My Mom OD'd

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Someone mailed me to say my mother had taken an overdose of sleeping tabs by mistake and had been found unconsious next to her bed, and was in hospital.

But she is OK; I've spoken to both her and the doctor.

But this brings me to the point in my life I'd been hoping to delay as long as possible. I've got to get her over here. She's 86 and mentally sharp but lives all by herself in a house that's falling apart.
Not even the running water is working, because the water pressure is too low. She has to fetch water from the yard in buckets. And she lives on the first floor so there's a staircase to manoevre.
and has no-one nearby to help except one or two helpful young women. I'm her only child. No other relatives in the whole country. I've got to get her here. But how? I tried 20 years ago and she coulnd't get a permanent visa.

(And no, it wasn't a suicide attempt. She's the last person who would attempt suicide.)

Reaction score
Wow, I'm glad she's okay aruna.

I hope things work out for you both. :) Perhaps now the fact you are her next of kin would help the authorities to make their decision? Hope so anyway.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, Aruna, how terrible. I do hope you can get her with you and keep her safe. And I do hope that there's someone there to look after you, as you care for your mother and your husband and your children. Email me if you need to rant, OK?

J. Weiland

Lurker
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear it, aruna, but I'm glad that your mom is okay.

:Hug2:

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Thanks to everyone for their kind wishes. It's one of those things that has been looming in front of me for years, and there just isn't a perfect solution.

Even if I get her to Germany (I might be able to get her in under UN humanitarian grounds, seeing as I am her next of kin) she would never be happy here. We have lots of room for her but she does not speak German (Though knowing her she would learn it!) and she's be bored to death; it's quite a sterile environment and she has been active her whole life in public life. She just can't stop.

The other alternative would be for her to move to England, where I'm sure she'd get involved in stuff quite quickly (her passion is Consumer affairs). My kids, bless their hearts, have offered that she could live with them. But there is no room in their flat and I can't get a bigger place for all of them. And I don't know if it's fair to burden two young people with that responsibility.

Oh well. Maybe a new solution will present itself in due course. I really need to go over there and sort things out but I can't leave my husband. It's a complicated knot.

Southern_girl29

Registered
Reaction score
Aruna, I can't offer any advice, but I wanted to say that I'm glad she's ok and I hope you can get things straightened out quickly.

Cath

The mean one
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cathsmith.net
Aruna - I'm glad your mum is ok.

It might be worth investigating getting her a visa as your dependent - I doubt she was 20 years ago, but now it might be different.

I can't do much else than send a :Hug2:

eldragon

in a van down by the river
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
Aruna, your mom sounds like an interesting character. I'm glad she's well.

We have to deal with similar stress. My mother-n-law is in her seventies and lives in Belgrade, Yugoslavia. She was penalized 10 years for overstaying her visa on her last visit, which was 7 years ago. (My brother-n-law was handling it, my husband and I had no idea that he wasn't keeping up on the paperwork. (she overstayed 6 months.) She was unable to return home during the war, and then, she returned volunatarily and when a year later, she requested a visa, she was denied and penalized 10 years. I've written to everyone to try to get this reversed, with no luck.)

So, we're always worried about what we will do when she can no longer care for herself.

It's very stressful, and I understand your position completely.

giftedrhonda

Gifted Goofball
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, I wish I had good advice. You'll be in my thoughts...I hope you figure something out soon that works out!!

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ohh Aruna, so sorry--- Is there an Adult Protective Services agency you could work with? :Hug2:

ritinrider

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The other alternative would be for her to move to England, where I'm sure she'd get involved in stuff quite quickly (her passion is Consumer affairs). My kids, bless their hearts, have offered that she could live with them. But there is no room in their flat and I can't get a bigger place for all of them. And I don't know if it's fair to burden two young people with that responsibility.

:Hug2:Aruna, I'm sorry you're in such a mess. Maybe, between you, your mom, and your kids they can afford a place big enough for everyone. I'm guessing your mom is paying something for her place now, if she kept paying that and the kids added what they're paying now, and maybe a little extra from you, would be enough. If your mom is still active, and liable to continue to be so if she moves it may not be that much of a burden on the kids. Yes, it will be some because they will feel responsible for her, but as long as she's healthy they won't have to worry too much. Also, she and the kids may benefit from each other. When my grandmother was much younger I tried to talk her into living with me, she sort of wanted to move back to OKlahoma but my folks didn't want her living alone, and she wouldn't live with them. I lived too far out in the country, she wouldn't come, but I tried. Are you concerned her health may fail and the kids would have that huge burden? Sorry, can't help you there. I hope you come up with a solution that works for all of you.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Thanks for your kind thoughts!
My mom owns her house in Guyana. Her only income at the moment is from renting one room in the house - she can hardly make ends meet as it is, Even if we rent her house, we won't get much from it as it's in disrepair and I can't afford a renovation wight now - plus it's not possible to take money out of Guyana. So that's the problem!

