PDA

View Full Version : Should I cut my hair?

WildScribe
02-10-2007, 01:59 AM
I have been growing my hair out for years, and it is getting quite long indeed. My husband has long hair, too, and I find it quite attractive. I keep thinking about cutting mine short like a pixie cut, though. So what do you all think?

Here's my hair.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d125/FatesLady/LongHair.jpg

Here's my icky high hairline.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d125/FatesLady/HairBack.jpg

Help me out, here!

aadams73
02-10-2007, 02:19 AM
You have lovely hair, but it sounds like you're ready to make a change! Go for the chop, maybe something still long enough to scrape up into a ponytail. I think the shorter hair will be easier to take care of when BabyScribe arrives :)

startwearingpurple
02-10-2007, 02:26 AM
I had hair to my mid back and then i cut it all off like a boys, Im talking real short, then i had it in a lil pink mohawk for a while, and i do get embarrassed sometimes when i look back at pictures but im glad i did it so that i now know what i look like with really short hair for future reference, the only thing id say is it can take a while to grow it back but it WILL grow back so i would take the plunge and go for it. my hairs now to my shoulders again :)

WildScribe
02-10-2007, 02:32 AM
I'm worried that if I cut it I will look like a boy. I had it short my entire childhood, and my brother and I were frequently mistaken for brothers or male twins. Now I'm afraid to cut it... Plus I'm not sure how strongly my tight little curls will come back without all that weight... c'mon... anyone else?

ETA: Thanks for the replies so far, btw! You all rock!

Maryn
02-10-2007, 02:42 AM
I oppose major changes in appearance while pregnant. However, a trim in which you lose up to 10 inches, get some lift or fullness, and a different frame around your pretty face is always a good pick-me-up, pregnant or not.

Maryn, who cut her hair quite short during pregnancy two--huge mistake! ("Mommy, see the pinhead lady?")

startwearingpurple
02-10-2007, 02:45 AM
Well the only way to know for sure is to do it but if your really worried about the curls you could consult with a hairdresser and ask them their opinion on the curl situation, see the difference with my hair being short is that i had dead straight hair there wasnt the slightest kink in it when it was long, now its all flicky and waveyish since its been cut. how short is short for you? whats a pixie cut in your opinion?

WildScribe
02-10-2007, 02:48 AM
A couple inches long, maybe. (About an inch from the head, but my hair does unpredictable things! ;)

Mud Dauber
02-10-2007, 02:50 AM
Yes, definitely. Getting a haircut is liberating, especially if you've had it as long as yours for many years. You will love how healthy and light you'll feel. And no need to go super short, like a boy. Just cut off enough to make a difference. With your length, you could afford to cut off ten inches, then donate it to Locks of Love: http://www.locksoflove.org/index.php#item1 I always thought that would be a cool thing to do.

Mud Dauber
02-10-2007, 02:53 AM
Oh, and one other thing.. Don't count on your hair's texture to be the same after your baby is born--you know, hormones and all that. I once had straight hair with only a slight wave, and after two kids I am officially a curly cue! Hormones! Hormones! Hormones!

startwearingpurple
02-10-2007, 02:53 AM
well maybe you should do it in stages like cut it to your shoulders first then take it from there you could get layers or something too but i dunno because of the curls. it really depends on the style you want

and mud dauber that is a very cool thing indeed

startwearingpurple
02-10-2007, 02:56 AM
and congratulations on being pregnant(im assuming you since evryone is mentioning babies)

Mud Dauber
02-10-2007, 03:00 AM
and congratulations on being pregnant(im assuming you since evryone is mentioning babies)
Yikes! I just based the pregnancy comment off Maryn's post, sorry. Don't want to be spreading any rumors...:o

rhymegirl
02-10-2007, 03:06 AM
As you can see I have long hair and I'm keeping it that way.
It's even longer than this now. I would recommend just getting it trimmed or layered, but still having it somewhat long.

I will never forget Michael Landon saying that he believed long hair gives you strength.

startwearingpurple
02-10-2007, 03:08 AM
I will never forget Michael Landon saying that he believed long hair gives you strength.

