PDA

View Full Version : Women: Do you need your purse?

Dario D.
02-09-2007, 01:27 PM
I have a question for the ladies. I was just wondering if you NEED your purse, or if you could live without it. I'm thinking of having a female character who doesn't use a purse, but first I need to see if that's reasonable.

In my younger years, I always thought women certainly didn't NEED a purse, until the day I realized that pads/tampons were carried in them. So, I'm also curious to know if you would have some other way to transport those while you were on the go (assuming, of course, that they are as important as I think they are).

So, let me sum it up as simply as possible:
1) Do you NEED your purse? (for whatever reasons)
2) Do you NEED access to menstrual gear when you're on the go?

Thanks for the help. Any input is appreciated :)

aruna
02-09-2007, 02:46 PM
1) By purse, I assume you mean handbag? In the UK purse means the little thing you keep your money in. Anyway, the answer is mostly no, or it depends. If I have stuff to carry, Ill take a handbag. If I only need to go shopping, I'll take a purse and put it in my coat pocket. I don't like having things in my nand. If I have tro go somewhere where I need "stuff" I'll take a shoulder bag so I can forget about it. Basically, I like to have as little baggage as possible.

2) No.

Sandi LeFaucheur
02-09-2007, 03:03 PM
Yup. I don't know how men survive without one. Aside of the pads, there's a mirror, comb, two lipsticks, umbrella, wallet, tissues, pass for work, sundry bits of paper (payslips, notes, etc), pen, two bottles of painkillers (for different types of headache), diary, chequebook, sunglasses... Not to mention, when I buy a small item, I pop that in there, too.

How do men put all that stuff in their pockets?

alleycat
02-09-2007, 03:15 PM
How do men put all that stuff in their pockets?
Uh, we don't carry all that stuff.

Let's see . . . I have keys, a wallet, a little change, a pocket knife, and (because it's winter) a tube of lip balm. Also, I have a Day-Timer with a calendar, checkbook, and address book which I carry in my coat pocket.

That's pretty much it for me.

Willowmound
02-09-2007, 03:21 PM
Being not a woman, but rather a man with common sense, I can tell you that among the more than three billion women in the world, thousands upon thousands don't use a purse. Probably millions. I'm sure some of them would live wherever your character lives.

Mandy-Jane
02-09-2007, 03:33 PM
In Australia, purse also means the thing you carry your money in, so like Aruna, I'm guessing you mean handbag. For me, the answer is no. I have one - in fact, I have four - but I rarely use them. When I'm out, I carry in my hand, my purse (money), my keys, and my mobile phone. My phone and keys can also fit in my jeans pocket (along with anything else I might be needing at the time). So no. I don't need it. I usually only carry it if I'm trying to look impressive!

PastMidnight
02-09-2007, 03:47 PM
I don't. I have change in one pocket, a pen and keys in the other, and any cards that I might need for the day (debit card, library card, etc.) in my back pocket. I used to just carry a purse (wallet), but had it stolen recently and haven't wanted to replace it.

Marlys
02-09-2007, 04:42 PM
I only carry a handbag if I need access to larger things that won't fit in my pockets (day book, check book, a paperback if I know I'll be stuck somewhere for awhile). Everything else--including a spare tampon or two--fits in my pockets. No wallet, either, just a little flat plastic holder for my credit cards/driver's license.

A handbag is almost never necessary in the winter, because coat pockets can hold so much.

Novelust
02-09-2007, 04:52 PM
Many women don't carry purses; I used to stick to the pockets of my coat.

As for the pads/tampons - keep in mind that, at most, a woman needs those around for a week out of the month, sometimes less (depending on the length of a person's individual period), and the vast majority of us are on a regular schedule, so we know when we need to carry them. A pad or a tampon will be good for a least a couple of hours, and it's not uncommon to keep backups at work or in the car, so even then the woman might not need/want to carry a purse.

MajorDrums
02-09-2007, 05:18 PM
I would feel naked without my purse (or handbag), but purses are my "thing."

It probably depends on what type of lifestyle your female character has; I don't carry a lot of stuff with me, so I often carry a small or medium-sized purse. Some women carry everything but the kitchen sink in their purses, so those women opt for totes, sometimes even carrying more than one purse with them. Some use their purses for business files, diapers, school books...etc.

giftedrhonda
02-09-2007, 05:19 PM
Luckily, I don't need it for feminine stuff (plumbing was removed-LOL), but I do use my purse (handbag) to store my car keys, chapstick, wallet (with checkbook, credit/debit cards), etc.

If I'm going somewhere where I don't need a check, I can totally do without my purse. I can carry that stuff in my pocket.

Solatium
02-09-2007, 05:28 PM
Just another perspective here: I hate purses -- can't stand a) having one hand constantly occupied or b) having to hunch my shoulder to keep the strap from sliding off. But I do carry a ton of stuff with me by wearing skirts with capacious pockets. Right now I have my wallet and cell phone in one pocket and my cigarettes, lighter and pill box in the other. I could without undue difficulty add a pen, a couple of tampons, a candy bar or two, and a paperback book. And when you consider my coat pockets . . .

Well, you get the idea. It makes me look even hippier than I am, but at least my hands are free.

Oh, and as for your second question: even if most public restrooms have machines, I prefer to carry my own. There's always the risk they'll be out of tampons (I don't use pads) or it'll be an ancient machine that only takes dimes -- on the one day when all I have is quarters. This is one area in which I do not want to be forced to improvise.

My main concern when carrying tampons is that they'll push partway out of the applicator while still in the wrapper, rendering them more difficult and uncomfortable to insert. Tampax Compak is the only applicator tampon I know that completely avoids this problem.

Many women carry pads (also lipstick, Kleenex, or even money for emergencies) between their breasts. This works best with a sports bra; a less substantial undergarment, or a greater gap between the breasts, makes the object more likely to fall out.

</more than you ever wanted to know>

stormie
02-09-2007, 05:44 PM
I hate carrying pocketbooks, but find that women's coats or jackets don't have enough pockets, and many without inside pockets, so sometimes I have to carry one. It's a pain.

I found these little wristlets that I like. They're small purses on a short loop that a woman can wear on her wrist. They don't carry much, but I like them better. Here's a link (http://www.coach.com/content/thumbnail.aspx?category_id=240)

I always carry my driver's license, charge card, cash, tissues, comb, small container of lipstick or gloss, small mirror, and a penny for good luck (old habit!)

