truelyana

Set yourself free
Registered
Reaction score
Website
expressiveworld.com
Yup. I'm in Dundee.

Wohoooooo :hooray:

Just wanted to know, as i have been reading Jenna's book and i feel the websites may be inclined to the US based audience more than, the British.

Than, i wondered if there were any UK writers around on here that may know more about, the UK writing market than me. I don't know anything :hi:

Reaction score
I just buy my own copy of W&A Yearbook. Saves having to share it with all those pesky members of the public at the library.

truelyana

Set yourself free
Registered
Reaction score
Website
expressiveworld.com
I'm around

Wohooo, lovely to see you :hi:

*Waves* Yorkshire woman here. I imagine there are hundreds of us Brits lurking around. We just get drowned out. :rolleyes:

If you want to know about the UK industry, get the Writers' and Artists' Yearbook. I've only read bits at the library (I can only afford to park for two hours at a time. :() but it made things clearer for me.

As far as I can tell, the major difference between the US and UK is that we're not so big on the query letter here. Most publishers and agents seem to want 2-3 chapters and a short synopsis. Makes me want to move across the pond just to avoid that darn synopsis ...

:hi: I will definetly check that out, thanks. I have been reading Jenna's book and, have got the hunch that the UK may not be exactly, like the US. I can imagine, there's alot more to it than meets the eye. I do like the query for practicality. I suppose here they probably just, want to see more evidence of what you can do right on the spot before, the go ahead.(seems like the UK in general is continously adding on ways, to bring in more process work ie:Schools. Everything is far too processed these days, nothing is actually practically done on the spot)

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Most UK agents want to see 3 chs and synopsis, but most of them you can phone and ask if they are taking on new clients (big difference to US agents who you definitely do not phone).
There are more publishers who will look at unagented submissions. You also want to check out the writers conferences where you can meet and talk to the editors and agents in your genre.

truelyana

Set yourself free
Registered
Reaction score
Website
expressiveworld.com
Most UK agents want to see 3 chs and synopsis, but most of them you can phone and ask if they are taking on new clients (big difference to US agents who you definitely do not phone).
There are more publishers who will look at unagented submissions. You also want to check out the writers conferences where you can meet and talk to the editors and agents in your genre.

These tips are very informative, thank you. Say, for instance's you just want to write a 500 article for a magazine as a freelance writer, will they still need to see the majority of the article beforehand, or will it just be on the same lines as a query? Or completetly different altogether?

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Now I have to confess I know nothing about selling articles. I do fiction and a few book reviews. My guess is that if you have no track record with the magazine (or similar mags) then you should send the whole article.

truelyana

Set yourself free
Registered
Reaction score
Website
expressiveworld.com
Now I have to confess I know nothing about selling articles. I do fiction and a few book reviews. My guess is that if you have no track record with the magazine (or similar mags) then you should send the whole article.

Interesting. Thanks again. At the moment, I'm just doing a variety of reading so all in all, I'm not serious about anything for now.

I'm from the UK too, Scotland to be exact.

Welcome Rosie :D Lovely to see you :hi:

Reaction score
I wonder if the Americans present would know how to pronounce that?

Or Glamis...or Scone...;)

truelyana

Set yourself free
Registered
Reaction score
Website
expressiveworld.com
I wonder if the Americans present would know how to pronounce that?

Or Glamis...or Scone...;)

I'm not sure i know how to pronounce it neither. I was originally born in Portugal, and have been living here for quite some time now (16 years) but, i am still a bit hazy and have difficulties at pronouncing some words. Especially when it comes to having the letters 'y' in the word. Or even, pedestrian crossing, i pronounce it such as 'pedaz - stray - knee - anne' lol :D

Status
Not open for further replies.