A little help from my friends

rtilryarms

Help me find good contemporary songs that can be played with guitar. My repertoire is as old as the sun is hot.

I am finishing up with:

Bright Lights – Matchbox 20
Time of Your Life – Green Day
This Love - Maroon 5
Perfect – Simple Plan

I know there are others but I don’t like some of the urban contemp out there these days. Can you give me a couple of suggestions for songs in the top 40 less than about 3 years old?

I’ll find a way to repay you.

Mike

kippin

Re: thanks bio

Add anything by Dashboard Confessional. Sounds great acoustic. Gee, I wonder why?
Kip

pixie juice

Re: thanks

You might try some stuff by the Goo Goo Dolls. A lot of their stuff is really fun to play. It's usually below my register, but it would sound great on a male voice. They've got a few dozen great songs, and they all sound good acoustic.

dannyne330

Re: thanks

Classical Gas. Great acoustic guitar instrumental.

Cheers.

cluelessspicycinnamon

Michelle Branch writes her songs with her guitar in mind. Dont' know where you can find music for it, though.

Optimus

Banned
Reaction score
I hate to bring up a guy I'm sure many people may hate, but learn something by John Mayer.

Why?

Well, because he's an incredible guitarist (actually a blues guitarist by training, but his music started out more acoustic rock and has now devolved into pop crap) and some of his songs will introduce you to chord configurations you probably never new existed. Much like learning Dave Matthews songs, learning Mayer's songs will make you a better player.

Also, many of his songs are just fun to play. "No Such Thing" may get on many people's nerves, but the chord phrasings are cool and it's fun to play. As is his song "Love Soon" and the acoustic version of "Love Song for No One." He also plays a few songs in a weird open tuning (E,G,E,F#,B,E), like "Something's Missing," and "In Your Atmosphere," but they're fun to play once you get the tuning down.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/g403z/

Another guy to check out is Howie Day. He's a bit under the radar, still, but his acoustic shows are nothing short of inspired and moving.

Learn to play "Ghost" and "She Says." They're both fun, pretty songs with some interesting chord phrasings as well.

And, if you can get your hands on a Line-6 DL4, then you can loop and sample as he does with his acoustic in his shows. It's really cool what he does. But his songs can be played just as easily straight up on the guitar.

http://www.hdaee.org/

Vipersniper

Registered
Reaction score
Do You Want Songs?

:Shrug: Do you want songs to be played by guitar. I have written some songs that would be good for the guitar. I only know the words but I cannot write a treble from a clef note. I only know what plays in my mind. I have one called. Don't Make Being A Cowboy a four letter word.