• Yo Momma

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Festus

No limits to imagination
Registered
Reaction score
Howdy folks, I'm Festus. I'd like to get a forum started up for Westerns, I'm told the only way to get it done is to get other writers of Westerns to get together.

Well, I need to know who yall are, and if you're interested in this.

Lots of folks seem to think Westerns are dead meat. I don't.

It'd surely be nice to have other Western Writers to communicate with.

I really need some positive comments on this so I'll have backup data at the end of the poll to try and get the western forum started. Just the poll by itself won't do it - assuming we stay in the lead.

Negative comments aren't needed, those folks can just bypass the western forum, though you may well be missing some good reading. There will probably be westerns posted with paranormal, fantasy and SF in them. I've got some of that in one of my manuscripts now.

It may well give us some badly needed exposure to agents and publishers with our own genre. Please give it some thought.

Festus

Last edited:

Cav Guy

Living in the backstory
Registered
Reaction score
For those who may think that this isn't needed because the Western Writers of America exists, let me explain something about that organization. It may have started as an association for fiction writers, but it has now been shifted VERY strongly toward the non-fiction side of things. They don't openly network anymore, and the membership requirements are almost impossible to meet for a starting *fiction* author. It's easier for non-fiction because there is an articles market.

Westerns aren't dead...though they tend to be consumed by other categories (historical fiction springs to mind) and there is no functional short fiction market for them anymore. I for one would like to see something like this come together. The Western is an American art form, and it has formed a major part of our popular culture (and shaped how others see us...for good or ill).

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't write many westerns, but I have written a couple of stories.

I would participate occasionally if the forum was active.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Festus - Comment - to me paranormal, fantasy, and sci-fi immediately throws whatever out of a western classification. There are forums for those and no constraints that material cannot be western. (Remember the movie Westworld with Yul Bryner - definitely a sci-fi, not a western). And, because westerns are basically in historical settings, what's wrong with posting them on the historical forum (which was created not that long ago)? Historical is still not getting that many posts in a day - my suspicion is that westerns would be even fewer. My suggestion is to post westerns that are not sci-fi in historical. If historical starts to get a lot of traffic, then it might be worth while to ask about splitting westerns out. Puma

Festus

No limits to imagination
Registered
Reaction score
Puma: Thank you, My western contained elements of the paranormal - in the form of an Indian ghost. Remember Gene Autry? He had sci Fi in his latter movies - Westerns. Louis L'Amour? Alternate Universe where old cowboy had inadvertingly wound up, also ghosts. So I must disagree.

The main point is this: Westerns, while interest may be waning, are a complete Genre in their own right. For the few remaining writers of this genre to have a chance of publication, we need to capture the eye of potential agents and publishers. Many of whom I feel would skip right over the Historical Forum.

When I think of Historical, my first thought is non-fiction, or medival, or ancient greek/romans etc. Not westerns.

I've written a parody of a western that while humorous, the nuances of the parody would go completely over the heads of those not familiar with the original western author, which if you read westerns, you surely would be.

Historical just doesn't fit the nitch of westerns. We need our own spot.

Cav Guy, Ol' Fashioned Girl, alley cat, Kimmi, You're the types of folks I've been seeking, if you know of others, please direct them here.

I may be the old Don fighting a windmill, but I use six-shooters, not a lance. Read the remarks of my partners below, I think we may surprise a whole bunch of folks with the submissions we get.

Ornery Old Festus

Last edited:

Cav Guy

Living in the backstory
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Festus - Comment - to me paranormal, fantasy, and sci-fi immediately throws whatever out of a western classification. There are forums for those and no constraints that material cannot be western. (Remember the movie Westworld with Yul Bryner - definitely a sci-fi, not a western). And, because westerns are basically in historical settings, what's wrong with posting them on the historical forum (which was created not that long ago)? Historical is still not getting that many posts in a day - my suspicion is that westerns would be even fewer. My suggestion is to post westerns that are not sci-fi in historical. If historical starts to get a lot of traffic, then it might be worth while to ask about splitting westerns out. Puma

I think one reason you don't see many posts in Historical is because Romance isn't included. This is a good example of how genres split and reshape themselves over time. There was a point not too long ago when a Historical was considered a romance almost by default. Not so now. And I've seen works by Terry Johnston (a Western author) shelved in both locations because he's using historical events (more a novel of the West possibly than a traditional Western, but it's still a western).

I think Festus' point is more that traditional Western types aren't going to look for Westerns in a Historicals thread any more than a fantasy writer would look for fantasy in, say, Mystery. Of course, us Western types could just set up a couple of heavy networking threads within Historical and go from there. Of course, we need to be active within those threads. Sitting around waiting for someone else to do it just ain't gonna make it happen.

I write both Westerns and military-historical fiction, and find the general category Historical to be somewhat confining. I agree with Festus that most people think of Historical as something that happens before 1600 or so. Maybe we just need to redefine the category through our discussions and contributions here.

Cav Guy

Living in the backstory
Registered
Reaction score
I've been trying to get this western outta my head and onto my harddrive for months... maybe a forum will get me goin'. ;)

Feel free to post some of your ideas here, OFG. That's how I wrote my first Western, actually. It just came out. I never really read Westerns...I'm more into the history than the fiction. But it just started, and once it did I couldn't stop them. Now they're about all I write in terms of fiction.

