I think it's one of only two that I have kept.

I really don't mind the notes written on the queries. I'd like someone to get their money's worth out of the nice paper I printed it on.:) And it's not like it costs them anything. Just shove it back in there.

And yeah, I probably would have been miffed if I had not already had a great agent too. For some reason, that makes everything seem better.:) . . . sorry, I guess this is the wrong room for that. . .

Maprilynne

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
That is just plain unprofessional!

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
I got the same one, last week! Yup, from the same agency. The difference is my envelope was the kind you have to peel off and seal. I thought it was pretty tacky.

Ha Ha, tacky... I made a funny.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
LOL! That really IS lazy. Amusing, though. Beats my best "lazy agent" rejection-- once, an agent simply wrote a big red letter "R" on the top of my query and sent it back. I assume it meant "rejection" or "reject," but to this day, I still wonder sometimes.

Will Lavender

Everything is what it seems.
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe folks should just start writing their queries on the back of the SASE when they submit to this agent.

In really tiny handwriting. Like 2.5 helvetica or something.

Will Lavender

Everything is what it seems.
Registered
Reaction score
My gosh. That beats all I've ever heard. Well, at least you don't have to deal with them further.

Totally off topic.

But where are you from, FloVoyager? I've never heard anyone say "That beats all" except in the American South.

Status
Not open for further replies.