Supporting her once she;s here wil not be a problem - I donlt know anyone in the world who is so undemanding. She eats like a bird and does't care about clothes.

The main problem in bringing her to Germany is medical insurance. That was why she couldn't stay last time. It is compulsary here, and there is a cheap system for people on low income. She would not be eligible for that. She would have to get private medical insurance - but the private companies don't take any new clients above the age of 60. So it would be even harder to get now. (i think there was one company that did - but you have to pay like $2000 monthly!)
The only way we could get her a permanent visa would be to put a huge amount of money in a deposit to cover any medical costs that might crop up during her lifetime. Since they cannot refuse medical treatment the state is afraid of having her as a liability.
Anyway, tomorrow I'll be investigating the options. I am really going to go for that humanitarian aspect; i think if she can get in under those grounds she'll get the cheap health insurance.

My mother is a dynamo. She's also a writer. I think if she does come here she'll be surfing the net all day long! Maybe she'll join AW!

Penguin Queen

Break the rules.
Registered
Reaction score
Cardiff. Berlin. Mars. (One day.) Buenos Aires, so
Website
www.herrad.net
I hope you'll find a good solution -- your mother sounds like a great person and a great character. :)

I dont know if this will help in any way at all, but do you know of the Künstlersozialkasse? It won't apply to your mother, it's a scheme set up by the German state to help artists avoid the high health insurance costs -- the heading of Künstler is very elastic, I'm insured there as a journalist; & they count literary translators as well as any kind of writer.
In case you can insure yourself there, there might be a chance of insuring your mother there as a dependent... www.kuenstlersozialkasse.de

Although it sounds like she woudl be happy too staying in Guayana, is there any chance you could find someone to live with her to look after her? She sounds fabulously independent.

Best of luck for both of you. :)

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
Someone mailed me to say my mother had taken an overdose of sleeping tabs by mistake and had been found unconsious next to her bed, and was in hospital.

But she is OK; I've spoken to both her and the doctor.

But this brings me to the point in my life I'd been hoping to delay as long as possible. I've got to get her over here. She's 86 and mentally sharp but lives all by herself in a house that's falling apart.
Not even the running water is working, because the water pressure is too low. She has to fetch water from the yard in buckets. And she lives on the first floor so there's a staircase to manoevre.
and has no-one nearby to help except one or two helpful young women. I'm her only child. No other relatives in the whole country. I've got to get her here. But how? I tried 20 years ago and she coulnd't get a permanent visa.

(And no, it wasn't a suicide attempt. She's the last person who would attempt suicide.)

That's a hard one, Aruna. I can't give any advice, but I do want you to know I'll be sure to keep you and your Mom in my prayers. I do very much hope you get this all worked out. I wish you the very best, Aruna.

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
Aruna, I hope you find a way to get your mom to security and safety. I know how you feel - my mom lives across the country and has numerous medical problems. The upside is that her landlord is a fantastic fellow and takes good care of her, and her sister lives just down the street.

I love her, but I couldn't STAND having her live with me... again. It's a long story.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
I haven't a clue what to say that might help... but I'll be sending good vibes out into the universe for both of you. Dealing with aging loved ones is hard enough even when they're less than a mile away; I can't imagine how difficult it is to deal with at that long a distance. (((Hugs)))

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
Sorry to hear this, Aruna. I hope things work out w/ your Mom. Mostly, thank god she's okay :Hug2:

It's really tough when they get older. Maybe separating her meds, somehow? Get someone else to give them to her. Or, you can get those boxes that are split out into days of the week. Then, someone can fill them up for her, at the beginning of each week. That way, there's no confusion as to what's been taken, when.

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Aruna, so sorry you have such a worry, but so glad your mom is ok. I know I worry about my 88-year-old mom. Sure hope things work out for you both. :Hug2: My prayers and thoughts are with you.

K1P1

Procrastination is its own reward
Registered
Reaction score
Aruna, I'm sorry to hear about your Mom. I know how hard it is to take care of parents when they are only a few hours away, not nearly so far distant as your mother. I hope you can find a way to work things out for your peace of mind and for her health and security.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Oh, Aruna, that's a difficult situation for you! I wish I could help with some good advice, but I'm at a loss. Geez, my mom lived one town over and I worried about her constantly. Can you get someone to live with her or make sure each day that her meals and meds are set out? You're in my thoughts and prayers.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just wanted to send you a hug. My parents are ageing, but they live down the street from me. I can't imagine the stress of having my Mom far away. I hope you find a solution.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Very sorry, Aruna. I wish I could help you out with some ideas. Best of luck.

arrowqueen

RIP, our sarky besom
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad your mother is all right - and I hope you find a way through the red tape so she can be with you.

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's terrible, Aruna!

I hope you can get her over to you. I wish I could help. I'll offer up a prayer if you don't mind. I'm glad she's okay.

Terri