PDA

View Full Version : PA AUTHORS I would like to welcome you to AW!

TwentyFour
02-14-2007, 08:28 PM
cc

Gravity
02-14-2007, 08:51 PM
We've got a hot tub? Dang. I could use a good soak. I've been here three years and haven't seen it yet. Where ya'll keeping it?? :D

BenPanced
02-14-2007, 10:27 PM
And please note: we're not here to judge you! So you made a mistake and went with a bogus publisher? You'll find many people here who fell for PA's song and can relate.

Come on in and ask questions. I just put out a cheese ball and some crackers.

Pagey's_Girl
02-15-2007, 03:23 AM
*Brings in a big tray of cookies*

CatSlave
02-15-2007, 03:50 AM
And if you're not comfortable posting at first, that's okay. Lurk for awhile, see what there is to see here on the forum.
There's a LOT of good information here, and one or two nice people also. :)
Well, maybe more than one or two.
Pull up a chair, make yourself at home, but I got dibs on the hot tub.

LeslieB
02-15-2007, 04:05 AM
*starts spearing chunks of meat and cheese with long toothpicks*

Join us! This is a wonderful place for writers. There is so much you can learn here.

Gravity
02-15-2007, 05:38 AM
Anybody bring bean dip? I could have sworn I saw bean dip...rats. Guess not. Okay, anybody bring some of those little cocktail weenies in that tangy, you know, barbecue sauce...?

BenPanced
02-15-2007, 09:06 AM
<momtone>Gravity. Those are for the guests.</momtone>

Saundra Julian
02-15-2007, 04:53 PM
Here I come with the little cocktail weenies and bean dip!

This is a great place to improve your writing skills...come join us.

NCRomanceWriter
02-15-2007, 06:55 PM
Momentarily delurking to snatch a cocktail weenie and leave behind some rum balls...

spike
02-15-2007, 10:38 PM
Anybody bring bean dip? I could have sworn I saw bean dip...rats. Guess not. Okay, anybody bring some of those little cocktail weenies in that tangy, you know, barbecue sauce...?

No cocktail weenies here...but I have some cocktails? Anyone for a martini? Jack and Coke?

Ken Schneider
02-16-2007, 02:39 AM
Yes friends, come into the light. I know, I was one of you. Enlightenment and learning will set you free. Learn about the publishing industry. And, as PA is often fond to say. Don't believe everything you hear. Yes, especially from them.

Welcome.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
02-16-2007, 02:45 AM
Yuppers. I was one of you, too. If they'll welcome me and make me feel at home, you've got it made in the shade! :)

Come on in. Really. You'll like it here.

Pagey's_Girl
02-16-2007, 04:40 AM
*Orders-in a great big platter of hot wings*

Welcome to AW! Make yourselves at home.

And keep your fork; there's pie...

James D. Macdonald
02-16-2007, 05:33 AM
Royalty time is just around the corner. We're expecting a big influx....

Moon Daughter
02-16-2007, 07:40 PM
Yes...welcome PA authors. This site welcomes everyone (it doesn't hurt that they're pretty nice AND helpful).

Where's the hot tub? When I find it, I'm going to summersault my way in there with my ski suit on. ;)

Sean D. Schaffer
02-17-2007, 11:24 AM
Don't be afraid to come here and learn. I was once a PA author, too, and I can tell you, these people are, for the most part, some of the friendliest people on the 'Net, IMO. If you come and talk about what's good or bad about PA, I'm sure you'll receive the same respect due any writer. We do care about your careers and dreams, and we do the best we can to help people achieve them.

I'm still unpublished, save for my PA book, but I've learned so much in the last two years that I'm now more efficient and more productive in my writing aspirations. I don't think I would have done so, without a community of writers--professional and non-professional alike--such as AW.

:welcome:

Josh1971
04-13-2007, 07:31 AM
Well, I already posted in the big huge thread about PA, and it's good to be welcomed by others who know of PA's evils, or have been tricked by their evils as well.

I'm glad it was only 2 books of the series, as I have 5 written, #6 underway, and the first (R O U G H) draft of #8. Ye Gods! If I had that number of books with them....

My favorite PA fact- one of their celebrity authors is Klinger!

Now then, is there both Jack Daniels AND Coke around here? I'm thirsty...

Good to have a new publishing resource haunt,
Josh

James D. Macdonald
04-13-2007, 07:39 AM
Welcome! Here's your JD. Lots of Coke in the tub over there.

My best advice is to put the series on hold for a bit and write a stand-alone. Start sending it around.

Series are tough to sell. Even more so if the first volume is a reprint. After you've already gotten a sales history, then's the time to try to re-sell the series.

Pagey's_Girl
04-13-2007, 04:42 PM
Welcome, Josh!

Jersey Chick
04-13-2007, 06:03 PM
I've got the nachos, blue cheese dressing for the wings, and plenty of ice :)

Gravity
04-13-2007, 06:07 PM
...what, no pork rinds...? :Shrug:

ccomer
04-13-2007, 06:32 PM
I use to be PA and I'm still alive and here. So see, AW won't kill ya. Their food isn't that good tho. weenies?

