PDA

View Full Version : Need a shove. Thanks!

Bubastes
02-12-2007, 09:27 PM
I've written next to nothing for 3 weeks (I submitted a long short story January). I have my list of projects that need to be written this year, but I can't even seem to get my butt out to my writers' group meetings, let alone get my butt back in the chair. I guess under all this is the feeling that Writing Just Doesn't Matter. When I overcome the "I'm wasting my time doing what I enjoy" feeling, I can crank out publishable stuff (knock on wood). But right now, I'm having problems overcoming that "wasting time" feeling to create any new work at all.

Can someone give me a strong heave-ho kick in the rear? Thanks!

Pagey's_Girl
02-12-2007, 09:53 PM
I don't want to push - how about if I dangle chocolate over your computer instead?

Deadbeat 007
02-12-2007, 09:54 PM
I've been having that same problem. Unless I'm really motivate and excited about starting a certain project, it's nearly impossible to get me in front of a Word program. Trying planning out certain parts of your work that you might look forward to doing. What kind of stuff is on your agenda?

Bubastes
02-12-2007, 09:59 PM
I've been having that same problem. Unless I'm really motivate and excited about starting a certain project, it's nearly impossible to get me in front of a Word program. Trying planning out certain parts of your work that you might look forward to doing. What kind of stuff is on your agenda?

One non-fiction article (no deadline, but the editor is expecting it whenever), 2 short stories, and a novel (my first!). I have broad-sketch outlines and a word count progress schedule for all of them. I'm even excited about doing them! But for some reason, I find that paying bills, errands, more work, and other "important, constructive, useful, grown-up things" shove the "frivolous" writing time aside. Yeah, I'm a warped puppy.

Deadbeat 007
02-12-2007, 10:08 PM
Yeah, I'm a warped puppy.

:ROFL:

Maybe if you tried to plan your day out? Then when it comes time for the "fun" stuff, you'll have to force yourself into it. Not sure if you've already tried that. Those are tough moods to get over.

Azure Skye
02-12-2007, 10:32 PM
:e2BIC: :whip:

Move it!

I don't like being a bossy britches. Move it anyway. LOL

K1P1
02-12-2007, 10:34 PM
I know exactly what you mean and I'm guilty of exactly the same thing. It's not the work that's the problem, it's sitting down and starting on it.

IMHO, what you need is a deadline. Not a schedule (easy to plan, hard to adhere to). A hard deadline, where something bad will happen, like embarrassment, if you don't make it.

If you'll keep us informed, we can hound you and provide peer pressure.

Or you and I can form a pact. I'll work on my book if you'll work on yours. I can be a great nag--ask my children.

triceretops
02-12-2007, 10:36 PM
Get over to the WPR (Weekend Progress Report), and get busy! What makes you think you're wasting your time? What would you do in place of writing that would give you more satisfaction? That decision is up to you.

Tri:D

johnzakour
02-12-2007, 10:40 PM
If you don't write you can't sell.

zenwriter
02-12-2007, 10:44 PM
Iíve been feeling something similar myself. I have pulled out the old kitchen timer and have been pushing myself to write for just 5 minutes a stretch. Sometimes, I just keep writing after my time is up. Sometimes, I only get to write in 5 minute increments, but stuff does get written while I wait for this little problem to go away. Itís not the most elegant solution, but itís working.

:Hug2:

swvaughn
02-12-2007, 10:52 PM
Dear MeowGirl,

Sit your butt down in that chair. Forget your writer's group. Get off the Internet. Write something. Right. This. Minute. If it's crap, you can edit it later. I want to hear those keys tapping!

In short: *shove*

:D

Histry Nerd
02-12-2007, 11:39 PM
MeowGirl -

How about a shove out of your comfort zone?

Write anything. Minimum 500 words. You must incorporate the following items, plucked at random from the top of my cranium:

A dog
Dale Earnhart's racing uniform
courtesy
a star

The piece may not contain a cat, or anything relating to the feline.

Time starts now. Go!
HN

ErylRavenwell
02-13-2007, 03:31 AM
I think reading is as important as writing. You don't have to write all the time; but if you are not writing, then you must be reading something of worth. Sometimes, better to give writing a rest as well.

lfraser
02-13-2007, 03:37 AM
You wanna be a writer?

Then kwitcherbitching and get your lazy arse in that chair. Write something, dammit!:D

And, um, I will too.

K1P1
02-13-2007, 04:02 AM
OK MG, what have you done since we last talked? I've knitted a swatch, rescued two balls of yarn from the cat, and am starting another swatch. For the uninitiated, these are supporting materials for photography for my book.

<taps foot> I'm waiting for an answer!

Bubastes
02-13-2007, 04:18 AM
OK MG, what have you done since we last talked? I've knitted a swatch, rescued two balls of yarn from the cat, and am starting another swatch. For the uninitiated, these are supporting materials for photography for my book.

<taps foot> I'm waiting for an answer!

LOL! I, um, well, I just got home from my day job.

After dinner, I'll hunker down and read the dry-as-dust book I have to review (and take notes) for 30 minutes or until it puts me to sleep, whichever comes first. :D Sound good?

dreamsofnever
02-13-2007, 04:40 AM
I suffered from the same problem for years, MeowGirl. I always felt guilty for stealing time to work on writing, even though ideas and characters would eat my brain if I ignored them.

Finally I thought about it and realized something-leisure time is just as important as all the 'grown-up' things we need to do. Yes, there are only so many hours in a day, and yes things need to get done, but life is too short to spend it doing just things you 'have' to do.

If writing is something you really enjoy, then set aside time to do it, not because you're hoping to turn a profit or become a great published writer, but because it's something that makes you happy. That way, you eliminate feeling guilty about doing something not 'worthwhile' because you're scheduling it as leisure time (aka mental health time, which we ALL need some of)

Mae
02-13-2007, 04:54 AM
How's this for a good friendly shove Meow:

I don't want to see a new post from you until you have done something, anything, in the direction you need to go.

You can do it. For me... your "wanna be".

Bubastes
02-13-2007, 05:38 AM
Yee hah! I researched for 30 minutes. Thanks for the encouragement and shoves, everyone! I'm slowly feeling the momentum coming back.

Mae
02-13-2007, 05:40 AM
congrats!

K1P1
02-13-2007, 06:15 AM
And I've been working since 5 am, including a couple of hours at the day job, and cooking dinner for the family. I just can't do any more tonight. Can I go to bed too?

Bubastes
02-13-2007, 06:16 AM
And I've been working since 5 am, including a couple of hours at the day job, and cooking dinner for the family. I just can't do any more tonight. Can I go to bed too?

Yes, go! You've earned it big time!

Willowmound
02-13-2007, 08:11 AM
Can someone give me a strong heave-ho kick in the rear? Thanks!

You suck at writing.

Now prove me wrong, or admit defeat.

Bubastes
02-13-2007, 06:12 PM
You suck at writing.

Now prove me wrong, or admit defeat.

LOL! Well, you've inspired my new writing motto: you're only as good as your current WIP.

I've seen the "you're only as good as your last project" quote elsewhere, but I think that encourages laurel-resting if taken too far. No rest here!

Thanks again to all for the nags!

dreamsofnever
02-14-2007, 12:41 AM
LOL! Well, you've inspired my new writing motto: you're only as good as your current WIP.

I've seen the "you're only as good as your last project" quote elsewhere, but I think that encourages laurel-resting if taken too far. No rest here!

Thanks again to all for the nags!

Oooh, I like that motto! I'm adding that to my 'mantra' list.