C.bronco
02-09-2007, 05:50 PM
1. Yes. Absolutely. Not only do I carry my bulky keys, wallet, coins, etc., I also have to carry things for my son: his chapstick, tissues, a juice box etc. When I'm out with my husband, I end up carrying what he can't put in his pockets. I'm just glad I don't have to carry a diaper bag and a purse anymore. My right shoulder (sprained twice) is also glad.
2. LOL! No. Never. I only menstruate while at home. (?!)

An aside: I'm not a shoe person, nor do I have expensive clothes, or, necessarily, clothes that aren't in some stage of falling apart, but I'm a sucker for a good Dooney & Bourke bag. Luckily, they last a long time, so I can get away with buying one every four years.

scarletpeaches
02-09-2007, 05:51 PM
1) Do I carry a handbag? Only if my coat doesn't have big enough pockets for my purse, compact foundation, keys and mobile phone. At the moment due to the cold weather, I wear my leather jacket when I go out and those pockets hold everything.

2) Do I need access to menstrual 'gear' when I go out? Well, no; I wear what I need but if I wanted to carry 'spares' - tampons fit in pockets too.

thethinker42
02-09-2007, 05:52 PM

Have never carried one. I keep my wallet, keys and cell phone in my pockets. I just don't see the need.

For me, YES. But it's not like it takes up much space. I just keep one in the inside pocket of my jacket or in my glove compartment.

thethinker42
02-09-2007, 05:53 PM
the vast majority of us are on a regular schedule, so we know when we need to carry them.

Oh, rub it in, rub it in...LOL

Ol' Fashioned Girl
02-09-2007, 05:56 PM
If I can possibly get out of the house without a purse, I will do so... and there aren't many days I can't manage to ditch the bag. Hate 'em. Hate. Hate. Hate. It's just one more thing to keep track of - and anyone who's misplaced one or had it stolen, knows that awful feeling in the pit of one's stomach when the dawning realization hits that 'it's gone!'. I want to avoid that feeling at all costs.

latoya
02-09-2007, 06:14 PM
Yes, I need my purse. I have to have it. There's just too much to carry not to have it. The only time I don't have my purse is when I go out to a club, and then I only have my ID, lip gloss, and cell phone.

Yes, I need access to menstrual gear, mostly because of Murphy's Law, lol

It's totally possible to have a female character that doesn't need a purse, but her character will dictate that.

Marlys
02-09-2007, 06:15 PM
My main concern when carrying tampons is that they'll push partway out of the applicator while still in the wrapper, rendering them more difficult and uncomfortable to insert. Tampax Compak is the only applicator tampon I know that completely avoids this problem.

That's why non-applicator tampons (o.b. in the U.S., Lillets in the U.K.--don't know about the rest of the world) are so handy. If I'm going to be out for a whole day, it's easy to carry 3 or 4 in the pocket of my jeans. Plus, of course, they work so much better, I'm amazed that Tampax is even still in business.

scarletpeaches
02-09-2007, 06:32 PM
I've never used an applicator tampon. I mean, how are you supposed to use an applicator? Something still has to go inside you, so you may as well make it the tampon itself (lillets are great; discreet and they work).

Are they for women who don't like to touch their own bodily parts?

I know, weird question, but I've never used 'em so I'm mystified as to how an applicator would help...

wordsmyth
02-09-2007, 06:40 PM
I tend to carry a wallet. Men friends laugh when they see me pull my trifold out of my back right pocket. I despise carrying a purse. The tampon brand I use is as small as a tube of lipbalm, so when I need them, I have one in my front pocket of my jeans.

If I need my checkbook, I take it with me and store it in my coat pocket. I have a wool trench coat for winter, and an oversized denim jacket for summer.

spike
02-09-2007, 06:48 PM
I really don't know how men survive without a handbag. But I usually don't carry it. I take what I need and lock it in my desk at work or in the trunk of my car.

I don't like stuff in my pockets. Always looks weird.

Kate Thornton
02-09-2007, 06:50 PM
I had to carry a handbag in the Army - for women, officers or not, it's part of the uniform. I carried a plain black regulation shoulderbag - Coach was the contractor, so it was a fine leather bag.

I am used to it - in addition to wallet, checkbook, keys, comb & beauty stuff, important papers, money, sunglasses, reading glasses (replaces tampons at a certain age) tissues and bandaids, it's also a handy spot for my CCW & gun.

I never leave home without it.

Solatium
02-09-2007, 06:57 PM
I've never used an applicator tampon. I mean, how are you supposed to use an applicator? Something still has to go inside you, so you may as well make it the tampon itself (lillets are great; discreet and they work).

I know, weird question, but I've never used 'em so I'm mystified as to how an applicator would help...

For me, it's a matter of 1) better aim and 2) not getting blood under my fingernails.

veinglory
02-09-2007, 07:00 PM
1) what purse?
2) that's what pockets are for.

DeadlyAccurate
02-09-2007, 07:07 PM
From the time I was 18 until just last year (age 32) I carried nothing but a wallet/keychain. Never a purse. Last year I finally decided to get a backpack purse. It still only holds my wallet, keys, a pack of gum, and some lip gloss (and the little portable umbrella that came with it.)

AnnieColleen
02-09-2007, 07:14 PM
Couple of things in my purse that haven't been mentioned: allergy supplies (decongestant, handkerchief (if I don't have pockets that day)), and a small notebook and pen. I can get the essentials into pockets if I need to, but I'd rather not worry about it.

Marlys
02-09-2007, 07:25 PM
For me, it's a matter of 1) better aim and 2) not getting blood under my fingernails.Interesting perspective. In nearly 30 years of using o.b., I've never had a problem with either. But I assume one is going to wash one's hands afterward, no matter which method is used. Also, applicators are straight, and the female body is curved, so I find placement much easier without an applicator.

Mileage varies, I suppose.

Solatium
02-09-2007, 07:32 PM
Interesting perspective. In nearly 30 years of using o.b., I've never had a problem with either. But I assume one is going to wash one's hands afterward, no matter which method is used. Also, applicators are straight, and the female body is curved, so I find placement much easier without an applicator.

Mileage varies, I suppose.

