PDA

View Full Version : better reply to Jenna

Darrell Lindsey
09-29-2003, 08:43 AM
Jenna,
If you cover the demo cost,you will get the benefit of aggressive song pitching on my part.
You won't have to pay for blank tapes,postage,tip sheets
to stay current with the market,phone calls,anything.
I would let you know any time the song has been pitched, and to what artist or publisher.
A 50% owner of a song deserves that kind of consideration.

absolutewrite
10-04-2003, 02:41 AM
Thanks, Darrell! That's just what I was wondering. I'm so busy with other areas of writing right now (books and articles) that I don't have time to learn all the proper protocol of songwriting, making contacts, etc. My fiance is a terrific songwriter and musician, but hates country music-- and those are the lyrics I typically write, so he'd rather not touch them. I'll send a few your way to see if our styles mesh.

biotales
03-29-2004, 11:19 PM
Jenna,
There are questions that you need to ask anyone before you email or snail mail any song to anyone.
1. Does the song have to be a full blown demo before they hear the song? Or will guitar/piano vocals do for just a first listen to?
2. 60% of what? The song? The publishing?
3. Where are they pitching it? Nashville,. New York, LA?
4. Are they professionally attached to a music publishing company?
5. Are they BMI, ASCAP, SESAC? Are they registered as a publisher, songwriter?
Think and ask many questions before turning your songs over to anyone>
Biotales

rtilryarms
03-30-2004, 12:56 AM
Sounds like you are in the business. Why don't you intro yourself in the Newbie room?

I'd like to see this board a little more active but there is nothing to talk about

RT

biotales
03-30-2004, 01:15 AM
I did post a hello in the newbie area. I just did not go into any great detail on experiance. NO I am not a songwriter but I am in the business. Yes I have been published. Until I get comfortable I would like to keep my resume to myself for a while.
Biotales

Crystal Rivers
03-31-2005, 12:33 AM
I once entered a songwriting contest and about a year later, I heard a popular C&W song that had the same unique title with only one word changed. The idea I gave in my song was so similar that if I had the money, I would've sued. Since that time, I am leary of contests and others who may not be so honest.

Darrell, are you a member of NSAI? I used to be, but let my membership slide after a few years. I did learn a lot through that organization and their seminars held in various places, including Nashville. Met a few famous songwriters, too.