Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Recent report from Book Buying Habits Statistics 2007

Where Books Are Sold- 81% market share are NOT in bookstores

Why are bookstores becoming dinosaurs?

Of the 19% market share of books in bookstores a recent survey found that about 10 percent of adult trade books were purchased in an independent or small chain book store and about 24 percent in a large chain book store. Other outlets include:

• Mass merchandisers - 6 percent
  • Discount stores - 3 percent [taking bestseller sales from the chains with deep discounts]
  • Food/drug stores - 3 percent
  • Price clubs - 7 percent
  • Used book stores - 3 percent
  • Book clubs - 19 percent
  • Mail order - 3 percent
  • Internet - 27 percent.
While we focus on the retail book store, a large number of books are sold elsewhere and the trend continues. For example, the new Sears Grand stores include a book department near the front of the store with most books displayed face out. Independent booksellers complain that discount stores receive copies of best selling books more quickly and at greater discount [economy of scale at work?].
Supermarkets, especially as they become more upscale, have gone beyond mass market paper to stock a much greater range of trade books. The number and range of customers is attractive. Women do most grocery shopping and also most book buying. While grocery stores account for a smaller percent of book sales, they are a growing market. Kroger has been notable in expanding its book sections and moving large numbers of best sellers. This is primarily a front list business.
Discount chains such as Sam's and Costco stock very few titles, but they stock them in large quantities and at prices often lower than the cost to the independent bookstore.
There is a fast rising trend for major publishers to sell new books from their website. Penguin is the leader here. Books are sold at full list price and P&H are added to that price. This is fast catching on for publishing companies that are forward thinking and trend watchers, those that are the ground floor of this trend and build a reputation will be the ones to succeed in the near future.
Reported by ABA

Certainly this article has to be put into perspective. I have actually always thought of drug stores, price clubs, and discount stores as "shelved" books, similar to book store shelving, and I do realize that the purchasing guidelines might be different. But books from major publishers would certainly be considered frontlist and end up at these venues, too, doncha think?

Does anyone have any other stats from different sources that might negate these figures, or appear slightly different?

This is the type of announcement fodder that gives vanity publishers ammo to throw in author's faces, to demonstrate that book stores are not a viable place for your product. Of course that's hogwash, because we've done the breakdowns before.

I wish I knew more about bookclubs and how they consider titles.

What is P&H? I know what S&H is, but not the other.

Tri

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
When someone (not you, Tri) announces that Bookstores Are Dying! I tend to just keep going on my merry way. When they offer up statistics on the matter, I don't miss a step. I've read How to Lie With Statistics. They don't phase me.

Drug stores and supermarkets dont' tend to go for the same books that major bookstores do. I've found the strangest books in my local grocery stores, things I would be hard pressed to find in Barnes & Noble. Usually, they're weird romances and long series of Adventure/Action/Thriller novels.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
Yeah, I feel ya PeeDee. We've been hearing about the demise of bookstores for years, much to the delight of the internet shops. But, hey, bookstore sales seem to be doing the brisk business that they always have.

I don't get out much. That's interesting what you relate about the drugstore books being adventure tales and romances. Do you think they are midlist titles and that's why they get such deep discounts?

Tri

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
I don't get out much. That's interesting what you relate about the drugstore books being adventure tales and romances. Do you think they are midlist titles and that's why they get such deep discounts?

Tri

Makes sense. I don't really know. I know they're the sort of bizarre, weird "Stone Hammer in ACTION on THE PACIFIC!" type of adventure novels that you look at, go "whatthehell?" and keep walking. So it makes sense.

Barring that, I would chalk up bookstore sales drops as being fluctuations in bookstore sales. I guess I just don't see it as being doomed quite yet. (Thank god...)

TwentyFour

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
In my town we only buy books from Rite Aid or online. I guess it's because we don't have any book stores in our town.

Peggy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsontheroad.blogspot.com
Women do most grocery shopping and also most book buying. While grocery stores account for a smaller percent of book sales, they are a growing market.
This just seems weird to me. I am a woman and, yes, I do most of the grocery shopping and most of the book buying, but for some reason I've never been enticed to purchase a book in a grocery store. Maybe it's because the books they have aren't they kind I usually buy (and as PeeDee noticed, the selection is a bit odd). But it's also true that when I have a cart full of groceries I'm just not in the mood to browse for paperbacks.

KCH

Registered
Reaction score
Tri--

P& H would be postage and handling.

I'm with you. These stats don't support the notion of brick and mortar stores
becoming extinct. They just provide a more precise breakdown of what sorts of shelves they're on. But they're still shelves. Of course, that won't stop the self-publishers from spinning it as such...and then trying mightily to get on those very same shelves they say are going the way of the buggy whip.

I'm leery of the close to 20% figure for book clubs. That doesn't seem right.

heatherleacubs

Registered
Reaction score
Website
depressiontellsme.blogspot.com
I've found a few decent books in my grocery stores, or at least acclaimed books. I bought THe Lovely Bones in a grocery store.

I go to bookstores as a treat to myself. Sheesh, what would I do if they ever disappeared?

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I will admit I've picked up a book or two in the grocery store but those two books would account for probably 1/2 of 1% of my total book purchases over the years. Nor do I buy very many on-line.

I love bookstores. New books, old books, used books...I love them all and I love to browse the stores that hold them!

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
Yeah, I wasn't aware that book clubs had such a hefty chunk of the industry. 19%. Maybe they offer really mind-boggling discounts to their reader members. I belonged to a few a long time ago. I'm not even sure what's out there. Maybe Oprah's and Reader's Digest, I think I'm aware of. But I do know they have huge genre book clubs, too, that specialize. So I gues if you put them all together you've got some big totals.