Your second point is a matter I hadn't considered. But -- I can wash and wash, scrub with a nail brush and everything, and my fingernails are still ringed with red. That's my mileage varying on me, I suppose. Glad you're having a better time of it.

veinglory
02-09-2007, 07:37 PM
On pads/tampons. You need them a few days a month, many people have pockets, many more use backpacks, breifcases or wear boots (yes, when I have no pockets I put them in my boots) or keep a store in their office or car. You need 2-3 a day at most and some people can go all day at work without a new one. If you are going camping or something the pill can be used to skip a period.

katiemac
02-09-2007, 07:53 PM
I think one of the main reasons women carry purses is because of the clothes they wear. Most pants are too restrictive in the pocket area to allow room for a wallet. They're designed smaller than men's pockets. If it's cool enough outside to wear a jacket, I'll forgo the purse and use my coat pockets. Otherwise, jeans pockets are too small.

Mine's very small, though, large enough for wallets and keys. I don't get the recent phenomenon of women carrying purses larger than they are.

Sweetlebee
02-09-2007, 08:05 PM
I've carried a purse my whole life and went purse-free two years ago. I hadn't intended to though. I had been looking for a new one and I didn't want to spend all that money on something I only sort of liked, but I finally gave up on the search. I decided to get a small wallet that fits in my back pocket (I wear jeans all the time). It was only temporary, until I found a nice purse.

But now I love the freedom! Nothing hanging on me anymore. Not having to constantly pull up a slipping shoulder strap. Not having to worry about leaving it behind in a restaurant or having it stolen. Not having to dig into it to find my wallet.

I keep my keys and a lip gloss in my pocket. Anything else I need, I keep in the car.

WriterInChains
02-09-2007, 08:33 PM
I never carried a purse until after I had my daughter & it never presented any big problems. Pockets & saddlebags hold everything you need. I got used to having a ton of stuff with me when I had to carry the diaper bag. :)

The biggest bonus about using a purse now -- I can bring a larger notebook AND a book wherever I go. Otherwise, I have a little leather holder for my i.d. & debit card & I use that in my jacket pocket in the winter, when a purse would just be in my way. In the summer, I carry a leather bag about the size of two decks of cards -- it sits on my hip (long strap :)) and doesn't give me any trouble, even when I'm jostling with teenagers for a spot near the stage at a show. Can't live for even a few hours without a notebook now, because that's when I'll get an idea. :)

MidnightMuse
02-09-2007, 08:42 PM
I hate to carry a purse if I don't have to. The only time I do is when I think I'll need my checkbook. Otherwise I'll slip this little wallet into my pocket (if I'm wearing a jacket), slip the cell phone into another pocket, and my car keys always fit in my jeans pocket. I almost never need the checkbook, and tend to forget to bring my glasses - so I go without a purse as often as possible.

As far as womanly needs - a schedule serves me well.

ink wench
02-09-2007, 08:43 PM
I despise keeping things in my pockets for several reaons: it's so uncomfortable, I've lost too many items that way, pockets can't hold my notebook and pen, and I tend to forget which pockets have everything in them so it takes forever to get out the door. Besides, most of my business pants and skirts don't have pockets, so it doesn't matter. A purse/handbag also comes in very handy when shopping. I never take a store's plastic bag unless I have no choice, much preferring to shove stuff in my reusable, environmentally-friendly purse. I don't need a big one, just large enough to hold a wallet, very full keychain, sunglasses, chapstick, cell phone, mini-notebook and pen, and any specifically needed items (tampons, etc.). You can stuff a lot in a small handbag. :)

sdarb
02-09-2007, 09:29 PM
Need my purse? That's like asking if I need my arms!! I rarely go ANYWHERE without my purse. And, I'm post menopausal, so it has nothing to do with needing a place for sanitary items. I have everything I need for a week of survival in my purse, including overdue bills, about 10 pounds of change and my special emergency medicine :)

However, my question would be: why is the purse or no purse essential to the character?

Chumplet
02-09-2007, 09:54 PM
I don't WANT to depend on a purse, but yes, I NEED one. Pockets are out - I don't want a bunch of little lumps all over my body indicating where my wallet, tampons, lipstick, sunglasses and business cards are. I don't always wear the same coat, so I'll keep forgetting stuff.

Always be prepared, that's me. I have a digital camera, coupons, cash, credit cards, reward cards, loose change (damn loonies and twoonies), Imodium (nothing matches getting those special cramps in the middle of the mall) business cards, comb, lipstick, powder to take the shine off my freakin' beacon on my face, sunglasses, keys, cell phone. If they're not all in one place, I sure miss 'em when I don't got 'em.

I found the perfect purse - small, black leather with a special pocket for each item including the cell phone. The only problem is my sloping shoulders. I wish I could insert a small screw on each shoulder so the blasted thing doesn't keep slipping off.

K1P1
02-09-2007, 09:55 PM
Very very interesting responses. Only two women in the whole group indicated they carried makeup with them. I admit, I skimmed, so I may have missed someone along the way.

For years, I carried a wallet in my hip pocket, keys and change in my front pocket. Then I developed asthma and allergies and had to carry medication, an inhaler and tissues. Then I became more established and had membership cards, licenses, staff ids, credit cards (two for two different businesses and one for personal), atm cards (one for business and one for personal, insurance cards,etc. and needed a bigger wallet, so it wouldn't fit into my pocket any more. And now I sometimes need to carry two checkbooks (one for business and one for personal), and medication for my kids, and the palm pilot (my date book) and the cell phone.

In the winter, these would all fit in the pockets of my big coat, but the other three seasons of the year I just don't have enough pockets. I also find that if I keep everything organized, in the same place all the time in my bag, I can actually find it.

ETA: I also carry a very small folding umbrella in my purse.

Jenan Mac
02-09-2007, 10:07 PM
I really don't know how men survive without a handbag.

Oh, I do! They get married and coerce their wives into carrying all their junk.

Azure Skye
02-09-2007, 10:15 PM
I have a question for the ladies. I was just wondering if you NEED your purse, or if you could live without it. I'm thinking of having a female character who doesn't use a purse, but first I need to see if that's reasonable.

In my younger years, I always thought women certainly didn't NEED a purse, until the day I realized that pads/tampons were carried in them. So, I'm also curious to know if you would have some other way to transport those while you were on the go (assuming, of course, that they are as important as I think they are).

So, let me sum it up as simply as possible:

1. No, not really. There are a few things I need to carry with me: chapstick and hand lotion. Both are a must. Money, I can slip into my pocket and to an extent the other things as well, although I'll have a bulge on my butt.