Gravity
04-13-2007, 07:43 PM
...yeah, but...we still need pork rinds...

Jersey Chick
04-13-2007, 08:27 PM
Do you want me to go get those pork rinds?

Anything else while I'm out? Speak up or forever hold your peace (or is it piece?) :D

James D. Macdonald
04-13-2007, 08:27 PM
Got yer pork rinds right here (http://www.google.com/froogle?q=pork+rinds&btnG=Search), and best news is they're low carb!

Gravity
04-13-2007, 08:56 PM
Dang. That site had more pork rinds than a feller could shake a pig at. Thanks, Unk!

DaveKuzminski
04-13-2007, 08:59 PM
Being a sweet southern girl that I am, I made potatoe salad and fried chicken! Eat up!

Yep, tastes just like T-Rex (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18075420/)! ;)

BenPanced
04-14-2007, 12:30 AM
Hey, if we're talking about regional favorites, I haven't had Seifert's potato chips (http://www.troyerfarms.com/) since I moved from Indiana.

spike
04-14-2007, 12:36 AM
You want regional favorites? I'll bring peirogies, shoe-fly pie, and funny cake. And even though Easter is over, I'll make some fastnachts.

JulieB
04-14-2007, 01:28 AM
I just bought some fresh mocha java beans. I'll make a big o' pot o' coffee!

Rolling Thunder
04-14-2007, 01:33 AM
Kewl. New writers?

ccomer
04-14-2007, 02:31 AM
Glacier hot dogs from upstate NY. Can't find those here in Mexico or California. Another, Habitant pea soup.

JulieB
04-14-2007, 03:28 AM
Oh, and I've got a really good street vendor salsa recipe. Anyone want to bring some tostadas?

Jersey Chick
04-14-2007, 04:33 AM
If it's local you're after, I've got a great tomato pie... slice anyone?

JimmyD1318
04-14-2007, 05:50 AM
Ewww...lol. I can't see myself making one of those.

I can make collard greens, pintos beans, a pone of corn bread, and sweet tea...Allen, I made you some sweet tea!

Hey what about me? I love SWEET TEA! Allen you better be willing to share that tea! Oh, and Gravity, pass the pork rinds! Got extra hot?:)

NTG
04-14-2007, 03:27 PM
You want regional favorites? I'll bring peirogies, shoe-fly pie, and funny cake. And even though Easter is over, I'll make some fastnachts.

Anybody who knows what a peirogie is, is OK in my book, no matter how you spell it! (pirogi, pieroughie, whatever. . .)
I'll bring the sour cream.

Pagey's_Girl
04-14-2007, 03:35 PM
*Brings in a cheesecake with butter-cookie crust* Make yourselves at home, everyone. :)

JimmyD1318
04-14-2007, 04:57 PM
*Brings in a cheesecake with butter-cookie crust* Make yourselves at home, everyone. :)

Mmmmmmm........Cheesecake....my favorite!
Now for some pork rinds.....Hey Gravity! You ATE them all! Man..:cry:

amber_grosjean
04-15-2007, 05:31 PM
You know, I've read a lot of these posts that say some negative things about PA. A quite a few of them are a year old (well a little more , 2005). I know people have problems with every publisher there is but why pick one and then just bash it until someone closes down the thread?

A lot of the warnings that I read were repetitive. It was like these people were trying to make it look worse than it was. We are all writers and readers. There are people out there who are just readers. Those people usually don't look for books only published by a certain house. Who cares who published the book besides the person who wrote it? The concern should be for if the book is any good. It should sell by merit not publisher. Now if the publisher only accpets people with bog names like Stephen King, I can understand why someone would make a fuss over it. But to fuss over a company that accpets no name writers and at least gives them a chance when no one else will, what's the big deal. Its better than paying 100-1,000$ to publish a book yourself. To me, those are the scams, not someone who will do it for free plus pay the author royalties. All authors have to promote their own books to an extent. It doesn't matter who the house is, the author must contribute or the sales will be low.

I'm sorry. I just don't understand why people have to bash houses. If an author gets published and learns they didn't like the company, its ok. It gets chalked up for a lesson learned and they move on. Meanwhile, they have that book sitting on their shelf and a few people have one too. It wasn't all for nothing. Some of us aren't in it to become rich. Some of us are in it simply to be read. A few have become rich along the way but not many, compared to how many of us there are. We're supposed to be a family, so to speak. We should support each other, no matter what mistakes we all make cause we are all human first, writers second. I'm sure a lot of us are adults. I'm not ashamed of being published by PA. They gave me a chance. And everyone who has read my book loves it and can't wait for the next one to come out. I'm honored about that. The message boards on PA are filled with people being nice to each other and giving each other advice and we promote each other's books on our websites. We don't bash other houses just because we didn't like something or felt we were robbed because we were turned down or didn't get the sales we thought we deserved. We were merely there and offered our shoulder and said its all right.

