PDA

View Full Version : A different suggestion in a rejection

billyf027
02-09-2007, 02:56 PM
I recently recieved a personel rejection which contained a unique suggestion. One I never considered before. The editor said that my story has great stuff going, a very real story with an immense ideal that is weighing you down. It could very easily be turned into a novel with the immensity and depth that you sing out.

I never thought of making it into a novel but now may consider doing that.
Something I should consider at the least based on the recommendation.

Saundra Julian
02-09-2007, 05:04 PM
WOW, I would definitely think about doing that!
So was it a short or an article ot what?

giftedrhonda
02-09-2007, 05:17 PM
Absolutely consider it...weigh your options and see if that would work. You can always save your original if you don't like how it goes...

billyf027
02-09-2007, 08:47 PM
WOW, I would definitely think about doing that!
So was it a short or an article ot what?

It is a three-thousand word short story. Its also under consideration by some other literary journals.

billyf027
02-10-2007, 02:55 PM
Then I think maybe the editor just said this to nullify the pain of a rejection after all he did reject the piece. I am an optimistic pessimist. I'm positive something bad is going to happen all the time.

Not sure about trying to turn it into a novel.

janetbellinger
02-10-2007, 04:48 PM
No editor would bother telling you to turn it into a novel just to make you feel better. I would definitely follow his suggestion if it was me.

Celia Cyanide
02-14-2007, 06:07 PM
Janet is right. It sounds like the editor is telling you, hey, this doesn't work as a short story, but it would work as a novel. Good luck in expanding it!

CaroGirl
02-14-2007, 06:24 PM
Wow, feedback that might actually be useful. What a concept. If it were me, I'd try turning it into a novel. Good luck whatever you decide!

johnzakour
02-14-2007, 07:49 PM
As rejections go that's certainly one of the lighter ones. Of course, it's easy to say "turn it into a novel" but much harder to execute. It's kind of like telling a sprinter, "well you finished fourth, but if the race was another a couple of miles longer you may have done better."

I have totally different mind sets for writing novels and short stories.

Still, if you can pull it off, great.