2. Yes, but they package those products nowadays so you can slip them discreetly into your pocket, if you want, which I usually do; however, if I'm going to be gone all day, I take the purse. Time is a factor either way. If I'm going to be gone only a few hours, leave the purse at home. If I'm going to be gone all day, take purse.

Rosie_81
02-09-2007, 10:16 PM
I can take or leave a bag myself. If I'm going to work then I take it but if I'm just nipping out for some shopping a just put my purse in my pocket. I end up just carrying a lot of junk in my bag.

As for carrying tampons/pads, I don't need to. I use the mooncup! :D

The_Grand_Duchess
02-09-2007, 10:21 PM
It all depends on whether or not the woman is used to carrying one at all. If she never carries one and keeps everything she needs in her pockets then no, she doesn't need one. If she is accustomed to having one with her at all times then yes she would need on when she goes out.

pamelajo
02-09-2007, 10:51 PM
I never go anywhere without my purse. The larger the purse the better. Gotta have my notebook, wallet, phone, and of course all the menstrual accoutrements...chocolate and ibuprofen.

Pagey's_Girl
02-09-2007, 10:53 PM
I'll go without mine if the situation calls for it, but normally I do carry one. And at one point or another, I really have needed everything I have in it, despite what several of my ex-boyfriends thought. Even the mini lint roller. :)

Edit - in high school, a large purse was essential for smuggling the Walkman I wasn't supposed to have with me into the building, along with about a gazillion tapes.

KCathy
02-09-2007, 10:57 PM
I hated carrying a purse because I kept leaving it in bathrooms and locking it in the car with my keys. Also, I prefer to be unencumbered, which is why I used to be able to fly overseas with just a backpack to avoid dealing with baggage claims. Back to the purse question, though. I ended up with keys and a lipstick in one pocket, powder in my desk and car, and a wallet in a hip pocket.

Then I had babies. Now I carry a purse with diapers and wipes in it as well as the aforementioned. But purseless is definitely my preference!

KCathy
02-09-2007, 10:58 PM
in high school, a large purse was essential for smuggling the Walkman

Oh, I forgot that I always bring a purse to the theater because I'm too cheap to pay for movie food and like to smuggle in sodas and candy!

scarletpeaches
02-09-2007, 11:10 PM
I keep my nails short for two reasons:

1) Makes it easier to type without my nails hitting the key in the row above the one I'm aiming for.

2) You don't have to worrying about getting blood under your fingernails. 'Sides, I always wash my hands after seeing to my ladies' grumpytime insertions anyway. :D

Dawno
02-09-2007, 11:11 PM
I've carried purses for 38 years.

The kinds of work I've done required me to dress-up in suits to "impress the client with my professionalism" and most women's suits don't have the pockets for essentials (wallet, comb, etc.)

Even when they do, the line of the suit would be ruined by the bulges. I carry a large tote type bag that I can put my computer and portfolio in for running to meetings and the "wallet" I carry in it is a mini-purse with a shoulder strap. I can lock the tote in my desk and just carry the mini-purse if I'm going to lunch, but the rest of the time it's easier for me to carry my stuff in the tote.

I probably have dozens of purses - most of which I don't use anymore, bought them to go with the style of my wardrobe at the time. One of these days I'll have to fill a box for the Salvation Army.

I also have a purse that is older than I am, from my grandmother, and one that was my mom's, I think is around 30 years old. They knew how to make 'em back then.

batgirl
02-09-2007, 11:28 PM
I've used a backpack since my student days. It has my wallet, pens, notebook, whatever book I'm reading at the time, pads if necessary, and whatever my husband or son doesn't want to carry when we're out together.
I just swapped over to a sling-bag and am pretty happy with it. Even though I usually wear men's trousers and jackets, I haven't found the pockets to be capacious enough for books and notebooks. The pockets on women's clothes are smaller, sometimes only decorative.
As a child I was always amazed at how grown women were able to keep their arms crooked all the time to keep their handbags in place. I was sure my arm would get tired after only an hour or so.
-Barbara

Solatium
02-09-2007, 11:29 PM
I frickin' bite my nails -- and wash my hands almost compulsively. Doesn't do me any good -- my li'l shovels are still dirtier than any of the Neglected Manicure Goddesses'. It's probably 'cause I've got bad karma. (And if I don't let this go gracefully, I'll probably end up with a lot more. So if I post in this thread again -- please feel free to slap some virtual duct tape over my virtual mouth :Ssh:)

sassandgroove
02-09-2007, 11:38 PM
My Mom doesn't carry a purse. But she has to make sure her pants have pockets. She doesn't wear jeans. A surprising number of women's pants don't have pockets, I suppose because we carry purses. I don't know about her menstral needs. I suppose she carries one in her pocket.

To contrast, I carry a large bag, complete with Ibuprophen, Tylonal, Gas-X, Sinus meds, chapstick, band aids, wipes, purell, etc, a legal pad, a wallet, check book, and various magazines/books, pens and spare keys and I am sure more stuff....business cards, gum, cough drops... (Man! I need to clean out my bag.) Those hand wipes fromBuffalo wild wings, stain remover. Change. lint. bills. Calculator. CELLPHONE.

I use a keeper (http://www.keeper.com/), so I don't carry that stuff. Hope that helps.

wordsmyth
02-09-2007, 11:49 PM
Very very interesting responses. Only two women in the whole group indicated they carried makeup with them. I admit, I skimmed, so I may have missed someone along the way.

The only makeup I carry with me is lipbalm. And I don't ever wear much makeup in the first place. It makes my skin break out. :(

Chumplet
02-09-2007, 11:49 PM
I use a keeper (http://www.keeper.com/), so I don't carry that stuff. Hope that helps.
Wow! I learned something new today. They look a little freaky.

veinglory
02-10-2007, 12:01 AM
The only makeup I carry with me is lipbalm. And I don't ever wear much makeup in the first place. It makes my skin break out. :(

I don't wear any. Depending on where you set your story make-up may or may not be the norm.

sassandgroove
02-10-2007, 12:20 AM
Wow! I learned something new today. They look a little freaky.
One of the best things I ever bought. I googled tampon one day when I was just sick and tired of have chafed skin. It is so much better liberating. i could go on. My hubby likes it too, he never gets sent to the store to buy women things.