I'm sorry, I just had to say this. It bothers me to know there are so many people who don't think before posting things. I don't come here very often because of it. We are writers. We should focus on writing and helping each other improve our writing and maybe giving each other tips on sending ms out. If we find a great house worth mentioning for others to try their luck, its ok but to continuously cut one down is nonsense and some of us should grow up. Thank you

DragonHeart
04-15-2007, 05:47 PM
Some of us are in it simply to be read.

That's the thing. No matter how good your book is, how fantastic the writing, you won't ever be read if you go with PA.

~DragonHeart~

kristie911
04-15-2007, 06:08 PM
Amber,

I'm glad that you're experience with PA has been positive. But the PA "bashing" you read here isn't bashing because it's true. PublishAmerica is a scam, they pull in writers with promises they never plan on keeping. What little editing they do to you book will probably make it worse. And if you do sell books, you probably won't get the royalties you think you will. If you read some other threads you'll see there are people that recieve royalty checks for zero when they have proof books were sold.

Not everyone has a negative experience but most do. We're not here simply "bashing" a publisher because we weren't accepted by them...in fact, almost no one is turned down by PA...probably because PA doesn't actually read the manuscripts it accepts. There is plenty of documented proof of that!

PA is scum that preys on unsuspecting writers and that is absolutely dispicable on their part!

LloydBrown
04-15-2007, 06:10 PM
A quite a few of them are a year old (well a little more , 2005).

Can I ask you to clarify your point here? Yes, some posts are older than others. Some are from today. What difference does it make?

why pick one and then just bash it until someone closes down the thread?

If that was happening, I would wonder why, too. However, people aren't just saying random hateful things (and neither is the thread being closed down). They're providing specific reasons why PA isn't a good choice for an author, and they're providing concrete support for those reasons.

A lot of the warnings that I read were repetitive. That's because new people come along and come to the same conclusions once they've looked at PA more closely. It's also to keep the material fresh for new people who come along and haven't read the entire NEPAT (I have!)

Who cares who published the book besides the person who wrote it? You're right in that readers generally don't look at the publisher. However, Publish America, for example, doesn't put your book in front of readers. Also, the few people who do notice quickly realize that PA doesn't select books for their commercial quality and so they quit reading them.

gives them a chance when no one else will, What "chance" do they give you? They don't do anything you can't do yourself in 4 hours with Lulu, except take your rights away for 7 years, add errors to your book, overprice your book, and lie to you. Of all of the publishing options out there, I can't think of one as bad as PA.

better than paying 100-1,000$ to publish a book yourself. The average PA author spends over $500 on his own books and probably an equal amount in pointless "promotion" suggested on the PA message board. Plus registering your own copyright for $45. That's not free.

To me, those are the scams, At least they're up front about it, instead of using deceitful language on their website.

not someone who will do it for free plus pay the author royalties. As we've seen, the experience is not free, and there is substantial evidence that PA shorts their authors royalties.

All authors have to promote their own books to an extent. It doesn't matter who the house is, the author must contribute or the sales will be low. Patently not true. It's a lie PA tells you in order to convince you to buy your own books.

Some of us are in it simply to be read. Then put it on a website for free.

A few have become rich No PA author has become rich. In fact, I would not be surprised if NONE of them have earned more than they've spent.

The message boards on PA are filled with people being nice to each other except when they're not. Besides--how does that help you sell books?

giving each other advice Stupid, lying advice most of the time. None of those "experts" on the PA message board has sold more than a couple of hundred books. Some of them haven't broken a hundred yet. Why would you listen to them? Uncle Jim has sold over 100,000 copies of a single title--without handling any of them himself. Listen to him.

and we promote each other's books on our websites. Which doesn't help sales at all.

spike
04-15-2007, 07:51 PM
HEY? This thread was to welcome PA authors, not bash them or hurt anyone! Can't someone take those kinds of posts to the other PA threads that deal with PA and its policies. PLEASE...Take it to NEPAT or something. I don't want this thread to be another fighting drama. PLEASE..?

Since when is pointing out the truth bashing?

Whatever, I'm sure one of the mods can move it.

LeslieB
04-15-2007, 08:12 PM
Welcome to AW, Amber. No matter what you have done in the past, we want only the best for you in the future. So settle down in a comfy chair, have some of the nice snacks we have put out for visitors, and read. There is so much more here than the PA board. With what you can learn at AW, you could find an agent and be published by a company that really will give your book 'the chance it deserves'. I hope you stay.

Tsu Dho Nimh
04-15-2007, 08:13 PM
But to fuss over a company that accpets no name writers and at least gives them a chance when no one else will, what's the big deal. Its better than paying 100-1,000$ to publish a book yourself. To me, those are the scams, not someone who will do it for free plus pay the author royalties. All authors have to promote their own books to an extent. It doesn't matter who the house is, the author must contribute or the sales will be low.

Read this thread:
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10211

They did not "give you a chance", their business model is based on selling 75-100 or so books to hundreds or thousands of authors and their immediate circle of influence. Other publishers do what it takes to sell books to people who don't know the author and will never meet them.

