The First Rejection and Far From the Last

Status
Not open for further replies.

piano_island

Registered
Reaction score
So I got my first rejection last week. I'm less than heartbroken. I guess that I conditioned myself to rejection prior to being rejected which is better than being amped over being accepted only to be disappointed. Perhaps, I'll be really surprised when I actually do get an agent.

This being my first rejection, I can't help wondering whether or not they hated my book since said agent won't represent anything they don't love. I think that I just need to delete the rejection and stop reading between the lines!

It's hard not to read between the lines when they said:

"After a careful reading, we are sorry to say that we don't believe that we
are the right agency for you.

You deserve an enthusiastic representative, so we recommend that you pursue other agents. After all, it just takes one "yes" and with so many different opinions out there, you could easily find the right match.

Good luck with all your publishing endeavors."

In any case, I queried more agents like any sane? writer would do upon being rejected.

Susan B

Accordion Dreams
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.blairkilpatrick.com
Congratulations for plunging in! It's the first step on a path everyone has to travel on the way to publication. I wouldn't read anything into that particular rejection, by the way. It is very close to a form letter--kind of makes me laugh, because I've received a number that sound exactly the same. Sometimes I imagine there must be some parallel universe for agents--books and websites offering them sample "tactful" rejection letters, just like we pore over "model" query letters. But it really is true--you only need one. (I eventually found one and I hope you will too!)

Good luck!

Susan

giftedrhonda

Gifted Goofball
Registered
Reaction score
I have a stack of them, too (and I just got an agent on Wednesday). Take heart--it's a form rejection. Most writers will get those. Hang in there, and send it out to another agent, STAT! :D

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Don't let yourself dwell. Have a few stiff drinks (if you're legal) or chocolates, if you're underage. That's a form letter, word for word - don't take it personally.

Submit, rinse, repeat and get working on the next WIP ! :)

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Last week I was trying to stuff a rejection in a file...I say trying because the drawer was too dang full of rejections for me to cram it in. *sigh*

Welcome to AW.

And you are now officially a writer. You're not a writer unless you submit (in my opinion.) Now you're one of us. :D

engmajor2005

Registered
Reaction score
Ah, the famous "It's not you, it's us" line.

You'll get a hundred of those.

Keep plugging at it, and eventually you won't get one of those but one of these.

"I'd love to represent your novel."

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's ok Piano, keep trying.
hugs kimmi

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Don't be disheartened, you've only just begun. Good luck to you!

piano_island

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I got another request for a partial from one of the agents I queried last Thursday. This only confirms one thing: My synopsis is on point.

Thanks for all the encouragment!

Status
Not open for further replies.