Soccer Mom
02-10-2007, 01:18 AM
I carry not one, but two purses. I have an enormous tote bag with everything I could possibly need. It's long enough to hold a legal pad. I also carry a much smaller purse with the basics. If I leave the office for lunch, I'll just grab the little purse. When I go places with my dogs or to the soccer fields, I use a fanny pack to keep my hands free.

Raiyah
02-10-2007, 01:53 AM
Are you kidding? I'd go crazy without a purse!!!! If I didn't have a purse where would I put my wallet, cellphone, makeup, mints, pictures, notepad, pens, hair accessories, and water bottle. I mean, these are all really important things.

But seriously, I need my purse as a part of my wardrobe. It's like walking out of the house without your shoes or something.

Also, I'm not weird so I don't carry my tampons and stuff wherever I go, if it's around that time of month, then yes.

veinglory
02-10-2007, 01:56 AM
When I lived in NZ I often went to work barefoot. When I moved to the US I found they won't even let you into a supermarket without shoes in case you sue them for injuries.

[/digression]

thethinker42
02-10-2007, 02:06 AM
2) You don't have to worrying about getting blood under your fingernails. 'Sides, I always wash my hands after seeing to my ladies' grumpytime insertions anyway. :D

For some reason, this particular line of conversation actually makes me glad I can't use tampons...LOL

Raiyah
02-10-2007, 02:06 AM
Oh, I do! They get married and coerce their wives into carrying all their junk.

Oh my God! Seriously whenever me and my husband go out anywhere he stops me and first hands me the car key, his wallet, his cell phone, sometimes even lip balm. Seriously, gucci bags aren't meant to be used in such a way!!!

WildScribe
02-10-2007, 02:13 AM
I have a large purse that I use primarily for carrying books, magazines, and my laptop as well as a legal pad of paper and a pen. Mostly when I got out I just carry my wallet in a coat pocket. It has every card I could possibly need. Cash goes in the pants pockets with the chapstick, and I have tampons in the car in case of emergency (although I won't need those for a while!!)

ETA: I forgot to mention that I am forgetful and likely to leave my purse... somewhere. Since I can get away without it, I usually do. When I do need it, the laptop's presence (the only reason I ever need my purse) keeps me stressed enough to keep it close to hand.

Sandi LeFaucheur
02-10-2007, 02:17 AM
Those who carry everything in their pockets...how do you remember to take everything out, put it in the next outfit, etc.? Whereas if you have everything in a handbag, you just pick it up and go. I was brought up to never put anything in your pockets (except maybe a tissue) because it spoils the line of the garment.

thethinker42
02-10-2007, 02:34 AM
Those who carry everything in their pockets...how do you remember to take everything out, put it in the next outfit, etc.? Whereas if you have everything in a handbag, you just pick it up and go. I was brought up to never put anything in your pockets (except maybe a tissue) because it spoils the line of the garment.

Usually they're in my jacket pockets, and I wear the same jacket 99% of the time. During the summer, they're in the pockets of my shorts, and I always take them out and put them on my night table when I'm changing clothes. I can't go anywhere without my keys, so my cell phone and wallet sit next to my keys. I usually do a last second "do I have everything?" before I leave the house. It's really just such an ingrained habit that remembering to take them is like remembering to brush my teeth or put my shoes on.

I always keep my "female" products in my car anyway, just in case I forget to put them in my pocket. I MUST have them all the time, because I'm not on any kind of schedule (grrrr....), but usually, by the time I need them, I'm in so much pain that I don't leave the house anyway, so it becomes a moot point. LOL

wordsmyth
02-10-2007, 02:39 AM

It's become habit to clean out my pockets. I have even trained the kids to clean out their pants pockets, by telling them any money found in the dryer is mine. :e2tongue:

As for spoiling the line of the garment, my typical daily uniform is a camisole style tanktop, t-shirt (usually black), a button down shirt or sweater if it's chilly, a pair of loose fit Levi's jeans and cowboy boots (brown). I have long dark hair with many white streaks, pulled back from my face with a barrette, and a pair of beat up Nicole Miller half frame glasses. I'm a work at home mother of four, so I don't spend a lot of time or money on my appearance.

Now, if I'm going out, that's another story. I take full advantage of dressing up, doing a little bit of makeup, and carrying my Coach purse I purchased for $2 dollars at a thrift store. :D

veinglory
02-10-2007, 02:42 AM
Pocket use is pretty simple. I carry very little. I wear mainly jeans tight enough that any line thay have is mine not theirs. I empty the pocket and put contents on the bathroom unit before removing them to avoid having them fall out during undressing and roll under something or stay in there and end up in the washung machine. In the morning I dress in the same place so it is all right there.

sassandgroove
02-10-2007, 02:46 AM

Mr. Groove (my husband for those who don't know me....) takes his stuff out of his pockets as soon as he walks in the door. He has a drawer in the foyer table with all his pocket stuff. I don't have the presence of mind to do this for some reason.

ETA: My dad does the same thing. I keep finding similarities between the two men. ;)

startwearingpurple
02-10-2007, 03:05 AM
I need one beacuse womans clothes tend not to cater for everything i need to carry (mobile phone, keys, tampons ect., wallet, mp3 player, sketchpad, pencils, lipbalm/gloss, tissues, inhalers, the list goes on) beacuse womans jeans and pants have smaller pockets-skirts and dresses none at all. so ya i need a bag for everything i need to get through a day.

Jenan Mac
02-10-2007, 06:16 AM
I was brought up to never put anything in your pockets (except maybe a tissue) because it spoils the line of the garment.

I live in jeans and a Smith College sweatshirt. Spoiling the lines of the garment is not so much an issue.:D

The_Grand_Duchess
02-10-2007, 06:46 AM
My purse is actully a red laptop bag from IKEA. I like to carry notebooks, pens, lip balm, a book, my wallet, keys and anything else I think I may need. My boyfriend asks me if I need it whenever we leave the house. I do. I also have children but I don't let thier crap invade my bag. They have thier own.

When I was in college I carried no purse and kept my id, atm, and card key in my back pocket. My chapstick in my front pocket, pens in my hair. The cards actully took the curve of my butt. I can't decide if that's sexy or just TMI.

Dario D.
02-10-2007, 09:44 AM
Thank you very much for the replies, all :)

3 pages already... wow! I just posted this last night. With all this insight, I could write the purse/handbag encyclopedia :D

---

For those who have asked, the character I'm working on is very self-perfectionist, and has many thought-out reformist qualities (such as not eating fast food, exercising every day, not carrying a purse, studying how to raise a family long before she has one, not using makeup, waiting until she's found the perfect man before getting involved, etc). It's just part of her character to be very critical and analytical of every aspect of life, and have a deliberate reason and point of view for everything she does.