If you were a first-time author with Harlequin, you would have an advance of a couple thousand dollars, and they would get your competitively priced book onto the shelves of bookstores and libraries all over the country. They would have a couple thousand of them sold before they went to press, and would have well-known authors review the pre-press copies to get quotes for the covers.

We should support each other, no matter what mistakes we all make cause we are all human first, writers second.

Support does not consist of mindlessly cheering everyone's actions. If you decided to stroll down the middle of the railroad tracks, would it be unsupportive to point out that the freight trains come along every 10 minutes?

I'm not ashamed of being published by PA. They gave me a chance. And everyone who has read my book loves it and can't wait for the next one to come out.

You may have a GREAT book ... but it will never be stocked in bookstores where it can be discovered by readers because PA's business practices (no catalog, exorbitant price, unacceptable return policy) ensure bookstores won't stock it.

endless rewrite
04-15-2007, 08:45 PM
Hi Amber,

I know you have made these points before when you first joined AW but welcome again. I hope you are doing well with your book. I see the PA lights still shines bright for you and if that's what makes you happy - great. But if you make a post that is full of positive points about PA that can be refuted, they will be, it is not an attack on you.

And everyone who has read my book loves it and can't wait for the next one to come out.

It would be a good thing if you weren't in direct communication with everyone that has read your book unless your aim was to sell only to people you know.

The message boards on PA are filled with people being nice to each other

and those who do not play PA nice and speak the truth are banned.

and giving each other advice and we promote each other's books on our websites.

With all that good advice and free promotion floating about why hasn't one PA author (and we are talking 20 000 authors) made significant sales?

Think about it logically Amber, do you really think people are bad mouthing PA because they are mean, nasty, uncaring people? The reason PA generates more bad press than every vanity publisher in existence combined is that it is a bad choice for writers.

Before I get shouted at in large, red font by the good will police - welcome, good luck and best wishes, happy Easter, Christmas and other holidays. Sell a million books, have a huge bucket of food and some M&Ms, welcome, welcome, welcome.

Jersey Chick
04-15-2007, 09:09 PM
Hi Amber! Grab a comfy chair, a cool, tasty beverage, and have a snack. We're really an ok group. I hope you like it here. The amount of info is incredible, there are some great **ahem** debates running wild, and some fun conversations that'll make you laugh out loud.

Enjoy!

ccomer
04-15-2007, 09:21 PM
Hi Amber
welcome and I wish you the best with your book and PA. I was with PA and decided before I went to far with them, to leave. We all make our own decisions on what we feel is right for us. Everyone has their own opinions, as you have yours. Check out the other threads here and enjoy.

www.freewebs.com/ccomer

Sheryl Nantus
04-15-2007, 09:52 PM
I don't come here very often because of it.

you should come here more often - the advice you get HERE is valid and legitimate, unlike those put out by many of the PA supporters.

HERE you find authors that have been published by many houses, the large ones such as Random House and Tor and the smaller ones, such as Ellora's Cave and Mundania. HERE you find experts in the fields of nonfiction and the many fiction genres that can help you develop as a writer. HERE you can talk to REAL agents and have a discussion with experts in their own right.

at the PAMB and others like it you get only rumors and mis/disinformation put out by people who should, frankly, know better. If you want to be a better writer spend more time HERE and not at those other sites.

'nuff said.

amber_grosjean
04-15-2007, 10:38 PM
SouthernWriter--

You're right. We don't need another thread. Some of the things that have been said are opinions. I was never lied to. I was never promised anything. And I have been to other websites who do say thay can't promote the author 24-7, in so many words. And can you blame them? Look how many authors work with them. There is probably more authors than editors so promoting each and every author who walks through their door and is published. We as authors must do some promoting of our own in order to get the sales we want. It only makes sense.

Now on the good note. I do welcome all PA authors here. We are authors too and we do get read. I know that for a fact. I haven't paid for the copyrights, it was included. And I didn't spend hundreds of dollars buying my own books. Yes, I buy a few to keep on hand as gifts and to show people I know but that's it. I'm sure there are a few other PA authors here who agree with me. But lets not argue about it. This is my publisher and those who are published with them are my brothers and sisters. I will defend PA as long as I can but I will lay low because I was asked to. Truth or not, bashing is when you continue to cut something down.

Welcome to the forum and have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Choose your publisher using your own opinion not someone elses. You have to live with it, not them.

jamiehall
04-16-2007, 01:25 AM
Welcome Amber! Here's a party just for you:

:welcome: :TheWave: :welcome:
:hooray: :partyguy: :PartySmil :banana: :banana: :Jump: :banana: :wag:

I'm glad you haven't been scared away from the board by all the anti-PA stuff here. Everyone feels like defending their own publisher, it's a natural feeling. Be assured that none of the anti-PA stuff is an attack on you or your book. We wish the best for all authors here, which is why we try to sniff out problems with publishers, agents, writing contests and other things that affect authors. Look at how big the "bewares" section here is! We have a thread on just about everyone who is anyone! We want to make sure that all authors are advised of possible problems before they sign up to be a guinea pig. And, afterwards, we want them to be informed too, because in some cases they can reverse some of the damage if they choose to. It's all about information, freedom and options. Everyone makes their own choices here.

