PDA

View Full Version : Doh!

Stacia Kane
02-13-2007, 06:32 PM
Sent out a requested sub. Went over it with a fine-toothed comb another time first, bringing count up to too-many-to-count. Did the same for synopsis. Spent entire morning doing that.

Composed careful "Here's the material you requested" email. Ran spellcheck twice. Took sentence out. Re-added sentence. Re-read several times. Ran spellcheck again. Re-checked agent's original email to make sure I did everything exactly as she wanted.

Hit "send."

Realized I misspelled my own first name.

MajorDrums
02-13-2007, 06:34 PM
I hope this rep point I'm about to send you helps you feel better. Doh, indeed!

Mae
02-13-2007, 06:39 PM
OUCH!

I actually have done that myself TWICE. My last name has an E at the end that I drop at the stupidest time.

Calla Lily
02-13-2007, 06:50 PM
Ouch!

Have a pre-Valentine's chocolate. It's bound to help.

Chumplet
02-13-2007, 07:04 PM
AAAARGH! Maybe they'll think you just have a more exotic name than you already have.

MidnightMuse
02-13-2007, 07:12 PM
Now's the time you legally change the spelling of your first name to match the misspell, so you can say you MEANT to do that :)

davids
02-13-2007, 07:56 PM
No problemo-if they like it you can spell your first name with an X-it just wont matter a tits ass-good luck-oh-really-they do not care-they want it to be good-they need it to be good-it must be good.

Stacia Kane
02-13-2007, 07:57 PM
Additional step: Read here, laugh and feel better.

I'm hoping maybe she won't notice(?)...fingers crossed...groan.

Stacia Kane
02-14-2007, 01:20 PM
Well I got a very nice email this morning acknowledging receipt and saying she'll get back to me asap. Nowhere in the email did she say, "How stupid are you, you messed up spelling your own name, a word I assume you've been writing for quite a few years?"

So I guess I squeaked by! :-)

Sean D. Schaffer
02-14-2007, 06:57 PM
Sent out a requested sub. Went over it with a fine-toothed comb another time first, bringing count up to too-many-to-count. Did the same for synopsis. Spent entire morning doing that.

Composed careful "Here's the material you requested" email. Ran spellcheck twice. Took sentence out. Re-added sentence. Re-read several times. Ran spellcheck again. Re-checked agent's original email to make sure I did everything exactly as she wanted.

Hit "send."

To re-iterate what others have said...

OUCH!

Don't feel too bad about misspelling your first name, though. I'm sure it's a common mistake, especially when you're trying to send out something that is in perfect form.

I'm also sure they'll understand and probably will not reject your work based solely upon that.

And like one poster pointed out, a Valentine's Day chocolate might be a good idea for you.

As well the rep point...

:)

kristie911
02-14-2007, 07:55 PM
We're all entitled to a Doh! moment every once in a while...however that doesn't make it feel any better. Hey, just think of it this way...it's better than misspelling the agents name! Right?

:)

Soccer Mom
02-14-2007, 08:03 PM
Doh! It happens, but still....when it DOES happen it feels Doh!

At least you know it was received. As long as the agent likes it, I don't think she'll care if you can spell your own name.

Kudra
02-15-2007, 12:08 AM
Wow. Get chocolate. No, really. Get more chocolate.

JimmyB27
02-15-2007, 12:17 AM

Hit "send."

Did I just see you on Miss Snark's blog?

http://misssnark.blogspot.com/2007/02/casting-spells.html

Silver King
02-15-2007, 03:58 AM
When they buy your story, just make sure they spell your name right on the check. ;)

KCH
02-15-2007, 08:19 AM
Dear Decmber, Dulcimer, Dismember, December,

Many people change the spelling of their names in different stages of their lives. You can just explain that you do it weekly.

If it makes you feel better, I had my own doh day today. Proofed and proofed and sent off a killer query that referenced by previously published boos.

johnzakour
02-15-2007, 08:38 AM
People need to see their names spelled right but don't really care how you spell yours. I don't believe a novel has ever been sold based on a person's ability to spell their own name.

Jhon Zkauor

Pagey's_Girl
02-15-2007, 08:07 PM
I do things like that quite frequently. I'm the queen of accidentally swapping letters around.

And if it wasn't for the spellcheck feature in Firefox, I would seem to be quite, well, illiterate. :)