Let's Get Motivated...

Lavinia

Registered
Reaction score
Hi. I am looking to motivate myself and was wondering if anyone would want to join me in setting a few writing goals and then checking in here with each other. There are two weeks left of February and then there is the month of March. That makes about six weeks. Anyone game?

Some ideas;

Words per day
Finish a WIP
Submit
Write every day
Time per week
Find market for...

Whatever works for you! I'll come back later and post my goals here.

Let's Get Motivated! Lavinia

Lavinia

Registered
Reaction score
Goals: February 14 to March 28

1) Write 6000 words a week
2) Finish *A Line in the Sand*

That's it for me. Doesn't look like much, but it is. This is a book I've been working on, on and off for five years. I'm at the point where I just have to finish it. Working on it here and there isn't working. I lose momentum and then it's even more work. Now is the time. This is the year! There are other pieces I am working on too, but I won't put those as goals. I'll just keep working on them. But as for the book, THIS IS IT!

Here's to *the final push*!

Lavinia

johnzakour

Dangerous with a Keyboard
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.johnzakour.com
The only motivation I ever need is knowing that if I don't finish a project I can't sell it. :)

skelly

Kickin it old school, posers beware
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Goals: February 14 to March 28

1) Write 6000 words a week
2) Finish *A Line in the Sand*

That's it for me. Doesn't look like much, but it is. This is a book I've been working on, on and off for five years. I'm at the point where I just have to finish it. Working on it here and there isn't working. I lose momentum and then it's even more work. Now is the time. This is the year! There are other pieces I am working on too, but I won't put those as goals. I'll just keep working on them. But as for the book, THIS IS IT!

Here's to *the final push*!

Lavinia
Lavina ... keep us updated in this thread as to your progress. I will announce myself as candidate for the position of your Number One Cheerleader. :) I wish you the best with your goal. I'll be checking back here to bitc.....encourage you. ;)

Lavinia

Registered
Reaction score
Yay! I have a cheerleader! Thanks.

I worked on my WIP this afternoon and I'm probably not done for the day but a little frustrated. What I am finding is that because I've written a few essays about this particular subject PLUS I have not worked consistently on it for a few months, that I am confused. I can't remember what I've written and haven't. So for today and probably tomorrow I need to get organized and re-read it all. I have, I think about 13,000 words. It's not a straight chronological memoir so it's easy to get confused. Of course I hope to write it in a way as to not confuse anyone but me.

Anyway- it is comprised of the present day, the letters themselves and my father's recollection of what was going on during the time he wrote them.

I think what I need to do is to print it. Then I need to re-read it.

Thanks again! Lavinia

Oh and PS- I still have space available for anyone who wants to join me. Limited time only.

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
Motivated? I haven't written one word in over a month. Where is my cheerleader?

Penguin Queen

Break the rules.
Registered
Reaction score
Cardiff. Berlin. Mars. (One day.) Buenos Aires, so
Website
www.herrad.net
Ive had my mystery novel back from the first (of two) agencies who asked to see the full MS.
They've rejected it, but in a very encouraging fashion:

"Regretfully we have decided not to offer representation at this stage. [my bolding]
[Follow two paras of suggestions/critique]
If you would like to do another draft and resubmit it, I should be most happy to look at this again though I could not, of course, promise anything."
The points she make sound good and I can see - as it were - her point in making them. So I'm aiming to go back over the thing & rewrite it, with the aim of having a reworked draft ready by end March.

@Jennifer, I'll cheer you on if you cheer me on. ;) Ive been dry for a while, but I think the only way to get back into writing is, er, to get back into writing. Deadlines always help me, so setting one six weeks away strikes me as a good idea.

Lavinia

Registered
Reaction score
I'll be your cheerleader. Hey, it can be like when you were a kid and you and your friends sat in a "train" on the floor rubbing each other's back. Of course, they we have to turn so the first person gets their back rubbed too.

Glad to have you two join me. Now I don't feel so aloooooooone. I was beginning to think that I was the only one on these boards who has a motivation issue. I like that word, issue. I have issues.

Anyway- I am going to get a lot done today...I'll post later.

Lavinia

dreamsofnever

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kellyguentner.com
I would love to join you in setting up goals!

Here are my goals for February and March:
Rewrite/polish three chapters a week for Scorcher, my WIP novel.
Write two first draft pages/week on Roguestar, my comic book project.

By the end of February, I would like to have my writer's website finished.

By the end of March, I would like to have the first draft of Roguestar finished.

This is a great idea to stay motivated, and I'm cheering you on!

Lavinia

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome Dreamsofnever!

I worked on my WIP for several hours yesterday. I was thinking I'd be able to just go from where I was, at about 13,000 words, but that is not going to happen. Instead, I am going back to the beginning and adding/deleting what I've already written and then printing it off by finished chapters. Sooooooo...with that in mind, here's what I've gotten done;

1. Rewrote chapters 1-3
2. Wrote/Revamped/added to a total of 6,000 words.

Lavinia

dreamsofnever

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kellyguentner.com
1. Rewrote chapters 1-3
2. Wrote/Revamped/added to a total of 6,000 words.

Lavinia

thanks for the welcome and congratulations on the progress! I rewrote my chapter 2 yesterday, and so that makes two rewritten chapters for last week. still pondering on the rewrites for chapter 1, but I'm getting there.

and working on the background for my website. besides that, it's pretty much done!

Lavinia

Registered
Reaction score
Progress is slower than I imagined. But I am moving along. I am at a place in the book where I need a lot of details and my interviewEE has the flu. I guess I'll have to figure out a way to skip to another chapter and work on it or something.