Gravity
04-16-2007, 01:47 AM
It's all about information, freedom and options. Everyone makes their own choices here.

Exactly so. The streams of PA refugees seems to come here in cycles, most frequently after the arrival of royalty checks (or lack thereof). Most--especially those PA authors who wanted different treatment or better exposure or lower cover prices--will be shell-blasted, angry, and suspicious. Others, like Amber and Alien Enigma--who only wanted a dozen or so copies run off to give as gifts--will naturally be surprised at all the fuss folks are making here at their choice of printers.

To each his own, and as long as the river of information stays free-flowing (which it will), we'll be welcoming people from both PA camps.

Sheryl Nantus
04-16-2007, 01:50 AM
To each his own, and as long as the flow of information stays free-flowing (which it will), we'll be welcoming people from both PA camps.

true... this board, unlike *others*, at least allows free speech.

go onto the PAMB and ask questions or to other boards and inquire about certain things and your account will be "whacked" before you get a chance to log out.

if PA is so above-board, then why do they delete posts and ban their own authors? I don't recall any other legitimate publisher doing so...

Arkie
04-16-2007, 02:40 AM
true... this board, unlike *others*, at least allows free speech.

go onto the PAMB and ask questions or to other boards and inquire about certain things and your account will be "whacked" before you get a chance to log out.

if PA is so above-board, then why do they delete posts and ban their own authors? I don't recall any other legitimate publisher doing so...

I've said it once on here somewhere, but it bears repeating. PA must keep their public board completely positive, because it's one of their primary recruiting tools for new book-buying authors. Negative posts are deleated quickly or sometimes (if they are not too overboard) moved to the private board, where the poster can get mauled by the zealots.

James D. Macdonald
04-16-2007, 04:11 AM
Hi, Amber. If Gravity hadn't eaten all the pork rinds I'd offer you some. (And to think, I brought the pork rinds....)

I'd be glad to talk about PA's business practices and such, but not here. Overflow (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26568), or the main Never Ending PublishAmerica Thread (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26537) (NEPAT) perhaps might be better.

Since we don't have any pork rinds, would you like to try the bean dip? It's a little spicy but it's really good.

Gravity
04-16-2007, 04:28 AM
:::burrrrp::: Thanks, Unk.

JimmyD1318
04-16-2007, 04:32 AM
I know....Gravity ate all the pork rinds!:rant: Oh well, pass the bean dip Uncle Jim. <MUNCH> <MUNCH> :eek: HOT! HOT! HOT! Quick some tea...or water or something! <GULP> <GLUP> <GLUP> <GLUP> Ahhhhhh.......:D ! That was good!

DeadlyAccurate
04-16-2007, 04:37 AM
You call that spicy? Bah, you northerners don't know the meaning of spicy bean dip. Here, have some real bean dip.

JimmyD1318
04-16-2007, 05:11 AM
You call that spicy? Bah, you northerners don't know the meaning of spicy bean dip. Here, have some real bean dip.

Hey, I'm from Memphis, TN. Alright I'll show you...give me that bean dip!

<MUNCH> <MUNCH> <MUNCH>

Oh...NO...!:Jaw:

Ahhhhhhhh.....WATER, WATER ,WATER! <SPLASH!> (Dove into the hottub!)

NOW THAT'S SOME GOOD STUFF!!:roll:

DeadlyAccurate
04-16-2007, 05:33 AM
Oh, sorry, Jimmy. That was the mild. Here's the Texas-style bean dip.

Sean D. Schaffer
04-16-2007, 06:57 AM
Amber,

It's good of you to post here. I would agree that what really matters is you have fun and use AW as a good resource. And just so you know, several of us here, when we first joined, were either pro-PA or somewhere on the fence. (The latter scenario is where I was when I first joined.)

It's always good to have someone new come in and add to the conversation. But try to remember, like many of us had to be reminded, that there is plenty more to AW than just this particular portion of the board. I hope you stick around the portions of the forum you find the most useful, and don't worry about the PA forums if they're a bother to you. What matters is you're a writer, and we're here to help each other become better writers and to help each other advance in our careers.

I hope you have yourself a wonderful week ahead, and I wish you all the best in your writing endeavors.

:)

JimmyD1318
04-16-2007, 04:42 PM

<SLOSH> <SLOSH> <SLOSH> (Water in pants)

The..the mild? Uh...no thanks...I think I'm going to go and sit by the bar and dry off. So in other words...:flag:

BenPanced
04-16-2007, 05:22 PM
Hey, guys! Pizza's here!

We got veggie, we got sausage, we got pepperoni, we got supreme ultra deluxe, and we got the fruit 'n' crustacean special (pineapple and shrimp).