---

Well, thanks for the invaluable insight and for taking the time to post. I also learned a lot about the intricacies of women's day-to-day lives from reading through this thread (I see that many purse/handbag items tell a story of what women think about life or themselves... like carrying chocolates, or a mirror; two things that took me by surprise, though I understand them both). So, thanks again, all. :) It's been quite the learning experience.

Aesposito
02-10-2007, 07:53 PM
If you have room for one more opinion.....

I don't carry a purse. I tend to throw my drivers license, spare change, key and cellphone in my pockets before going anywhere, and I'm one of those women who always makes sure the pants and coats she buys has pockets.

When I desperately need to use a checkbook or credit card, I grab my Daytimer, which has all that stuff in it.

I carried a purse when my kids were younger. Made it easier to tote tissues, half-eaten lollipops, etc. But now it's just another thing to lose or leave behind.

As for tampons, I keep a supply at work. Maybe it's just me, but although I'm not regular, I've always known when my period is coming due to changes in boobs, zits, tummy, etc..... so I've never felt a need to stockpile any in my purse or car.

Audrey

ideagirl
02-11-2007, 12:28 AM
I carry my handbag at all times. Its utility in transporting maxi pads is of minimal relevance; probably 90% of the time I have no "menstrual gear" in the handbag. I have money/cards, makeup, a little notebook, my cell phone, very often a book I'm reading and/or my day planner, and approximately forty pens and highlighters in various colors. And cough drops, and keys, and gum, and whatever little items I may have purchased during the day (or the previous day but I forgot to take them out), and a tiny light used for reading books in the dark, and some recent mail, and my iPod, and mystical healing crystals, and god knows what else.

So obviously, since you're getting different responses here, the choice is up to you as to whether your character carries hers. Remember, though, she may have a pseudo-handbag: students carry backpacks or some other bag, so women students may just throw all the normal purse items into that; mothers lug around diaper bags, and sometimes all their purse stuff goes into the pockets of it. Also, some women--those who are on the go a lot, driving different places several times a day--may use their cars as purses. I mean, all their stuff--lipstick, hairbrushes, a couple of books she's currently reading, cell phone, day planner, etc. etc.--may just be tossed in the car.

Stephanie_Gunn
02-12-2007, 04:28 PM
I can't live without my handbag. I need my purse, mp3 player, mobile phone and a book. Can you tell I catch public transport everywhere and need entertainment?

As for tampons and pads...heh, Divacup all the way :)

tela
02-12-2007, 05:55 PM
Need? 90% of the time I could get along fine with out one. But why would I do that? I love my handbag/purse/pocketbook. I have a closet full of thema nd change my handbag to match my outfit. It hold my keys, checkbook, photos make up and all the normal things as well as a 10 in 1 tool, bills, receipts tape measure and my prescriptions. It's teh one thing that is mine and mine alone. No one touches my handbag, EVER.

Also if I put anything bigger than a gum wrapper in my pockets after an hour I literally cannot feel my leg from the hip to the knee. Makes walking a challenge.

Stressed
02-12-2007, 06:23 PM
Can’t stand purses… stopped using them years ago when I spent a few years living in a rough part of London where bags were always getting snatched.

I use a handy little many-pocketed fanny pack that leaves my hands free [back in London, I was able to button my jacket over it so I didn’t look worthy of mugging]. I also used to buy men’s jackets, since they had far more pockets… and had a great Barbour that had a huge zip compartment in the back where I could fit newspapers, umbrella, magazines… oh, and combat fatigues, with those great pockets in the legs!

Strangely my 8-y-o daughter has totally embraced the purse and carries hers everywhere, even in the house and to the playground.

Penguin Queen
02-12-2007, 06:59 PM
I almost always have a handbag/small handbag-type rucksack with me. I carry loose change, keys, debit/library/travelcards in my jeans pockets (on the days when I wear my skirt (sing.) , I have to wear a top with pockets), but the rest goes in the bandbag/backback.
To wit:
one or two books to read (in case I dont feel like the one I like to carry another for backup), diary, notebook, apple, chewing gum, powder compact (which I never use but like to have on hand in case), Swiss army pen knife, backup sanitary towel, nail file, several pens (most of them working), mp3 player, spare recharged rechargeable battery (unless Ive forgotten to recharge it, in which case spare empty battery), cotton shopping bag so as not to have to use disposable plastic bag, some more loose change, Tiger Balm, cough sweets, assorted flotsam, pieces of paper, lint.

I guess I havent quite got the hang of the travelling light thing yet. http://boards.gingerbeer.co.uk/Smileys/classic/embarrassed.gif

@Dario D., if you're purely concerned re your female character having something to carry sanitary equipent in, you could have her use the mooncup (http://www.mooncup.co.uk/), which is self-sufficient, as it were.

electric.avenue
02-12-2007, 07:20 PM
I don't use a purse/handbag. I either stuff things in my pockets, or use a daysack/small haversack, which I need anyway for college for my books, files, pens, calculator, lab coat, and so on.

The nearest I get to a purse is a little black fashion shoulder sack, which I take with me sometimes if I have small things to carry.

Menstrual gear can be put into any of these, or pockets, and I usually have something with me.

Often go out wearing just jacket with any necessaries in the pockets. Particularly if I'm going for a night out, (or "neet aht", as they say in Yorkshire), I don't want to have a bag to worry about.

So, no, I don't need a purse.

Jaycinth
02-12-2007, 09:02 PM
Nawwwww I don't need a purse.

I need a freaking back-pack!
And often I find myself schlepping along another bag of stuff and a lap top.

Oh, lookie...I have a teenie eenie purse in my backpack.
...debit card, drivers license, insurance cards, kleenex, tampon, lipstick, eyeliner.

...when on vacation that stuff winds up in my pocket with my cell phone, or in a baggie in my suitcase.

Stressed
02-12-2007, 10:01 PM
Wow, this thread is going to be an all-time record-breaker… it’s getting as long as the ‘Childfree by choice’ one over on the horrible media forum…

Soccer Mom
02-13-2007, 10:44 PM
Who knew we were all so passionate about pro vs. anti purse?