Did he base that from a samson and deliah kinda thang?

SC Harrison
02-10-2007, 03:16 AM
Here's my hair.

I gotta tell ya, you have that Puritan girl right on the verge of going bad look, which is mega-sexy in my book. Of course, my book is full of different looks, and I'm pretty sure the pixie-cut is mentioned in Chapter 7.

It's all good. :)

WildScribe
02-10-2007, 04:22 AM
I am pregnant. And long hair gives you strength? Seems rather odd to me. Strength comes from within, and I have always been a strong person.

As for cutting it in stages - it looks good long, but medium lengths turn into afros. It's always the worst part of growing my hair out again (not that I've cut it since I was 12 or 13)

JDCrayne
02-10-2007, 04:26 AM
My hair takes seven year to grow to waist length. I get bored with it now and then, wack it off, and start over.

If you don't like your high forehead, sure -- cut your hair and plan on a style that lets you pull some of the curls down over your forehead.

WildScribe
02-10-2007, 04:39 AM
Seven years.... yup, time for a cut! ;)

Cath
02-10-2007, 04:39 AM
A couple inches long, maybe. (About an inch from the head, but my hair does unpredictable things! ;)

So does mine (as my avatar piccie shows!).

You've got a great face shape for short hair. I think it would really suit you. And hair grows, right? If you don't like it, just grow it out.

kristie911
02-10-2007, 05:55 AM
I have really thick curly hair...and some sort of OCD that doesn't allow me to keep a hair style for more than a year. So every couple of years, I wack it off, leave it for awhile then let it grow out. I'm currently in the grow it out phase. When it's wet it just about reaches my shoulders...dry, it just barely covers my ears.

Go for something different! It's just hair, it grows back so have some fun with it! :) And when you do, we want to see pics!

C.bronco
02-10-2007, 06:05 AM
Oh, and one other thing.. Don't count on your hair's texture to be the same after your baby is born--you know, hormones and all that. I once had straight hair (http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=11&k=straight%20hair) with only a slight wave, and after two kids I am officially a curly cue! Hormones! Hormones! Hormones!
Wow, mine's still pin straight.

I say go for a just above the shoulder cut first and see how you like it. Then you can either let it grow (that's still fairly long), or cut it again. When my hair is very short, I look like I'm ten years old. I've got to keep it at least at the chin, though now it's fairly long.

Soccer Mom
02-10-2007, 07:12 AM
I vote for layers. Layers would really wake those beautiful curls up. Mine is straight as a board. I've been asked more times than I can count how I get mine so straight. No magic product there. It's just that straight. And it won't even hold a perm. I tried back in the eighties.

DamaNegra
02-10-2007, 09:22 AM
I'm a sucker for long hair. I'd kill to have my hair as long as yours.

On a second thought, maybe it is, but because of the curls it looks too damn short. I say long!!

P.H.Delarran
02-10-2007, 09:37 AM
If you have the urge for change, go for it. There are lots of cute things you could do with your hair type and face shape. There's a good selection of hairstyles for different lengths and textures here. (http://hairstyles.free-beauty-tips.com/)
if you have a beauty college in your area, they usually offer haircuts that include informative pre-consultations with an instructor, and for a great price. Since they all work on each other's hair, there are always many different hairstyles walking around the place, great for ideas.
I will say though that Maryn is right about not doing anything too extreme when you are pregnant. No reason to play games with your hormone swings LOL. (especially since you are probably cautious about personal physical changes..seeing how it's been so long since a haircut.)
Good luck and let us know!

billythrilly7th
02-10-2007, 10:00 AM
Cut 10-12 inches off.

BUT DO NOT GO SHORT AND CURLY UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE.

kristie911
02-10-2007, 10:02 AM
BUT DO NOT GO SHORT AND CURLY UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE.

Don't listen to billy. There is nothing wrong with short and curly.

BottomlessCup
02-10-2007, 10:05 AM
Don't listen to billy. There is nothing wrong with short and curly.