Hey, what's that sound? It sounds like thunder, only it's getting closer...:eek:

Pagey's_Girl
04-16-2007, 05:23 PM

Mmmm - hey, this stuff is good. Nice and spicy.

JimmyD1318
04-16-2007, 06:33 PM
Mmmm - hey, this stuff is good. Nice and spicy.

You're braver than me! <SLOSH> <SLOSH>....man! I'm not dried out yet! Can you please pass a peice of pizza? I have to hurry before Gravity gets back from the beer run! Man already ate all of the pork rinds, I'll be dang if he's beating me to the pizza. By the way...loved the cheesecake!:)

JimmyD1318
04-16-2007, 06:36 PM
LOL, Sorry for that. Sorry:flag: to anyone who thought I was being mean or loud:rant: , just made it big so everyone would notice it and take heed.

I will keep my loud, red marker in my pocket now.:Hug2:

No problem Southern...it's your party after all! Oh and by the way...I wouldn't look out back at the hot tub if I were you. I...I sorta caused a...a mess! Once I dry out I'll get the mop and clean it up.

allenparker
04-16-2007, 06:38 PM
I can make collard greens, pintos beans, a pone of corn bread, and sweet tea...Allen, I made you some sweet tea!

Much thanks.... And I brought the family recipe in the fruit jar for anyone with the sniffles. I think I feel a cold coming on.

JimmyD1318
04-16-2007, 06:45 PM
Ah, a Tennessee man after my own heart!

Awwww....(BLUSH)......here you go!:e2flowers For you, our wonderful hostess! Now if only I could get dried off!

endless rewrite
04-16-2007, 06:45 PM
No need for an apology but thanks anyway. I was running out of both good will and welcome which isn't a good thing on a welcome thread, not a good thing at all. By the way, what the hell is a pone of bread? If you pass one my way, I shall send you a stottie.

ccomer
04-16-2007, 08:47 PM
no one has had spicy unless you've lived in Mexico.
talk about spicy, I have the salsa. Mexican style. they have so many different peppers that the smell alone will make you sweat.

JimmyD1318
04-16-2007, 09:02 PM
talk about spicy, I have the salsa. Mexican style. they have so many different peppers that the smell alone will make you sweat.

Please...nothing spicy for me....I already jumped into the hot tube once, I don't want to do it again!:Shrug:

JulieB
04-16-2007, 10:48 PM

We make it hot in Texas, too! I grow my own habeneros!

amber_grosjean
04-18-2007, 10:19 AM
You're right. Maybe I should just stay away from the PA message boards. That way, I don't see anything and feel that I have to respond saving everyone. I don't mean to be so full of hot air. I spent all my life having to defend myself over my writing or anything I have done in my life. My family thinks I made a bad career choice cause it doesn't put bread on the table and I just can't do it at all. I proved them wrong just by being published in the first place. I know I won't make anything right now but all the big authors started somewhere so its just up hill from here. I am confident in my work and so is my husband and all my close friends. They are the ones who are around me all the time and they are the ones who I care the most about, besides my kids of course (they think its cool Mommy wrote a book too even though they can't read it at their ages). I know I am a good writer but I also know I can be better. Over the last 20 years that I have been writing, I have improved 100% and there's more room so I learn about the craft as I go. My imagination can be bizzare at times but that's ok. People like me because of that so I'm cool. Thank you!

Gravity
04-18-2007, 05:14 PM
Maybe I should just stay away from the PA message boards. That way, I don't see anything and feel that I have to respond saving everyone.

Amber, you'll soon find out that reading the PA boards can (and will) break your heart. Because it's true you can't save everyone there. And some don't wish to be saved.

CatSlave
04-18-2007, 09:52 PM
Amber, I don't think you're full of hot air. You sound like a lady serious about promoting your work, and wanting to see other writers succeed also. No one can fault you for that. Concentrate on your writing, learn as much as you can about how the real publishing world works, and focus on perfecting your craft. And *congratulations* for writing a book. That is a wonderful accomplishment you and your family can be proud of. Now keep writing! :)

amber_grosjean
04-27-2007, 05:10 AM
Catslave
Thank you and I do plan on continueing my writing. It is something I've been doing since I was 11 years old and as I look back at those days, I can remember some things I wrote in parts. How I wrote has changed, including who I want to write for. Back then I only wanted to write for people my age which was teenagers. Now I write from young children to adults in many genres. I just need to find the right house for them which I believe is possible. I've never given up and I don't expect to start now because I love this thing I do. If anything, I want to spread this one message: Dreams really do come true, never give up!

