Sending manuscripts to foreign agencies.

Elodie-Caroline

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
elodie.the.writer.tripod.com
I am going to send off my manuscript today and I want to send it to a French firm of agencies, as this is whom my market is aimed at. I can read a French newspaper etc and would understand over half of it, but I cannot actually write the French way, I don't have the confidence to even try. I haven't done any of my French studies for years anyway, I've been too busy writing.

So, do you think it would be worth it, and do you think they would bother to read my manuscript if I gave them a really detailed synopsis of it?

Thank you... Elodie

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
From what I understand the French are very particular about who they publish, and like to support local talent. It may make the most sense to follow Penguin's advice and see if you can sell the foreign rights to France later on. Then again, if you are really determined, I'd just send the MS to agents in France because then if you don't get one and get an english agent later, your agent can still send your MS to French houses without them already having seen it.

Good luck!

Elodie-Caroline

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
elodie.the.writer.tripod.com
Thank you very much for your replies, Penguin Queen and Toothpaste.
This is all so hard to know what to do with my novel now it's finished. I really love French films and have written my story in the same way that I always view their films in my own mind's eye; I don't actually think that the Brit speaking market would know where I was coming from with my work? It really makes me wish that I had stuck with my French studies years ago, but even if I had of, I don't think I would have ever had the guts to write a story in it.
Still, I'll send it off anyway, it's not like they can Guillotine me for trying is it ;)

Thank you once again... Elodie