C.bronco
02-13-2007, 10:50 PM
I'm surprised how few carry purses. I have to lug around stuff and not all of my clothes have pockets.
Maybe 48 Hours or Dateline should investigate this hot topic.

wendygoerl
02-14-2007, 12:02 AM
When I was in college I wore a fanny pack. It had my room key (most dorm rooms were automatically locked to the outside, so you had to carry your key around even if you were just going to the bathroom), my billfold (which carried my college ID; it held my meal account, a laundry/copier/vending machine account, and acted as a keycard for many of the buildings), and a pen and/or pencil.

When I came back home, I started carrying a ''hobo'' purse. It carries my billfold, casino cards, aspirin, iburpoferin, mints, pens/pencils, 1-12 Zip disks (I have to use the library to get online, so I carry Zip disks to transfer data), a notebook I write poetry in, a memo book (internet notes, since I can't save anything from day to day on the library machines), sometimes an SLR camera (sometimes extra lenses or filters), an Altoids tin with tissue (in winter), and an umbrella (in summer). It has a tendancy to accumulate flyers, receipts, paper, etc., which I clear out every month or so. It also occasionally carries a book to read or my Alphasmart 2000.

BTW: I never use make-up of any description.

dahmnait
02-14-2007, 12:15 AM
What's a purse?

Kidding. I used to carry one, but they are cumbersome. I already carry my briefcase and camera case, I don't need to add anything else. Besides when I carried it I never had "girlie" things in it. My friends would laugh when I would pull all of my tools out just to find my keys.

I carry a wallet, a set of keys, and a cell phone. They all fit into my pockets, my briefcase, or if needed in my hand. I have a listerine pack thingy on my key chain so I can keep mints with me at all times. (Very important when working closely with people.) I keep my briefcase and my car stocked up with extra feminine products, and I can always slip one into my pocket if needed.

L'Vaeryn
02-14-2007, 11:00 AM
I hate purses, but I carry one nearly all the time. A non-college, non-jeans perspective: My purse does hold cosmetics, which it sounds like your character would not use. How about lip balm? On really nasty weather days (summer or winter), lip balm is a necessity, at least for me, to prevent bleeding lips. Also, I carry a PDA with a place for ID/credit cards, a cell phone, a checkbook, money, an mp3player, etc. I tend to wear my work keys on a lanyard and lock my others in my office, or yes, put them in my pocket. Even a minimalist character, if she is in the professional world, would probably carry a variety of electronic gadgets in today's society. Also, many "professional" skirts and pants do not have pockets, and while jackets do, anything that is heavy (like a PDA, large keyring, mp3 player, etc) makes them bulge in very unbecoming ways... and they are frequently small enough that the item in question either will not fit or falls out... at least in my experience. During the winter, I use my coat pockets a lot, but that's just for things that I've taken out of my purse and haven't replaced.

I never carried a purse in college, carried a huge saddlebag in my first job, trimmed it to one of those sleek little zipper things for years, then got my PDA and iPod. Too much to fit in the little one now, and I use them and my cell phone every day. Putting them in my laptop bag makes it to heavy to carry on my shoulder, and I don't like the wheelie "puppy dogs" that trail behind you. If I can't carry it, then I don't think I should have it.

As for "supplies," I have spares in my car, at work and of course at home. If I am caught in a reaaaaally unlucky situation, I have been known to use wads of toilet paper. The solution is neither elegant nor comfortable, perhaps, but it works.

Hope this helps!

Dario D.
02-14-2007, 01:05 PM
Hope this helps!
Yes, thank you. Your post is very on-target, addressing some of the needs I was thinking about.

For techno-gear, my character is going to carry a smart-phone (like an iPhone, but this is in the near future... maybe fifteen years down the road) so, that takes care of carrying a Phone, PDA, MP3-player, and certain types of memos. As for lip balm, she lives in warmer weather, so, when needed, that can be slapped on at home (that's what I do... serves me well). As for keys/wallet, she carries a clip-wallet with two simple keys attached to them, in whatever pockets are available. She prefers pocketed pants/skirts, and jeans/jean-dresses, so pockets aren't a problem.

While one can certainly find extra odds and ends be carried, it's in her mindset to try to avoid carrying things as much as possible... and since men can get by just fine with absolutely nothing but a wallet/keys, I just figure (as she does) that she can too. :) It's that mindset that helps define part of her character.

thewritermama
02-16-2007, 08:15 PM
What a fascinating question. I've never been able to carry a purse, so yes, I often end up stuffing all my pockets with various gear: pens, papers, tampons, money, chapstick, etc. My favorite wallets are those big enough to carry discrete items, like you mentioned. I will carry a notepad, with a spiral top to hook a pen onto. And I've finally figured out why I am this way, I think. I've visual. So, as with my office, I don't like things to be "put away" because once out of sight they are out of mind. For all of these reasons I vote yes for a woman who doesn't carry a purse.

jennifer75
02-17-2007, 12:38 AM

I'm going to reply once (prior to viewing the other responses) then again after I see what the others have to say (I might agree with some points...)

I NEED to carry my purse.

What do I keep in my purse: my cell phone that barely ever rings, my lip gloss, hand sanitizer, hand lotion, my wallet that never has money it but finds a way to store months worth of receipts, a disc that contains my WIP, a hair brush and if it's "that time" - tampons.

If I didn't have my purse with me:

I wouldn't be able to check for messages I didn't have afterall, my lips would crack, my hands would house germs picked up from the train, my hands would dry up and crack, I wouldn't be reminded of all the money I'd wasted on this and that and there via all the receipts I have saved up, if I ever needed to add to my WIP and was not at work, I'd have nothing with me, and my hair would be a mess. And well, if I didn't have my tampons.......?

Do I need access to my menstral gear when I'm on the go? Of course I need access to menstral gear. Tampons are not meant for 12 hour use. They need replacing. Same with maxi pads. Though they can go a little longer if you're a "light one". Menstration is something that most women know exactly when it will be coming, and gear is readily available at that time until it is over with.

However they do offer those itsy bitsy tampons that fit in your pocket un-noticed.

I've vowed never to leave my purse behind for any reason. It says who I am, where I've been, and somedays where I'm going. It allows me to claim and hold the status of a woman, being that I carry womanly things in it. It allows for me show my more feminine side (as I wear the same pair of jeans for a week) by carrying a cute/trendy handbag.