Seminole
05-30-2007, 06:01 AM
I recently published through PA and I have a couple of devilís advocate observations to share:

First, the traditional publishing business has gone through considerable change in recent years and Ė I would wager Ė it is harder now for new authors to be considered by traditional publishing houses than was true a couple of decades ago. Yes, there are more readers because the population is larger, but the percentage of book readers is shrinking. Gen X, Gen Y, and the Millennium Generation do not buy printed books as much as previous generations. There is shrinking readership that is coupled with the phenomenon of word-processing in every home that makes writing easier than ever before. There are probably many more manuscripts floating around these days simply because people who would never have worked through five hundred pages on a typewriter can now manage it. I do understand why publishers donít want to read unknown authors. They would be buried in submissions at the same time the market for books is drying up. And my experience says agents have followed right behind the publishers in this behavior and for the same reasons. They donít want to read unknowns, either. Consequently, whatís a writer to do? In a sense, the closed and locked doors in the traditional world have opened wide the doors for PA and created an environment where PA can thrive. We need a PA and the publishing world needs a PA.

Secondly, I think POD is the wave of the future. In many ways, PA is to publishing what the University of Phoenix is to college education. Phoenix and PA both share dubious reputations and both are using the available technology to revolutionize their industries. Whatever one thinks about the University of Phoenix, that institution has had a profound impact on all the traditional universities in this country, from coast to coast. While besmirching the quality of education delivered at Phoenix, all universities and colleges are now emulating in one way or another what the University of Phoenix invented. That same phenomenon is going to happen in the publishing world, too, and has likely begun already. The change will become a true publishing revolution when a publishing house with integrity assumes PAís POD model, attends to the areas of concern about PA, and then delivers some best-sellers. However, that publishing house is not here yet.

Youíll notice that I am not dismissing the criticisms of PA: poor to non-existent editing, poor to non-existent promotional support, terribly counterproductive pricing and return policies, low standards in accepting manuscripts, poor quality of binding, and on, and on. Still, I and so many PA author-whiners out there did get published and we got published at zero cost to ourselves. We donít have to buy any books if we donít want to. We donít have to promote them if we donít want to. How we choose to take advantage of having a book published is up to us. Itís true weíre not with the publishing houses we wanted to be with, but remember those holier-than-thou publishers would not even look at our work.

James D. Macdonald
05-30-2007, 08:30 AM
Hi, Seminole! It's good to have a new voice.

I'll be happy to discuss your points in other threads here -- as SouthernWriter says, this is the welcome thread. Please check out the NEPAT Overflow, or even the main NEPAT itself.

JimmyD1318
05-30-2007, 04:54 PM
Seminole, first off--Welcome to AW! I see you are new here and this is the first post you have made.

Next, there are many threads here where you can write about how good, bad, or ugly PA is, so please leave the welcome thread as just a welcome and to say hi. I know it might be hard to do, but it serves as no point to bring down this thread. It was stated a few posts back that this thread is not one to discuss PA business.

I do however hope you stick around and will come to enjoy AW as much as me! :)

Sorry...:cry: Southern

CatSlave
05-30-2007, 08:45 PM
Welcome, Seminole.
You bring up some interesting points, and I look forward to further discussions on the other threads.
:welcome:

JulieB
05-31-2007, 05:11 PM
Welcome to AW, Seminole. Take a chair, have a cup o' virtual java.

Maddog
06-08-2007, 02:02 AM
We're expecting a new arrival at any moment! Check out the PAMB quotes thread. I'm putting the cookies in the oven right now!:D

luckygyrl1005
07-04-2007, 08:13 PM
Hello, everyone! I am quite embarassed to say that I am a PA author. I was dumb enough to do it TWICE! I've learned, and I did work hard writing my books. I was so excited when my book was accepted, and published. But disappointed when I got my royality (HA,HA,HA) check. I have just recently finished my third book, and am looking for an agent. I will not be using the same name as I used with PA. I don't want to be the laughing stock of a new publisher. I hope my career isn't over!

CatSlave
07-04-2007, 08:20 PM
Hello, everyone! I am quite embarassed to say that I am a PA author. I was dumb enough to do it TWICE! I've learned, and I did work hard writing my books. I was so excited when my book was accepted, and published. But disappointed when I got my royality (HA,HA,HA) check. I have just recently finished my third book, and am looking for an agent. I will not be using the same name as I used with PA. I don't want to be the laughing stock of a new publisher. I hope my career isn't over!
:welcome: Welcome to AW.
There are a number of former PA people here; no need to feel embarrassed. I'm glad you found us.

endless rewrite
07-04-2007, 08:34 PM
Welcome to AW, maybe you will be third time luckygyrl soon. Plenty of PA authors go on to bigger and better things, having the guts and determination to move forward is the first step so congratulations.

Mel
07-04-2007, 09:06 PM
:welcome: to AW, luckygyrl1005! Nothing to be embarrassed about. Nice to have you here and just keep writing!

JCT
07-04-2007, 09:06 PM
Amber, the desire to improve the craft is what makes us good writers. Everyone from Stephen King on down is always honing their writing, their craft. I'm always experimenting with ways to tell a story.

For instance, I just finished a novella about a monk 1,000 years in the future. Probably unpublishable but I did it to see if a method of narration I was experimenting with works. I'm pleased to say it did and the novella came out exactly as I planned it, a rare feat for me. Now I want to try it on a novel size work.

luckygyrl1005
07-04-2007, 09:32 PM
Thank you all so much! I plan on writing for a long time! I have high hopes for my book.

