Skeletons

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
Why is she burying the body? Compassion? Guilt?

If the authorities found out, she could be charged with desecrating a corpse or tampering with a possible crime scene. Charges likely wouldn't stick, unless she destroyed some critical evidence in the process.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Improper Disposition of a Corpse is a crime - misdemeanor, I believe. But the definition of "corpse" vs "skeleton" might be a factor.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Some states have "abuse of corpse" statutes and others have "improper disposal" statutes, but in most cases they would be misdemeanors and she would be a juvenile, so the ultimate result (if they did actually prosecute) would most likely be a probation. Can you give me an actual state this would occur in? I could give you a more definitive answer.

Tallymark

Registered
Reaction score
At fifteen I would think a person would know that this is a crime, and just overall isn't the right thing to do...when you discover human remains, you have to notify the authorities. One, it is possibly a crime scene, and she is tampering with the evidence (in fact, disposing of it), and two, even if it isn't a crime scene, it is not her right or responsibility to be the one doing the burying--she may feel it is the respectful thing to do, but that person may have had a family somewhere who still doesn't know what happened to them. The family of the deceased person would want to have the body identified and be able to hold their own burial, according to their own traditions.

If someone dies with you while out in the wildnerness, and you can't take the body with you, I think that's a different situation--you can't leave the body out in the open where it will be eaten by animals. But that's not an issue anymore with the skeleton.

Paint

Warrior of Truth
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Standing at the precipitous cliff, believing I can
Website
www.shawnk.com
Thank you!
Info:
She doesn't want to call the police because of her own (unrelated) past. She buried it out of respect and to be honest she wanted to pick though the car and it creeped her out. She 'borrowed' its diamond ring and artist's portfolio, she intends to find the family at some point. She did dismantle the skeleton to put it in a cairn, allthough the skull was decapitated when the car fell from the mountainside.
It is Colorado high country, up from the tundra; there is a road there and a car could fall from a very high place and not be discovered for years.

Sidebar: There really is a place on Mt. Lemmon(sp?) in Tucson, AZ where the cars fall and are left there, you can drive by and see them all. Ultra Creepy!!

Vanatru

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Well, if she doesn't tell anyone she buried the body, no problem. She could even explain to the family that she found the things in the car....but no body.

Unless she told someone else, or their were witnesses, she's good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.