Festus

No limits to imagination
Registered
Reaction score
Cav Guy. You've raised some good, valid points.

But I'm just as stubborn as the mule my namesake rides.

I fully mean to have our own Western Forum, and will work my butt off trying to achieve it. I just don't feel that Historical is the place for us to be. like a fish out of the water. Though I do a lot of historical research on my stories.

Western books are only limited by the imagination of the authors, it is indeed an important part of our history, and many cowboys are yet to be known, like the cowboys of Florida at the turn of the century and beyond (which I have many stories about, since my family was numbered among them).

Forgive this stubborn old man, my friends, but I feel passionately about this matter.

Festus

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
It may be a fish of another color, but I don't see how Western can be other than one of the more distinctive subsets of historical--like regency.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
It may be a fish of another color, but I don't see how Western can be other than one of the more distinctive subsets of historical--like regency.
Point taken, but I'm of the opinion that Western is a genre in its own right as well as, technically speaking, and perhaps less significantly, a historical sub-genre. It's not just a period and place, it's a corpus of distinctive, powerful and evocative themes. Just by looking at some of the replies above you can see that Western supports its own sub-genres. I voted yes, and would bookmark such a forum and read as often as time permits.

-Derek

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Okay. I'm here. I'm listening. I'm willing to be convinced.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I think there are many subgenres who have made their own place in the world--but also lost it. About 10% of the books I own are westerns--at one time it was more like a half. I read True Grit and at an impressionable age and rode the peak of the genre with Zane and Louis and loved the lesser known yellow-backers like Oliver Strange. I particularly love the few cross genre paranormal westerns like --damn it now I can find one--you must know it, a series from the 70s about a gun slnger whose girl was stolen by a warlock and imprisoned in a magical glass coffin? Western mainstream romance in general doesn't do much for me but it is helping keep the genre from flatlining.

I guess if there was a western forum I would give it a look--especially if it was one where my gay erotic romance western "counted" (if you know what I mean). But would I lay odds on such a forum being viable in the long term... not really. I think the genre's hibernation is going to last a little longer. But why not give it a go and see? You may have only gotten 5 bites here but there are other places to recruit and in 'fan' genres the word gets around.

Last edited:

MacAllister

Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
The problem is, of course, that this is already a very large board--and daunting to navigate, for newcomers. Whether or not an entire room in justified for what's arguably limited interest in a perhaps fading genre...

Festus

No limits to imagination
Registered
Reaction score
Aw, c'mon Mac. "It's such a large board" If all the main topics can't be read in seconds, person shouldn't be a writer. Put us at the very bottom of it, if poor darlings are worn out from reading whats above us, they can stop before they reach us.

I remember back in the 60's, when I read Sci Fi and Fantasy, they were often mixed in with childrens books on stuck away in a hard to find corner.

On this site, they are in the prominence, which I support. Back then? No way.

Westerns are not dead, for they are going on right now, this day. I suspect there all more people out there that long for good writing in this genre that even I can imagine.

Its arguable that any genre may be swallowed by another, but I don't feel that it's Westerns turn quite yet.

Negativism seems to have taken hold of many things, we want to accomplish something positive, that is what this proposed Western Forum is all about.

Are we a threat to the other genres? Not hardly. Are you afraid that a bunch of red necks might swell the ranks of AW? Get real.

I've noted that there is a bunch of people whose views I don't support, or whose genre I don't particularly like. Doesn't mean I'm going to campaign against them, and if I don't like the genre, I stay away from it.

Meeting some of those folks in AW Chat has expanded my views on many things, others it hadn't affected at all. Thing is, there is room enough for all of us to get along.

Give us a chance.

Festus

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure what Mac meant by her last post.

If there were a westerns forum, it would be one I'd look at. But, I remember all the arguments and time it took to get a historical forum. My original historical posts are in Other. Matter of fact, most of my posts of pieces of my work are in Other because I don't fit the genre definitions. But, I'm not complaining.

BTW, Festus, in my mind Indian ghosts or spirits in westerns are not paranormal - that's the way the cowboy movies were back when I was a kid. Puma

MacAllister

Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
;)
I meant just what I said: Look down.

It's really important to me to try and be responsive to what the members want. So we'll give it a try. There are plenty of things I'll have to say no to--the forum to discuss favorite TV shows, for instance.

But I'll confess having a soft spot for westerns, my own self. So this was an easy one.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
Feel free to post some of your ideas here, OFG. That's how I wrote my first Western, actually. It just came out. I never really read Westerns...I'm more into the history than the fiction. But it just started, and once it did I couldn't stop them. Now they're about all I write in terms of fiction.

Happy to, Cav... let's move it to the new Western Thread! :)

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
I voted 'yes' cause every writer deserves a little piece of the back forty to mosey on.

Uh...just clean up after the cows, please.

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
I heard somewhere that Westerns are on the rise again. I myself read a few in my youth, and I'm enjoying critting a Western Romance that a colleague is working on.

I just might write one!