Glenda
07-26-2007, 05:56 AM
I love your Welcome sign.

Old Hack
08-02-2007, 11:11 AM
I'm hoping that we'll have a new visitor here soon, so am just putting a little welcome here for him. Hello, Hellbender. You'll find what you're looking for here.

BarbJ
08-02-2007, 08:04 PM
I'm hoping that we'll have a new visitor here soon, so am just putting a little welcome here for him. Hello, Hellbender. You'll find what you're looking for here.

And don't worry about the cat; he's a lousy aim. :welcome:

alexandra6
09-19-2007, 05:06 PM
It's hard to get published in this day and age, and it's been a long hard road you've traveled to finish a task such as creating a book. You've created a world of intrigue, mystery, love, hate, corruption, angst, lust, fear, loathing, curiosity, and characters that you love and hate.

It took me 7 years to finish my novel, maybe it took you less time or more, that in itself is a great feat that not many can do. We applaud you! You are an author!

We don't dislike you or your book, we dislike the publisher you have, that is all. We want you to come in, post anywhere on the board and we will treat you with the respect you deserve.

I, on behalf of the whole board, want to extend a welcoming hand to you and hope you will join us. If anyone puts you down, it is against the rule and should be reported. Come on in and sit awhile at the AW roundtable, visit the hot tub, chat in the chat room.

Hope to meet you soon!

Thanks!

Alexandra

alexandra6
09-19-2007, 05:14 PM
You know, I've read a lot of these posts that say some negative things about PA. A quite a few of them are a year old (well a little more , 2005). I know people have problems with every publisher there is but why pick one and then just bash it until someone closes down the thread?

A lot of the warnings that I read were repetitive. It was like these people were trying to make it look worse than it was. We are all writers and readers. There are people out there who are just readers. Those people usually don't look for books only published by a certain house. Who cares who published the book besides the person who wrote it? The concern should be for if the book is any good. It should sell by merit not publisher. Now if the publisher only accpets people with bog names like Stephen King, I can understand why someone would make a fuss over it. But to fuss over a company that accpets no name writers and at least gives them a chance when no one else will, what's the big deal. Its better than paying 100-1,000$ to publish a book yourself. To me, those are the scams, not someone who will do it for free plus pay the author royalties. All authors have to promote their own books to an extent. It doesn't matter who the house is, the author must contribute or the sales will be low.

I'm sorry. I just don't understand why people have to bash houses. If an author gets published and learns they didn't like the company, its ok. It gets chalked up for a lesson learned and they move on. Meanwhile, they have that book sitting on their shelf and a few people have one too. It wasn't all for nothing. Some of us aren't in it to become rich. Some of us are in it simply to be read. A few have become rich along the way but not many, compared to how many of us there are. We're supposed to be a family, so to speak. We should support each other, no matter what mistakes we all make cause we are all human first, writers second. I'm sure a lot of us are adults. I'm not ashamed of being published by PA. They gave me a chance. And everyone who has read my book loves it and can't wait for the next one to come out. I'm honored about that. The message boards on PA are filled with people being nice to each other and giving each other advice and we promote each other's books on our websites. We don't bash other houses just because we didn't like something or felt we were robbed because we were turned down or didn't get the sales we thought we deserved. We were merely there and offered our shoulder and said its all right.

I'm sorry, I just had to say this. It bothers me to know there are so many people who don't think before posting things. I don't come here very often because of it. We are writers. We should focus on writing and helping each other improve our writing and maybe giving each other tips on sending ms out. If we find a great house worth mentioning for others to try their luck, its ok but to continuously cut one down is nonsense and some of us should grow up. Thank you

I am trying to end my thread I began at the PA forum because of this. I am getting more negative response rather then neutral, constructive conversations leading to a better opinion and outlook. It takes courage and balls to speak out and do it with respect, valid points and know your putting yourself out there. There will always be people who just won't like what you have to say and that is with anything in life, not just writing.

Best to you.

Alexandra
http://www.hauntingholzer.com

Gravity
09-19-2007, 06:12 PM
What Amber never seemed to understand was that if one simply wanted a "book on their shelf", and that was all (i.e., no catalog, no sales force, and no national reviews), they could go to lulu.com and get one for free. Add in the fact the author retained the rights to their work, instead of signing them away for seven years, and the choice between PA and lulu would seem to be a no-brainer.

Oh well. Best to you as well, Alexandra.

alexandra6
09-19-2007, 09:33 PM
What Amber never seemed to understand was that if one simply wanted a "book on their shelf", and that was all (i.e., no catalog, no sales force, and no national reviews), they could go to lulu.com and get one for free. Add in the fact the author retained the rights to their work, instead of signing them away for seven years, and the choice between PA and lulu would seem to be a no-brainer.

Oh well. Best to you as well, Alexandra.

This is why the lesson I learned was a valuable one because there is so much information out there, you really have to research. This is a good piece of information! Lulu would have given me piece of mind at least.

Thanks and best to you tooooooooo!!!!

Alexandra