Keep Writing Everyone! We can do this and then on March 31st we'll have a HUGE cyber-party!

Lavinia

maddythemad

Registered
Reaction score
Hey I'll join! Lavina, dreamsofnever, everyone-- I'm cheering you all on!

Okay. Goals.

- Don't give up on MS even when every agent known to man rejects it (which has yet to happen, but I've already had one rejection and I'm certain one thing will lead to another.)
- Try not to eat so many almonds.

How are you all doing with your goals? So far I've done terribly. Just ate two handfuls of almonds and am inching towards the nut basket as I type...

maddythemad

Registered
Reaction score
Ohhhh. Just realized those were supposed to be writing goals. Sorry! The not-giving-up thing really is a goal, though. That's what I did with my last novel, and I kind of regret it.

Lavinia

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome Maddy! Oh, I think it's ok to add in non-writing goals. It's all related right. I mean, if you set a goal of eating ten almonds a day but then are distracted by the nut dish and get up, say five times during your writing time to get more, then those almonds have interrupted the flow. Those almonds could cost you a that perfect line in the book, the one that the publisher would have said, "Oh my gosh. I love that line. Now I have to buy her book!" But you got up for an almond. Or maybe you are an almond addict. Maybe those almonds are so on your mind that you don't have room for anything else. Dang those almonds. Do we need to do an intervention here? I think so. Without the almonds, you would have a published book right now, in fact several of them. I think the almonds are a serious problem. Is there a twelve-step program for almond addiction? OK...well go find that meeting. The first step is to admit you have a problem. Now that you've admitted it, you can get on with your writing.

Now get back to work!

Lavinia

Lavinia

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Scip- I read your goal on the other thread. I was hoping you'd wander over here. Keep up the good work. You and I must be on the same wave length with the six week goals. Six weeks is a good time frame. It's long enough to really get a lot of work done, but not so long that you want to put it off until *tomorrow*.

Anyway- you are welcome to come by any time!

Lavinia

Lavinia

Registered
Reaction score
Uh-oh! You know it's bad when you were the last person to post and then you're posting again. Either everyone has given up or they're just working waaaaaay harder than I am and don't have time to post.

As for me- I was pretty discouraged a few days ago. But I got back in there and just got to a great place in my book, one that is emotional and personal and powerful. And best of all, easy to write...just rolled off of my little fingertips. But I do find that I am working too hard and my mind is getting blurry. So after I check in here, I'm headed outside to go on a long walk with the dog.

OK so as to my goals;

1) Write 6,000 words a week.

I wrote about 10,000.

2) Finish A Line in the Sand

I am almost half way through!

Woohoo! And now I'm off for a long, energizing walk...How is everyone else doing? Please do share!

Lavinia

dreamsofnever

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kellyguentner.com
Nice job on your goals Lavinia! I haven't given up, but I have been suffering writer's block lately. Getting back into the swing of things though. I revised two chapters on my novel today so far, and I've got more time for the rest of this week and next week I actually have about 10 hours more than usual off, so I'm going to be getting lots done.

As for the comic book, I'm getting back into it tonight, honest!

And the website-I am actually looking for outside help, because I've decided that my time is better spent writing than learning html. I think I have someone to help me, and I have the copy written and a good idea of what I want up there, so I'm getting there.

Good luck to everyone on their goals and Lavinia, thanks for giving us a thread to stay motivated!

Moon Daughter

Registered
Reaction score
Goal: Finish manuscript: Injected
Write 750 words a day
Write a query, leave it, then come back to it every two weeks to edit and/or make word arrangements
Research agencies and publishers in the meantime

That's pretty much it for me. I just would like to make this the best ms that I can so I can send it out and wait for rejections/requests.

How is everyone else coming along in their progress?

Lavinia

Registered
Reaction score
Goals Update:

1. Write 6,000 words a week
I have written a total of 27,000 words

2. Finish *A Line in the Sand*
I am just past the halfway point.

Lavinia

Lavinia

Registered
Reaction score
Now that I am halfway through, with my goal being 50,000 words, I am a little worried that I may not have enough to get to the 50,000 words. I guess time will tell. I mean, I do have enough material but I have just reached the climax of the book and feel like if I go too much further, it will feel like the story is dragging on. It's hard to explain since this is a complicated project. Oh well- all I can do is keep writing and see what happens.

Lavinia

Moon Daughter

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe if you've already reached the climax and you're only halfway through, then maybe you could add something in the beginning. If not, then stretching it out probably isn't a good idea, IMO.

dreamsofnever

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kellyguentner.com
Goal update!

So I know I said I gave up on my website, but then it dawned on me. A very very simple layout that I actually could write html for (with a little bit of help)

It's not the most beautiful, fancy website ever, and I'm still awaiting a graphic for the very top part. And I'll be revising a bit, but I did it! here.

And only a day past my self-imposed deadline. I'm giddy with joy!

As for my revising goals, I'm slacking a bit, but I finally printed out all 250 pages so I can sit down with a pen and scribble all over them. Just looking at all that and realizing that I wrote that whole pile of papers encouraged me.

And Lavinia, I wouldn't drag on the story, but perhaps go back and see if there is any part of the story that can be expanded? I'm still working on expanding mine, and some of it is just a matter of adding descriptions in places where I told instead of showed. I'm also adding a few scenes here and there that were needed.

I've even read about people adding entire subplots to reveal a bit more about a secondary character, which isn't always a bad idea either.

Good luck with your WIP!

Last edited: