PDA

View Full Version : Where are you? UK Writers

truelyana
02-12-2007, 11:34 PM
Out of curiosity, are there any writers, from the UK around?

scarletpeaches
02-12-2007, 11:35 PM
Yup. I'm in Dundee.

truelyana
02-12-2007, 11:38 PM
Yup. I'm in Dundee.

Wohoooooo :hooray:

Just wanted to know, as i have been reading Jenna's book and i feel the websites may be inclined to the US based audience more than, the British.

Than, i wondered if there were any UK writers around on here that may know more about, the UK writing market than me. I don't know anything :hi:

scarletpeaches
02-12-2007, 11:39 PM
I know even less. :D

truelyana
02-12-2007, 11:43 PM
I know even less. :D

How exciting ;)

I have just found an interesting Writers General Market website which, may come in handy.

Well, it is lovely to meet you all the same fellow UK citizen

waylander
02-13-2007, 12:07 AM

I'm around

scarletpeaches
02-13-2007, 12:14 AM
I just buy my own copy of W&A Yearbook. Saves having to share it with all those pesky members of the public at the library.

truelyana
02-13-2007, 12:31 AM
I'm around

Wohooo, lovely to see you :hi:

*Waves* Yorkshire woman here. I imagine there are hundreds of us Brits lurking around. We just get drowned out. :rolleyes:

If you want to know about the UK industry, get the Writers' and Artists' Yearbook. I've only read bits at the library (I can only afford to park for two hours at a time. :() but it made things clearer for me.

As far as I can tell, the major difference between the US and UK is that we're not so big on the query letter here. Most publishers and agents seem to want 2-3 chapters and a short synopsis. Makes me want to move across the pond just to avoid that darn synopsis ...

:hi: I will definetly check that out, thanks. I have been reading Jenna's book and, have got the hunch that the UK may not be exactly, like the US. I can imagine, there's alot more to it than meets the eye. I do like the query for practicality. I suppose here they probably just, want to see more evidence of what you can do right on the spot before, the go ahead.(seems like the UK in general is continously adding on ways, to bring in more process work ie:Schools. Everything is far too processed these days, nothing is actually practically done on the spot)

waylander
02-13-2007, 12:35 AM
Most UK agents want to see 3 chs and synopsis, but most of them you can phone and ask if they are taking on new clients (big difference to US agents who you definitely do not phone).
There are more publishers who will look at unagented submissions. You also want to check out the writers conferences where you can meet and talk to the editors and agents in your genre.

truelyana
02-13-2007, 12:41 AM
Most UK agents want to see 3 chs and synopsis, but most of them you can phone and ask if they are taking on new clients (big difference to US agents who you definitely do not phone).
There are more publishers who will look at unagented submissions. You also want to check out the writers conferences where you can meet and talk to the editors and agents in your genre.

These tips are very informative, thank you. Say, for instance's you just want to write a 500 article for a magazine as a freelance writer, will they still need to see the majority of the article beforehand, or will it just be on the same lines as a query? Or completetly different altogether?

waylander
02-13-2007, 01:05 AM
Now I have to confess I know nothing about selling articles. I do fiction and a few book reviews. My guess is that if you have no track record with the magazine (or similar mags) then you should send the whole article.

Rosie_81
02-13-2007, 01:19 AM

I'm from the UK too, Scotland to be exact.

truelyana
02-13-2007, 01:26 AM
Now I have to confess I know nothing about selling articles. I do fiction and a few book reviews. My guess is that if you have no track record with the magazine (or similar mags) then you should send the whole article.

Interesting. Thanks again. At the moment, I'm just doing a variety of reading so all in all, I'm not serious about anything for now.

I'm from the UK too, Scotland to be exact.

Welcome Rosie :D Lovely to see you :hi:

Stacia Kane
02-13-2007, 01:43 AM
I'm in England, but I am an American. Bloomsbury's website has a wonderful list of UK agents. http://www.bloomsbury.com/WritersArea/AgentsUK.asp?Page=3

truelyana
02-13-2007, 01:48 AM
Thank you for that :)

Much appreciated

arrowqueen
02-13-2007, 01:48 AM
Another Scot. I'm down in Stranraer.

scarletpeaches
02-13-2007, 01:49 AM
I wonder if the Americans present would know how to pronounce that?

Or Glamis...or Scone...;)

truelyana
02-13-2007, 01:50 AM

Welcome :hi:

truelyana
02-13-2007, 02:01 AM

I'm not sure i know how to pronounce it neither. I was originally born in Portugal, and have been living here for quite some time now (16 years) but, i am still a bit hazy and have difficulties at pronouncing some words. Especially when it comes to having the letters 'y' in the word. Or even, pedestrian crossing, i pronounce it such as 'pedaz - stray - knee - anne' lol :D

scarletpeaches
02-13-2007, 02:02 AM
Stranraer = Stran-rarr
Glamis - Glams
Scone - Skoon

scarletpeaches
02-13-2007, 02:03 AM
Oh, and Kirkcudbright is pronounced Kir-coobry. No, really.

truelyana
02-13-2007, 02:04 AM
Ooooh, sounds like a new language altogether heehee :D

waylander
02-13-2007, 02:08 AM
Here's another listing of UK agents
http://www.writersservices.com/agent/uk/agent_uk.htm

VickyH
02-13-2007, 02:18 AM
I'm an exiled Liverpudlian, who wore tartan for nigh on twenty years, and who was recently kidnapped by a Yorkshire man! I now reside in Sheffield!

truelyana
02-13-2007, 02:45 AM
Welcome on board Vicky, lovely to have you here. :D

Annie O
02-13-2007, 02:52 AM
:hi: I'm living in Devon but I did live in the States for 7 years, so I guess I sit on both sides of the fence.

Annie O

truelyana
02-13-2007, 02:56 AM
:hi: I'm living in Devon but I did live in the States for 7 years, so I guess I sit on both sides of the fence.

Annie O

Hey Annie :hi:

I have never been to the States myself. I have just sat around the outskirts of Europe, as far as the Netherlands, and as low as Portugal

Penguin Queen
02-13-2007, 03:10 AM
I'm German, but I'll have been living in London for 10 years come December. Goodness.
And it was only meant to be one year. How time flies and all that.

:hi:

You also want to check out the writers conferences where you can meet and talk to the editors and agents in your genre.

Now those sound very interesting. Kinda like the Frankfurt Book Fair, only smaller?

Oh, and Kirkcudbright is pronounced Kir-coobry. No, really.

I'll not mention Machynlleth then, or any other Welsh place names. ;)

Elodie-Caroline
02-13-2007, 03:16 AM
I live in boring Buckinghamshire; thankfully there's plenty of roads out of it! lol :D

waylander
02-13-2007, 03:20 AM
[quote=Penguin Queen;1120659]

Now those sound very interesting. Kinda like the Frankfurt Book Fair, only smaller? [quote]

Frankfurt is really for the publishing trade; publishers meeting agents, trying to sell translation rigths and stuff. Not much for writers at all.
I was thinking more of Conferences like Winchester
http://www.writersconference.co.uk/
for general fiction, crime, writing for radio/TV or FantasyCon for genre writers

Gabriel
02-13-2007, 05:06 AM
I'm in Edmonton, London. Good old goth boy in Chavtastic shank town, oh delightful place it is. Can anyone tell I can't wait to move to durham?

seun
02-13-2007, 01:12 PM
Another Brit here. I'm in sunny East Anglia where the men are men and say things like "Ar, buh" and "Job's a good un". I've been trying to work out what they mean for the last 30 years.

There's a little road in my town called Glamis Gardens. Being a smug git, I know how to pronounce it and have been waiting for someone to mispronounce it just so I can correct them and feel superior. :D

ALLWritety
02-13-2007, 01:35 PM
Hi
I'm a Brit. I am from Sheffield - A Yorkshire man.
I now live in Taiwan!
Thanks for this thread and the info on it.
See ya around
Kev

truelyana
02-13-2007, 01:45 PM
Welcome guys. It's really nice to receive a vastness of UK, born bred or living individuals on here. I believe it does help :)

endless rewrite
02-13-2007, 01:48 PM
North East here via Yorkshire, somehow I keep moving further 'up north', though I've stayed put here for the longest time. There is a fantastic, well supported and supportive writing community here which makes all the difference.

FergieC
02-13-2007, 03:03 PM
Another Scot here - sunny Aberdeen, to be precise :hi:

williemeikle
02-13-2007, 03:10 PM
Yep.... I'm in Kinross, work in Edinburgh with a view of the castle...

Willie

Gozzy
02-13-2007, 04:04 PM
Hello all.

Another Brit. Devon born and bred but in Tokyo for the last 8 years.

Andrew Croft's Freelance Writer's Handbook is a decent British book that sounds similar to Jenna's (which I haven't read).

Up Argyle!

Rob

dippykitty
02-13-2007, 08:07 PM
Yet another Brit here. I'm in the Midlands.

euphrosene
02-13-2007, 10:06 PM
Another Brit here. English-born and West Sussex based.

Have you all been tagged yet? If not, I'll cheat and add your names to my post =*)

Old Hack
02-14-2007, 12:22 AM
I'm from London originally but now live in Sheffield which has only today lost its snow. I can't imagine why anyone would move away...!

Don't tag me, I don't post often enough to know ten people and I can't think of ten things to say about myself which wouldn't bore everyone witless. But hello, and welcome to newcomers.

truelyana
02-14-2007, 12:27 AM
:welcome: everybody. Hope your enjoying your stay here. It's a great place
Hello all.

Another Brit. Devon born and bred but in Tokyo for the last 8 years.

Andrew Croft's Freelance Writer's Handbook is a decent British book that sounds similar to Jenna's (which I haven't read).

Up Argyle!

Rob

I have just read some reviews of that book on Amazon.co.uk and it seems like its quite useful. I'm purchasing that book now, and also Writers and Artists yearbook 2007. Not too sure about, the Writers and Artists one as, the reviews i've read don't seem to have that informative hunch about it. By the way, i have already been tagged

FergieC
02-14-2007, 06:01 PM
Have you all been tagged yet?

I'm not quite sure what being tagged means. Am I being thick? Is it something to do with MySpace?

jvc
02-14-2007, 06:46 PM
Hi, there, I live in the Midlands.

Used to get the ferry from Larne, into Stranraer every few months.

Scone - Skoon

Now that depends on how posh you are really. As the joke says, whats the fastest cake in the world - Scone.
(As in It's gone, said really really fast - S'gone.

I live in boring Buckinghamshire; thankfully there's plenty of roads out of it! lol :D

Ooooh, I live next to that in Northants.

Yet another Brit here. I'm in the Midlands.

Me too. Where abouts?

I'm not quite sure what being tagged means. Am I being thick? Is it something to do with MySpace?

This I believe is in reference to a thread down in the Office Party about telling people 10 things about yourself. I got tagged a few times. I'll pop off and find the direct link for you.

You know, we should have a UK - AW get together. It could be fun.

jvc
02-14-2007, 06:48 PM

The link to the thread is :- http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54700

FergieC, consider youself officially tagged.

Robyn
02-14-2007, 06:55 PM
I'm an American who's heart is in the UK. Now if just the rest of me would follow. Would rather live there than here LOL

ok.. ok.. i know that didn't help out at all.

FergieC
02-14-2007, 07:57 PM
Cheers jvc - I've done the tagging thing now.

jvc
02-14-2007, 08:10 PM
Cheers jvc - I've done the tagging thing now.

I bet you feel a lot better now. Be careful though, if you get more tags, you'll just have to find more facts to write.

truelyana
02-14-2007, 10:11 PM
I just wanted to ask, if the Writers' and Artists' Yearbook 2007(UK) is really worth buying, for those who already have it?

Dollywagon
02-14-2007, 10:47 PM
Another Brit, originally from Sheffield (funnily enough) and now residing in Orkney :hooray: (yes, I do love it here!)

euphrosene
02-15-2007, 01:26 PM
The link to the thread is :- http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54700

FergieC, consider youself officially tagged.

Thanks Jed. Saves me trying to find it again!

JimmyB27
02-15-2007, 01:59 PM

Me too, I'm somewhere between Aylesbury and Milton Keynes.

Bmwhtly
02-15-2007, 02:00 PM
Morning kids!
I'm in the northern, cold bit of Scotland.

JimmyB27
02-15-2007, 02:11 PM
I just wanted to ask, if the Writers' and Artists' Yearbook 2007(UK) is really worth buying, for those who already have it?

I had that last year, went for the other one this year - The Writer's Handbook 2007 - http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/displayProductDetails.do?sku=5190670

The latter is, as it's title suggests, aimed solely at writers. The former includes stuff for cartoonists, photographers and so on as well.
Both are handy if you are looking to submit anything, but otherwise it's probably not worth it. There are a few articles, but I don't think they justify the cost alone.

ShapeSphere
02-16-2007, 11:10 AM
I'm from England, but now live in Japan.

This forum is excellent because it is so international. If there are questions regard American (or other) markets, items, phrases, etc., people will help.

Likewise if people have questions about our warm beer, fog, crap trains and appalling service - we can help too.

aruna
02-16-2007, 11:48 AM
I had that last year, went for the other one this year - The Writer's Handbook 2007 - http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/displayProductDetails.do?sku=5190670

The latter is, as it's title suggests, aimed solely at writers. The former includes stuff for cartoonists, photographers and so on as well.
Both are handy if you are looking to submit anything, but otherwise it's probably not worth it. There are a few articles, but I don't think they justify the cost alone.

