PDA

View Full Version : a question about a service for songwriters...

tarra74
02-13-2007, 08:03 PM
I got an email last night from a company online who claims to help songwriters get their work out there to major record labels and get your work out there. It seemed good to me until I found the following statement on their website:

If this fee detours you then please keep this in mindů IF YOU ARE UNWILLING TO INVEST $99 PER YEAR IN YOUR CAREER, THAN YOU CAN REST ASSURED THAT NOT A SINGLE RECORD COMPANY IN THE WORLD WILL BE WILLING TO INVEST HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OR MILLIONS OF DOLLARS PER YEAR IN YOU EITHER. I am an author and I have just started writing songs, so I have always worked on the the philosophy money flows towards the writer and not away. I have a couple of songs out there now and I am working on getting more out there, but is it just me or does this company scream of fraud?

alleycat
02-13-2007, 08:23 PM
It screams in big, bold letters.

I assume you're talking about ProfessionalEars.

Martin Hall-Kenny
02-13-2007, 09:49 PM
Its the same as in general publishing. If the stuff is good then they'll want it anyway.

benbradley
02-13-2007, 10:39 PM
If you're not intimately familiar with the music business (and even if you are), it's safe to assume that anyone who wants you to pay them is a fraud. I've heard of a lot of scams out there, just reading the newsgroup rec.music.makers.songwriting. The one I most heard of is paying to have music composed and recorded from your lyrics (I heard lot more "average people" write lyrics than write melodies/music, so most scams are aimed at them). I haven't tried to "shop" any of my songs around - I consider myself a rank amateur anyway.