Software to Score Music?

writerangel

Hi, everyone! I'm sooo excited about this new section of the board!!! :D

I have a quick question. Does anyone know of a user-friendly software package that will score music as you play it into the keyboard? I have the keyboarding skills, but I'm abysmally deficient in the area of scoring. I need the software to set the time signature of the piece as well as place the key, separate the measures, and place the appropriate musical notes. Also, I need it to automatically space the music when I type the lyrics in so everything will move into place.

Thanks in advance!

--writerangel

emeraldcite

most midi software will score for you...if your keyboard has an adapter, you can plug it right into your computer through USB (depends on which kind you get). You can also pick up MIDI software pretty cheap at your local circuit city or comparable computer outlet.

rtilryarms

You probably already did, but check out your keyboard. If it is fairly new and good quality, it is probably already packaged with a Midi integrator. Go to the manufacturers home page. Lok for either MIDI or Kareoke interfacing.

Scores and sheet music are pretty easy but charts and tabulatrue might be more expensive if you are trying to market to commercial bands. My brother does my charts for me and I do my own tabs.

rt

Hapsburg

Finale will do it, as well as other coda software, and they do it well, but you need to have some knowledge of music theory. It won't assign a key for you and make measure breaks because afterall, the key signature has an equivalent from minor to major and there is no way for a computer to know which of those you mean. Not to mention a-tonal or modes...

A simple version of finale, with some limitations, is available free for download at the coda website if you wanna check them out. It's called finale notepad i think...

astonwest

2 WIP? A glutton for punishment
Registered
Reaction score
Website
astonwest.com
Was just in the music store the other day, and a salesman demoed a keyboard which would score the music, and did a pretty good job of figuring out time, measures, and whatnot (though I didn't look close enough to notice if it figured out a key)...

Granted, I was in looking at other things, and am not a keyboard enthusiast (mentioned I like to write music, thus the demo), so didn't pay attention to what kind of a keyboard it was...

(and of course, it WAS a demo......)

LaBell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bellmusicproductions.com
writerangel said:
Hi, everyone! I'm sooo excited about this new section of the board!!! :D

I have a quick question. Does anyone know of a user-friendly software package that will score music as you play it into the keyboard? I have the keyboarding skills, but I'm abysmally deficient in the area of scoring. I need the software to set the time signature of the piece as well as place the key, separate the measures, and place the appropriate musical notes. Also, I need it to automatically space the music when I type the lyrics in so everything will move into place.

Thanks in advance!

--writerangel
For years, Finale has been the industry standard, but many of today's younger composers are using Sibelius. My son (composer/guitar player) is a music composition major and he likes it a lot. My husband (composer/keyboard player) is using it, too. Both say it's great. Check it out: http://www.sibelius.com/cgi-bin/home/home.pl

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, LaBele. coincidentally i was just about to google this very thing. I am looking to convert some of my music to CD's via keyboard and guitar pickup. I don't know if this is the product for me but it will definatly get me going in the right direction.

This place never ceases to amaze me.

BTW, welcome!

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yvw

So I am looking to make my home office into an amateur recording studio. I need to know how to, or what to use to, convert keyboard, guitar and voice to CD using mixers and tracks.

I have an old Keyboard and have to buy a new one. All my guitars are acoustic and I will need a pick-up.

Do I need an electric guitar? (eww)

OK, that's how much I know righ now :)

LaBell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bellmusicproductions.com
rtilryarms said:
yvw

So I am looking to make my home office into an amateur recording studio. I need to know how to, or what to use to, convert keyboard, guitar and voice to CD using mixers and tracks.

I have an old Keyboard and have to buy a new one. All my guitars are acoustic and I will need a pick-up.

Do I need an electric guitar? (eww)

OK, that's how much I know righ now :)
I sent your question to my husband, Linwood. (His office is next to mine, yet we email each other all day - kinda funny, I know. This way we don't interrupt each other when we are working. We just check our email often. ha!) Anyway, he makes a living writing music. Here's his reply:

If you're pc based: look into Cubase Sx software. Buy yourself a soundcard. Check an RME audio card. For sounds, if you want to get a "all in one box" type program, look at Colossus @soundsonline.com.

Now, you'll need a mic and pre amp for the mic. There are too many to chose from, but for an entry level set up, I'd allow a budget of say...$800 for the two. This will be good quality without breaking the bank. You can spend more if you'd like. I paid 5k for my mic and pre...

Get yourself a nice keyboard to play. I use a Yamaha Motif es8 because I love the action on it. That might be a little overkill for you. So, look at a Yamaha S90 or an S90es. Take a look at a Roland Fantom 88 or the 76.

If you're mac based: Look at Digital Performer 4.6 or Logic Pro 7.1. Everything else applies.

Make sure you have lots of RAM. I've got 4.5 gigs. You'll want at least a gig or two.

Now, we've spent a little $ here, but you want to do it right. You don't want to be dealing with computer/software problems when you're really trying to compose.

As for the guitar, you can record the ac.guitar with the mic/pre. You could also play an electric into the sound card and buy software that can emulate a rack full of processors and many different amps and cabinets. Take a look at the Native Instruments site.

Google all these names to learn a little more about them.

I hope this help you! ~ Linda :)

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Heck yea Linda thanks! And email my thanks to your husband too. It's probably too late to be in your offices so just IM him while you 2 are reading in bed.

This will save me a lot of research. I owe you guys.