Recommendations for a digital printer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ Clawson

I'm doing a run of a public domain book that's been out of print for a while (60 years) for a small community that wants it but can't afford the original edition, which is going for way too much money in used copies. The initial run will probably be 200 books and I'll cover the expense with capital from pre-orders.

Does anyone have experiences with a good digital printer?
Adibooks/King Printing looks good, and has made me an offer of $5 per book for a 300-page paperback.

Netpublications is out because they're in New York and I'm in New York so there will be a $100 sales tax.

Bookmobile gave me a very high quote (almost $8 a copy).

I definitely want something in the US and preferably something on the east coast for shipping reasons, but nothing in New York for sales tax reasons. The book is 300 pages and I want to keep the per-book cost around $5, preferably under, for a 200-book run. Unfortunately I'm told I can't see proofs until I've signed up.

Are they all kinda the same? Does anyone have recommendations? Thank you.

- DJ Clawson

Anthony Ravenscroft

Scribble, scribble, scribble
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.crossquarter.com
Wow -- I coulda sworn Bookmobile was more reasonable. I've got my book here that's 294 + 16 pp, so call it 310. They did have an initial setup charge of $99, but I thought the unit cost was less than $6 for smaller runs than you cite. Then again, mine has no illustrations or anything, but I don't know if that'd make a difference for you.

DJ Clawson

Wow -- I coulda sworn Bookmobile was more reasonable. I've got my book here that's 294 + 16 pp, so call it 310. They did have an initial setup charge of $99, but I thought the unit cost was less than $6 for smaller runs than you cite. Then again, mine has no illustrations or anything, but I don't know if that'd make a difference for you.

I don't have any illustrations and single color text. I may just call them and ask them to give me another quote.

Status
Not open for further replies.