You mean, like Annie?

Um.

Well, I guess she is already married.

kristie911
02-10-2007, 10:17 AM
I do NOT look like Annie.

TsukiRyoko
02-10-2007, 11:30 AM
I say you keep the length but go with a mohawk. Oh, what a glamorous day that would be... I'd smile forever.

Don't go too short unless you're going for a pixie 'do (those are cute on everyone except for Dubbya). I'd say go from a little below shoulder length, then see what how much shorter you want to go from there.

oswann
02-10-2007, 01:06 PM
Cut. Really long hair gives me the impression girls are way too proud of their ability to grow really long hair or are incapable of making a decision. Get a style sister.

Os.

WildScribe
02-10-2007, 09:41 PM
Okay, I'm going for something like http://www.beautyriot.com/article.php?id=2231&c_id=61

Too bad they can't make my face like hers, too! ;)

Crossing my fingers, holding my breath...

Sweetlebee
02-10-2007, 09:45 PM
I'm sure that will take all your curls away unless you scrunch it. I have fine, wavy/curly hair. Chin-length with light layering works best for me. I like soft, loose curls.

Cath
02-10-2007, 09:52 PM
Crossing my fingers, holding my breath...
I warn you, it's going to take about a week before you realise that the person staring out from the mirror is really you. :)

P.H.Delarran
02-10-2007, 10:52 PM
What a cute style. Good luck- show us pictures.

benbradley
02-10-2007, 11:44 PM
Your long hair is beautiful, but as a guy who has had different lengths of hair during his life, I can understand a desire to have much shorter hair just so you don't have to spend so much time caring (washing, drying, combing) for it. What does your husband think? Is he okay with you cutting it? Of all the people to ask, I think it would affect your relationship with him more than with all of us here on AW!:)

While I think of it, if you're going to get it cut rather short, can't you sell the hair you get cut off? Some people may not feel comfortable doing that, but it's an idea.

WildScribe
02-11-2007, 12:44 AM
My hair is SHORT! It's actually a little shorter than I asked for, but I'm okay with that, and it will grow out fast anyway. I asked my husband before I asked any of you sillies, and he likes it long, but gave me the green. He likes it better longer, but he admits that it is cute. The Looooong braid that was cut off is going to locks of love for their cause. And now... PICS!

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d125/FatesLady/Short.jpg

And

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d125/FatesLady/ShortSide.jpg

kristie911
02-11-2007, 01:01 AM
I love it! It's really cute. The first time you wash it you're going to use WAY too much shampoo out of habit...I hate that!

You go girl! :D

writerterri
02-11-2007, 01:14 AM
It's so beautiful!

You'll need something wash-n-ware when the baby comes. Maybe take off a few inches and frame some hair around your face. That'll be cute.

writerterri
02-11-2007, 01:16 AM
You did it! I'm too late.

It fits you! I like it and it's easy. You're brave. I'm too chicken to do it.

Deadbeat 007
02-11-2007, 01:16 AM
I made the mistake of getting a boy cut. It was cute, but now I won't be able to wear my hair down until summer (growing it out sucks).

If you want to cut it, keep it below the shoulders. It's so pretty, and so are you.

Deadbeat 007
02-11-2007, 01:17 AM
Nevermind, you already cut it. It really does look nice -- lucky!

smallthunder
02-11-2007, 02:43 AM
Looks like I'm also too late to weigh in on the cut, but that's OK -- because you chose wisely, Grasshopper ...

In other words, the cut looks great on you! So cute! People will be arguing about who is cuter, you or your newborn!

;)

I'm glad you gave your hair to Locks of Love. I basically grow my hair just long enough to donate to them, have it cut off, and start again. It's a great cause/charity.

BTW: I had a "pixie" cut all through childhood and early teenage years -- on more than one occassion, I was stopped as I was about to enter the Ladies' Room to be re-directed ... I didn't mind, though, since I was very much a tomboy with a good sense of humor.

Plus, there never was a line in the Men's Room!

(heh-heh)