PDA

View Full Version : First commercial quantum computer demonstrated.

merper
02-15-2007, 12:22 AM
For those of you that haven't heard, D-Wave systems in vancouver just showcased their first Adiabatic quantum computer yesterday in Silion Valley. The processing power they showcased is not quite ready to solve the problems like cryptology, but the company hopes to scale it up very quickly to be able to handle things like the traveling salesman problem.

Here's a detailed link about their design from 2005:

http://www.technologyreview.com/Infotech/14591/

Here's an article about the demo they did yesterday:

http://www.supercomputingonline.com/article.php?sid=13006

Here's their own site:

http://www.dwavesys.com/index.php?mact=News,cntnt01,detail,0&cntnt01articleid=4&cntnt01origid=15&cntnt01returnid=21

Now researchers are working on a completely different type of quantum computer that is more robust, but with the funding that these guys are going start getting poured into them, they may just become the IBM of QCs.

Still, pretty exciting stuff.

RTH
02-21-2007, 08:19 PM
Wow.

I didn't think anyone had gotten anywhere near a functioning unit yet.

ChunkyC
02-23-2007, 01:37 AM
Way cool.

JimmyB27
02-23-2007, 03:21 PM
Imagine how well Half Life would run on one of those...

Angelinity
02-23-2007, 05:14 PM
i sense big changes coming....

Ordinary_Guy
02-24-2007, 04:54 AM
Could be cool, might be cold. There's some controversy (http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=6111) over this one:

Scientists Express Skepticism Over Quantum Computer

The science community takes a leery stance at D-Wave's quantum computer

Canadian company D-Wave Systems demonstrated earlier this week what it claims is the first commercial quantum computer, but scientists from the computing community are skeptical of D-Wave’s claims.

Specifically, the main criticism of D-Wave’s claims is that the company has yet to submit its findings for peer review—a common practice amongst the science community to gain acceptance of one’s work. "Until we see more actual measurements, it's hard to know whether they succeeded or not," said Phil Kuekes, a computer architect in the Quantum Science Research Group at Hewlett-Packard Co.'s HP Labs.

Although D-Wave’s origins are closely tied to the University of British Columbia, it is now a privately held company that may find it in its best interests to keep the details of the Orion quantum computer within the walls of its headquarters...
The article goes on and it's got some interesting points.

Either way, I've got my fingers crossed.

benbradley
03-01-2007, 09:18 AM
Just a little nitpicking on the title of this thread: I read "commercial" as meaning they haven't just demonstrated something, but they have something for sale. It looks like "commercial" for quantum computing is still a bit (no pun...) down the road.

dclary
03-02-2007, 01:23 AM
Can't wait for the first quantum virus... :(

Shadow_Ferret
03-02-2007, 01:39 AM
I have no idea what this thread is about?

Traveling salesmen know quantum physics?

Mom'sWrite
03-02-2007, 03:32 AM
Thanks for the links. Very interesting.

I wonder if the D-wave will be able to answer the really big questions like...why do I always have to sit next to the shrieking infant on airplane flights.

(As Richard Feynman's official groupie I must say that anything he thought was cool is the bee's knees, baby.)

benbradley
03-02-2007, 04:07 AM
I have no idea what this thread is about?

Traveling salesmen know quantum physics?
Google this:

traveling salesman problem

Traveling salesmen (and saleswomen) don't care if computers are gerbil-powered, as long as they can find the best route to travel. Mathematicians and computer scientists have a vicarious interest in this as well. Perhaps they wish they could travel as much as the salespeople do.

Can't wait for the first quantum virus...Crichton is surely writing a novel about the first quantum virus even as we type. I can only wonder if anyone will publish it.

PeeDee
03-02-2007, 09:36 AM
Crichton is surely writing a novel about the first quantum virus even as we type. I can only wonder if anyone will publish it.

If they don't publish it, he'll turn them into pedophiles and people sodomizing barnyard animals in his next book. Because he's not a very nice person at all.

smoore
11-24-2008, 07:36 AM
The age of this thread shows that not much has come from the D-Wave announcement. We have to be leery of premature claims like quantum computers and human cloning because they can be tainted by the cold fusion syndrome. Some really good science might be get set back many years by people yearning for the media spotlight. So let's table the discussion and wait for the newly rejuvenated applications of quantum mechanics (i.e. entanglement and its applications) to come of age a little.

MelancholyMan
11-24-2008, 07:41 PM
The Devil is always in the details so to speak. And in the funding... or lack thereof.

Revelationz
11-28-2008, 09:47 PM
I can't believe they already have an idea for a quantum computer. I thought these things were still years away. They just discovered teleportation via quantum entanglement in 2004. They're already making a computer that can utilize Einstein's "spookie action at a distance"!?!?!

Before you know it, we'll be teleporting around the globe.

indiriverflow
02-28-2009, 11:43 PM
Well, I'm featuring this technology in my WIP, so the background on D-Wave is helpful.

I actually hope it's at least a few more years before we see the real thing...just to be on the safe side. I know that's selfish of me. But reality simply has to pace itself to conform with my novel.

I am actively soliciting PMs from anyone who wants to get geeky about this with me. I can't say I have much to add here right now, since I don't want to hijack the thread just to discuss my work, but I'd love to pick your brain if you understand this how this might actually fly and like helping other writers invent fake stuff.