Uh-Oh...should have gotten that flu shot.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I went for my usual run today...well, a lot of it was walk because I was a little sore from yesterday. I felt fine when I left but when I got home, I was shivering and couldn't seem to get warm. And I was exhausted. I didn't work that hard, I should have been fine. It took me nearly an hour to work up the energy to take a shower.

I turned the water on as hot as I could stand but I still had goosebumps. And my body hurt so bad it felt like someone had been hitting me with a baseball bat. It hurt to walk, it hurt to sit down. I just figured I overdid it.

Went to my parents house (next door) with my son for dinner. I was shaking so hard I couldn't stand it. Finally my mom made me take my temp. Uh-oh...102. Not a good sign.

Took some Tylenol and came home (left my son at their house), finally the fever came down and I felt better. Well, 5 hours after I took the Tylenol, my fever spiked, body aches are back and I would just like to die. I have a headache so bad I can barely see straight.

Checked WebMD...congratulations dumbass...you have the flu! It was like reading a checklist of my symptoms.

Guess next year I'll get that flu shot.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Strange, I've never had the flu. No one in my family ever has, either.

If I could, I'd market our genes. :)

Deadbeat 007

Matriarch of Mediocrity
Registered
Reaction score
I have it too right now, though it doesn't sound as severe as yours. It's that season. Feel better soon. :)

Foinah

Smoking Monkey Smart Arse
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.foinahjameson.com
I have succumbed. My household was wracked with it and then, of course, I GOT IT!!! Ours is the icky stomach kind...

Get better soon!
Lots of fluids, warm tea, toast, and blankets.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Tamaflu!
Quick! Run!
Call 911 for a pickup.

There's a limited window for effectiveness. It works! Hurry!

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Should you have gotten it----?
YEs- Yes -Yes.....
Kristie, this is one year that you do not want to miss it--- lil' thing that's called 'bird flu' that natl' security is worried about--- If you need to go to the ER because of flu-related sickness, they'll be able to diagnose you quicker, by ruling out flu(ie if you've had the flu shot).

Listen up guys, We've been quietly preparing for this---hubby has rcvd intensive training as well as all 1st responders---it's coming, may not be bird flu, heck could even come over from a sleeper cell, terriost form---we are due a panademic.
Get your flu shots-not too late.
ETA: a tip- if you run out of water-your water heaters a great resource ;)

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, Kristie, I had a flu shot this year. I haven't gotten the flu.

But others in my house have had various illnesses. Just have to stay away from them as much as possible. Right now my son is sick.

There was a piece in the newspaper warning people who went to a certain woman's funeral a few weeks ago that a very catchy virus is going around. Everyone who was there hugging people needs to be aware that they might get sick now.

It almost makes you feel like wearing plastic gloves and a surgical mask out in public.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Listen up guys, We've been quietly preparing for this---hubby has rcvd intensive training as well as all 1st responders---it's coming, may not be bird flu, heck could even come over from a sleeper cell, terriost form---we are due a panademic.

Very very true, kimmi. We have done 2 large scale training exercises in the past year in an attempt to prepare for the inevitable pandemic. We have plans in place for mass scale flu clinics and the last training involved 300 local residents that helped us out by pretending to be bird flu victims. For their help they recieved regular flu shots from the health department. They offered the shots to all 1st responders involved for $10...but I didn't get mine. Now I wish I would have. I'm miserable.

Mae

this is me - is that you?
Registered
Reaction score
darn - should have added this to my tag!

I am afraid of shots and how they will affect me. I would rather have the flu.

Now that IS sick. sigh.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Very very true, kimmi. We have done 2 large scale training exercises in the past year in an attempt to prepare for the inevitable pandemic. We have plans in place for mass scale flu clinics and the last training involved 300 local residents that helped us out by pretending to be bird flu victims. For their help they recieved regular flu shots from the health department. They offered the shots to all 1st responders involved for $10...but I didn't get mine. Now I wish I would have. I'm miserable.
Kris--you know better, now go get your flu shot, sweetie :Hug2:
ETA: not too late--really!

Freckles

Oooh, the Rainbow Connection
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't get a flu shot this year either. Am not sick yet...although now, I probably just went and jinxed myself!

Get well soon, Kristie!!! :D Make sure to rest & drink lots and lots of fluid!

Serenity

NCIS...
Registered
Reaction score
...cause sometimes you just need a slap on the hea
darn - should have added this to my tag!

I am afraid of shots and how they will affect me. I would rather have the flu.

Now that IS sick. sigh.

Don't be afraid of this shot. It stings a little, and your arm might be sore for a few hours, but the flu is not worth it. Unless you are allergic to egg, you should have no reaction to the shot at all. And, contrary to popular myth, you cannot get the flu from the flu shot. I talked to the nurse giving me the shot about this because one of my staff had that fear. The virus used in making the shot is a killed or inactivated virus.

Check out the CDC.

The flu shot: The viruses in the flu shot are killed (inactivated), so you cannot get the flu from a flu shot.

Get the shot, it's worth it. :) And Kristie, I truly hope you feel better! The flu sucks.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I went 4 whole hours without a fever so I finally got some sleep but it's creeping back up. I'm going to wait awhile to take more Tylenol though, I know the fever has a purpose and I can tolerate it up to 101 or so but this morning it was 102.5...I'm not that tough! :)

Thanks for all the get well wishes!

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
The first time I got a flu shot I felt a little icky and achy for about five or six hours, but only that one time. Now the most I get is a sore arm for a couple of days - don't get the shot on the side you sleep on. :)

But if you don't get that little reaction (the sore arm) it means no immunity, from what I understand, so sore is good.

Flu sucks - hope you feel better very soon!

Last edited:

Kevin Yarbrough

Will write for peace of mind
Registered
Reaction score
You don't really get the flu from the shot but you can get some symptoms. Your body reacts to the inactive virus and can cause a temp and some body aches. Not the flu but can still be bad enough. I know whenever I get the shot I get a temp and some body aches and a that is bad enough cause whenever I get a temp on comes the fever blisters. God, remind me to thank mom for those with a smack upside the head.

Public service announcement: If you have fever blisters/cold sores DO NOT KISS ANYONE. They are contagious. Also, don't do any...other things below the border, it can spread down there.

Back to your regularly scheduled program.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
My body, without fail, will take one hard look at any sort of rapidly approaching deadline....and then get as sick as it can possibly get on short notice.

*grumble*

I hope you feel better, and please don't die from the flu. They've been going on and on about that on the news. :)

Luke flees the scene

philosopher.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I had the flu once when I was little. I got sick all the time when I was little. I remember getting streph (sp?) throat when I was only three, and I didnt tell anyone so eventually, blood starting leaking into my liver or something and it got really really bad. Eventually they found out when my mom accidentally walked in on me while I was going to the bathroom, and my piss was red. lol I know. It was pretty nastly.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
So it's not just me, then, PeeDee?

Nope. I need a deadline shot. Keeps you healthy for three extra days, and then you can crash.

It might be called "speed" but I'm not about to find out... :)

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I hope you feel better, and please don't die from the flu. They've been going on and on about that on the news. :)

Thanks for the good wishes, Pete. I appreciate it. As you can see, I didn't die of the flu and am feeling good once again.

However, during my sickness I managed to sicken several people: my ex-husband (haha), my mom, and my work partner, who then went to Chicago and gave it to his sister, his neice and his best friend and also gave it to his wife before he left.

And since my ex's boss made him go to the Dr today, we discovered it wasn't actually the flu but some nasty random virus. Whatever...48 hours ago I was wishing I was dead.