Here's what I don't get. Years ago library sales were huge and that's where an author typically made a big chunk of change for their book. It wasn't unusual to land in hundreds and hundreds of libraries if you had a QTP or harback 15-20 years ago.

Maybe libraries is falling under 'mail order' books according to that list

Tri

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
What I really wish is that a bookstore would pop up on the westside of Evansville rather than having 3 on the eastside. I almost exclusively order online because I don't like driving an hour just to go to one store.

So it becomes a special treat when I do make the trip, and I spend hours in the store. Now if there was one over where I do my shopping, well I'd be there about 5 times as much, and I'd never buy a book from Walmart or a grocery store (There are some odd collections, but I've found a few names I know).

I've even considering starting a complaining compaign to see if someone might be interested in putting a store on the westside.

brunoshouse

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jaandersonhouse.com
I'm an odd duck in this day and age because I don't drive. My car broke down twelve years ago and I called it quits. Because of convenience, I make most of my book purchases online, but there is nothing better than a book store. I have purchased a book at the grocery store, but only because I was desperate for something to read. And like PeeDee said, it was something I normally wouldn't choose.

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
I caught Pete! I caught Pete! I wasn't aware that this man even KNEW how to make mistakes!
When they offer up statistics on the matter, I don't miss a step. I've read How to Lie With Statistics. They don't phase me.
Sorry Pete, but you crank out so many posts which are always so impeccable as well as working full-time and writing novels - I'm jealous, obviously. Allow me my moment of pettiness.

The word is supposed to be faze.

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
I did find a couple of really good books in a supermarket, but that was years ago.

My favorite lunchtime escape at work is the Barnes & Noble across the street. Nothing like the smell of a bookstore. (The Starbucks in there doesn't hurt, either. Books, magazines and caffeine? What could be better?)

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Maybe they offer really mind-boggling discounts to their reader members.
Well, my wife just joined the Rhapsody book club (give in to your passion for great love stories). 6 books for a penny, plus shipping and handling. So yeah, I'd say they give mind-boggling discounts.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
This is very different from other stats I've seen, which give bookstores, indie and chain, well over 40% of the market and set Internet sales at around 10%. Do you have a link to the article?

- Victoria

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Stats

There's definitely something way out of whack with those stats. For most types of genre novels, the biggest sellers are now Wal-Mart and Target. The internet doesn't approach 27%, and bookstores still sell fairly close to what they did ten years ago, on a percentage basis.

The trouble with percentages is that they tell you very little of value, and, at best, they're deceiving.

Bookstores are still doing very well, but an awful lot of people live where no bookstores is readily available. Many of the books these people buy online or at Wal-Mart, etc., are books that would not have sold before.

The number of sales bookstores are making really hasn't gone down much, it's just that the number of books bought other places has gone up. Taking this to mean bookstores are dinosaurs, or are losing out, means you don't understand statistics.

More books are being sold than ever before in history, precisely because there are more outlets, and this is a good thing for everyone, including bookstores. At least, it's good for the big bookstores. But this does NOT mean bookstores are becoming dinosaurs. It simply means that all the readers out there who cannot easily get to a bookstore can now buy books anyway.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
Thanks. I knew something was fishy about these stats. No, Victoria. I don't have a link to that article and I would be totally embarassed to tell you where it came from.

The initials ABA are at the end of it and I'm not quite sure what that stands for. American Booksellers Association? Who knows?

Tri

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
I've bought book at one price club venue or the other. Hardcover. Front list. My first three Harry Potter books, in fact. The Sam's and BJ's we have here have a pretty good selection of both hardcover and paperback Books You've Heard Of. So I have no difficulty believing that PC's sell quite their 7%. In fact I'm kinda surprised it's not more.

I don't usually buy books at mass merch's, but I've seen the selection. Not too bad, but the price club actually does better. I order online if it's a book I know I want.

But most of my reading material currently comes in the form of ARC's. I like free books best.

I go to the bookstore to drink Chai Latte, eat large sugar cookies and let my son play with the Thomas the Tank Engine set. They have books there too, eh?

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Thanks. I knew something was fishy about these stats. No, Victoria. I don't have a link to that article and I would be totally embarassed to tell you where it came from.

The initials ABA are at the end of it and I'm not quite sure what that stands for. American Booksellers Association? Who knows?

Tri

And this is why I aaaaaalways come back to How To Lie With Statistics.... :)

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
I checked the American Booksellers Association website and didn't find the article. Nor could I find anything anywhere with a title like "Book Buying Habits Statistics." To be honest, this sounds to me like something put out by a self-publishing booster, or one of those publishers that markets mainly online and wants writers to think that bookstore presence is not important.

Also, such stats take a long time to compile--the most recent year they could possibly cover would be 2005.

- Victoria

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Sounds suspicious to me, too. Most people I know buy their books at Borders and B&N. The real continuing crisis is the decline of the locally-owned bookstore at the hands of the big chains. I have noted a general increase in the selection of books at supermarkets, but of a limited spectrum, either mass-market genre paperbacks or specialized regional books, much like what you'd see in kiosks at an airport.

caw

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
I do wish there were more small, locally-owned NEW bookstores around. We don't have one here in St. Cloud, and I miss it. We have a couple of used bookstores, yes, and they do fine, yes, but that's not quite what I want.

In Elko, NV, where I lived for a few years previous to this, there was a new bookstore that was atually a pretty good-sized shop. They had two small rooms full to the bursting of used books (and I got some good ones outta there) but the rest were new. They even had a "coffee shop" which consisted of two tables, a woman with a makeshift counter (the owner's wife) and some different flavors of coffee and tea that she'd make for you if you asked.

I want more of THOSE.

Status
Not open for further replies.