PDA

View Full Version : AW profile AW profile

johnzakour
02-10-2007, 05:56 PM
Hi:

Something just struck me as odd, for the first time I noticed (I'm a wee slow) that the AW profiles contain both: Date of Birth and Age.

Doesn't this seem a bit redundant??

Maybe even slightly superfluous??

ChaosTitan
02-10-2007, 07:47 PM
I only see Month, Date, and Year (optional). And then the option to display it or keep it private.

*shrugs*

Rolling Thunder
02-10-2007, 08:22 PM
Not really. On some forums where age and birth dates might be good information, like a singles or teenagers board, it would probably be used often.

Vbulletin software is designed for wide use so it's most likely just the way the program is designed.

johnzakour
02-10-2007, 10:44 PM
Not really. On some forums where age and birth dates might be good information, like a singles or teenagers board, it would probably be used often.

Vbulletin software is designed for wide use so it's most likely just the way the program is designed.

Being an ex-programmer I'm aware of that.

My point is, if you have the birthdate it doesn't take a lot of effort to figure out the age. I just find it an interesting option to be able to display both your date of birth and age. It's like I was born on 11/24/57 and so you don't have to do math that means I'm 49.

Rolling Thunder
02-10-2007, 11:15 PM
Maybe you should visit Tsuki's math homework thread. :D

Our future is doomed. :roll:

rugcat
02-11-2007, 12:36 AM
My point is, if you have the birthdate it doesn't take a lot of effort to figure out the age. I just find it an interesting option to be able to display both your date of birth and age. It's like I was born on 11/24/57 and so you don't have to do math that means I'm 49.It gives you the option of providing the day of your birth without revealing the year and thus your age. Whether this is useful or not is a different question. Maybe there should be a field for your astrological sign, instead. Dude.

WildScribe
02-11-2007, 12:49 AM
Capricorn, thanks for asking.

Maryn
02-12-2007, 01:27 AM
Come on, don't tell me I'm the only person who struggles with subtracting 19-whatever from 2007 in my head. I mean, two zeros? That's a lot of carrying!

Maryn, for whom the calculator was invented

Medievalist
02-12-2007, 01:34 AM
Being an ex-programmer I'm aware of that.

My point is, if you have the birthdate it doesn't take a lot of effort to figure out the age. I just find it an interesting option to be able to display both your date of birth and age. It's like I was born on 11/24/57 and so you don't have to do math that means I'm 49.

It's easier to have that data than it is to waste cycles calculating it.

Pagey's_Girl
02-12-2007, 06:01 AM
Come on, don't tell me I'm the only person who struggles with subtracting 19-whatever from 2007 in my head. I mean, two zeros? That's a lot of carrying!

Maryn, for whom the calculator was invented

You say "numbers" and my brain crashes.

*Reboot in progress*

Celia Cyanide
02-12-2007, 07:59 PM
It gives you the option of providing the day of your birth without revealing the year and thus your age.

There is also the option to display one and not the other, whether you enter the year or not. You can reveal your age (maybe you want to) without revealing your Date of Birth.

Maryn
02-12-2007, 10:25 PM
Right. No way I'm letting you bozos know my astrological sign!

Maryn, whose sign is yellow and triangular

Dixie
02-13-2007, 12:23 AM
For privacy - I choose not to reveal my DOB. You'd be surprised at how much easier we make it for ID theives by revealing information we otherwise wouldnt (or shouldn't) worry about.

Your SSN doesnt reveal your DOB your DOB doesnt reveal your SSN - but both in the wrong hands could be costly.

maestrowork
02-13-2007, 01:53 AM
In some countries, DOB is used as identification. It's a privacy issue -- would you give out your SSN in the US?

truelyana
02-13-2007, 02:05 AM
What does 'SNN' stand for?

waylander
02-13-2007, 02:50 AM
Social Security Number