I've bought the Writers' Handbook a few times, never the other one. It is certainly handy, but you don't need it every year. Yes, the data changes, but the main entirews are pretty consistant.

aruna
02-16-2007, 11:59 AM
I've lived in the UK for 6 years but now I am mostly in Germany, Right now I'm in Eastbourne - but oly for a week. My kids live here.#

Hey, did any of you UK;ers see yesterday's Breakfast SHow on BBC? There was an item about a book that is a number one bestseller in Eastbourne - it;s called "A Woman's Place" and it's about an Eastbourne man whose wife does all the housework. The Eastbourne bookseller (probably Waterstone's which recenetly devoured Ottakar's) said that it could easily be a nationwide bestseller. I can't find reference to it anywhhere online. I have a suspicion that it's a self-published book. Don't know why I suspect that. I'll check it out today in town.
With so many new boks released each month I wonder why the BBC chose THAT particular one to prmote? Weird.

dpaterso
02-16-2007, 02:06 PM
Ach wud ye look at this, ah just noticed this thread, ah'm fae Greenock in Scotland, a stone's throw fae Glesca, wi' nice views across the watter lookin' at Bute and Argyll. Starsign: Virgo, organized, creative, artistic (yeah right). Staple diet: sausage suppers, when the wummin o' the hoose lets me. Genres: Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Adventure, Crime, occasional Horror (many who have visited my website have reported being horrified.)

-Derek

williemeikle
02-16-2007, 02:32 PM
Ach wud ye look at this, ah just noticed this thread, ah'm fae Greenock in Scotland, a stone's throw fae Glesca, wi' nice views across the watter lookin' at Bute and Argyll. Starsign: Virgo, organized, creative, artistic (yeah right). Staple diet: sausage suppers, when the wummin o' the hoose lets me. Genres: Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Adventure, Crime, occasional Horror (many who have visited my website have reported being horrified.)

-Derek

Derek

Meant to ask you... have you read Joe Donnelly's "The Shrike"?

The best ... well, only :) horror novel set in Greenock

I'm fae Kilbirnie originally... nearly neighbours on the global scheme of things :)

Willie

dpaterso
02-16-2007, 03:04 PM
Crikey that's going back a bit... methinks it's somewhere in the dark uncharted recesses of our back bedroom, aka the rubbish tip, along with the rest of my book collection (PLEASE DON'T MAKE ME GO IN THERE!).

The old brain's not what it once was, I had to Google "The Shrike" to remind myself... and while I was on Amazon looking I bought a used hardcover copy for 1.49 with one click! Do me good to read it again.

I've often passed through Kilburnie (I thought it was spelt with a "u" as in KilbUUURRRRny :)), lovely place, but I always kept the windows rolled up, the sinister beat of native war drums scared the bejabbers out of me.

-Derek

Gabion
02-17-2007, 01:59 AM
Over to the east in sunny Basildon... I lost my agent last year. I had a wonderful agent but she retired and the bloke who took over from her hived me off - without even a recommendation to another agent - so I shall have to spend time writing around for a new one...

truelyana
02-17-2007, 04:44 AM
Welcome aboard everyone, and thank you so much for the information Jimmyb27 and Aruna :)

jvc
02-17-2007, 04:51 AM
Five Sheffieldians ... I wonder if there's something in the air that makes us writers?

Smog? the constant aroma of kebab take-aways?

Carmy
02-17-2007, 09:08 AM
I'm a Brit living in Canada.

Shara
02-17-2007, 05:48 PM
I'm a Brit, in Surrey. But I did spend 8 years of my living in Canada.

Shara

CBeasy
02-18-2007, 04:51 AM
This just goes to show how much the internet connects people. I had no idea that many of the people who posted in this thread were in the UK! Especially Ana, whom I converse with all the time! Howdy from across the pond!

truelyana
02-18-2007, 04:53 AM
Now you know :D heehee

It is all quite interesting isn't it :)

Evaine
02-19-2007, 09:45 PM
I'm British, and lucky enough to live in the town of Hay-on-Wye, the capital of second hand books - 36 bookshops and the Hay Literary Festival.

Momento Mori
02-19-2007, 10:00 PM
I'm a Brit - born in Lancashire, brought up in Berkshire and I live in London. Am feeling rather overwhelmed by the number of Sheffield residents here - maybe I should move there!

mistri
02-21-2007, 05:49 PM
I'm yet another Brit. From Merseyside originally, then moved to London, then Bath, and now I'm in Hertfordshire :)

truelyana
02-24-2007, 02:35 AM
Welcome all :)