Would it be unwise to seek fiction and non-fiction agents at the same time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KCathy

Writer when I grow up
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.catherinebusinelle.com
Please forgive me if this is a question you've seen a hundred times; I couldn't figure out how to search for previous similar posts without calling up nearly every post in AW.

I just started seeking an agent for a proposed non-fiction book and want to keep writing so that I don't get rusty or feel the rejections so acutely. Being around AW has gotten me interested in polishing up and seeking an agent for a finished novel mouldering away on my hard drive.

If I get it ready before managing to sell the non-fiction idea, would it be nuts to try to find separate agents for each project at the same time? Should I try instead to find agents who handle both? If I manage to get an agent to represent one or the other, would she tell me to drop the other project to focus on whichever one she agreed to represent?

I know it's wildly unlikely that I would manage to sell both at the same time, and even a stretch to sell one. I just wondered how to handle two genres or if I'm crazy for considering doing both at once in the first place. Thanks in advance for any help and sorry for being so ignorant on this one!

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
In my experience, agents handle all the work from each of their clients. I doubt very much you'd find an agent willing to represent your fiction if your non-fiction was all ready represented by another agent. So you're going to have to look for an agent who can do both for you, I suspect.

Jennifer L

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferlawler.com
separate fiction and non-fiction agents

I'm a newbie here on AW (long-time lurker), but I've published over twenty-five non-fiction books. I have a delightful non-fiction agent who doesn't rep fiction. When I finished my novel, I let her know that I would be finding a different agent to rep my fiction. This was no problem at all. The fiction agent I eventually signed with knew up front that I have a non-fiction agent. I keep each informed in general terms of what the other is doing, but that's about it.

Some agents can sell fiction and non-fiction with equal facility, but most focus their efforts on one or the other. I have a number of colleagues with more than one agent for this very reason.

YMMV,
Jennifer

Status
Not open for further replies.