It allows me to compete with the other purse-clad chicks out there. Who's got the bigger, better bag today?

jennifer75
02-17-2007, 12:41 AM
Uh, we don't carry all that stuff.

Let's see . . . I have keys, a wallet, a little change, a pocket knife, and (because it's winter) a tube of lip balm. Also, I have a Day-Timer with a calendar, checkbook, and address book which I carry in my coat pocket.

That's pretty much it for me.

Mens pockets are three times the size of womens pockets. Really. Womens pants pockets are so small, you can barely get four fingers in them. God forbid anything be in the lowest farthest down corner, like a quarter, with long nails you'd never be able to fish it out.

jennifer75
02-17-2007, 12:43 AM
A pad or a tampon will be good for a least a couple of hours, and it's not uncommon to keep backups at work or in the car, so even then the woman might not need/want to carry a purse.

True true....I have my desired method of absorption everywhere.

jennifer75
02-17-2007, 12:52 AM
I found these little wristlets that I like. They're small purses on a short loop that a woman can wear on her wrist. They don't carry much, but I like them better. Here's a link (http://www.coach.com/content/thumbnail.aspx?category_id=240)

I always carry my driver's license, charge card, cash, tissues, comb, small container of lipstick or gloss, small mirror, and a penny for good luck (old habit!)

these are ideal when one hand is going to be occupied with an alcoholic beverage for most of the night while the other hand is hanging on to the gentleman they are dancing with. wink wink.

jennifer75
02-17-2007, 12:54 AM
Oh, rub it in, rub it in...LOL

www.mymonthlycycles.com

it's a life saver.

jennifer75
02-17-2007, 12:59 AM

I was quite terrified of OB when they first came out. The thought of inserting it MYSELF grossed me out. The first time I tried it I didn't insert it far enough so I had that awful "somethings hanging out of me" feeling for a while. Then I tried again, more assertive if you would, and was successful. However, given the choice, I'll stick with my applicators.

With applicators, you know it's IN THERE.

Lolly
02-20-2007, 02:36 AM
I greatly prefer putting everything into my purse. I have a coat with big pockets, but I hate feeling all bulky with my pockets stuffed. It also comes in handy when I'm traveling, since I can slip a book in there and not have to worry about losing it.

As for the tampon thing, I do carry one, but mainly from force of habit. I'm pretty regular, so I rarely need it. I swear by the Pearl brand. In fact, I love it so much that I buy some when we come back to the States every year and bring them back with me.

veinglory
02-20-2007, 02:53 AM
Mens pockets are three times the size of womens pockets. Really. Womens pants pockets are so small, you can barely get four fingers in them. God forbid anything be in the lowest farthest down corner, like a quarter, with long nails you'd never be able to fish it out.

It depends where you buy your clothes. No pocket, no buy, with me.

jennifer75
04-25-2007, 05:05 AM
I bought my first and hopefully not the last Coach Hobo Bag over Easter wknd...I love it. $120 and it barely holds my wallet. :)

Chumplet
04-25-2007, 06:17 AM
If I don't have my purse, I'm convinced I forgot something important, even if I distribute the stuff in my pockets. I feel... naked.

My protagonist in my novel is stuck cruising through the Pyrenees with no purse. I guess I should mention her concerns, huh?

DeborahM
04-25-2007, 06:35 AM

I carry a shoulder bag and can't do without it. If I don't have it...I've forgotten something! It carries my wallet, small make-up bag, glasses (reading and sun), organizor, meds, keys, voice-activated recorder, blackberry, pens, garage remote, etc.

No, need. Mother Nature took care of that!

pdr
04-25-2007, 12:10 PM
I need my purse. Where else do I keep my small change?

Oh, it's you Americans again. You mean a hand bag/bag/shoulder bag/backpack/bumbag?
It depends where and when and what I'm doing.

Braydie
04-25-2007, 04:51 PM
I suppose I carry a purse because of habit more than an actual need.

There's a nagging fear that the one time I forget to carry, I'll: be stopped for a routine State Trooper road check and won't have my driver's license, or have an uncontrollable sneezing fit and won't have a tissue, or get stuck in a line and have to wait an inordinant amount of time and won't have a book, or need to sign something that will guarantee winning something for which I've always dreamed and won't have a working pen, or need to note something of extreme importance to remind myself of something and won't have a note pad, or snag a nail and won't have an emory board or nail file, or run into an old acquaintance who hasn't seen pictures of my grandchildren and won't have a string of their plastic-covered photos, or need to read something on a label and won't have my reading glasses, or take ahold of something nasty and won't have a sanitary wipe, or will need to freshen my lipstick and won't have any with me,... A hysterectomy at the age of thirty-two means I don't need to worry about carrying feminine hygiene products, but that Mooncup mentioned by Penguin Queen looked interesting.

When my children were young, my purse doubled as a sort of purse/diaper bag. When my grandchildren were young, their diaper bags doubled as a sort of diaper bag/purse. Go figure.

Purse carrying has been a great debate between my daughter and me for many years. I tend to lean toward it as a necessity - and I think I have stated a pretty good case for that. :) My daughter thinks it's totally unnecessary and an encumbrance - and carries a little folder in her pocket that contains her driver's license, a debit card, and a credit card. (Just let her need a tissue, an emory board, a pen, etc. when I'm around!) My granddaughter, however, loves pretty purses and carries one nearly all the time.

Maybe the notion of carrying or not carrying a purse skips a generation, and perhaps, just perhaps, the pros-and-cons-of-carrying-a-purse debate will go on for an eternity.

pink lily
04-25-2007, 11:25 PM
I use a purse. Driver's license, money, tissues, tampons, comb, etc. If I'm just running a quick errand I can take the coinpurse (money, driver's license).

RMS
04-26-2007, 12:21 AM
I need my purse. I don't know why, I just do. I think it's because I've been carrying one for soooo long now that I feel lost without it.

Tsu Dho Nimh
04-26-2007, 12:55 AM
A lot of women's clothing doesn't have functional pockets for carrying car keys, drivers licenses, credit cards and the other stuff men shove into their pants pockets and hang on their belts. Hence the handbag.

If the heroine has a way to carry what she needs without the purse ... she's believable.

If I'm wearing jeans I just stuff the license and money into my pockets and clip the phone and keys onto my belt loops. My "feminine" clothing has too-shallow pockets and no loops :(

Tsu Dho Nimh
04-26-2007, 12:57 AM
"m4n get on fine with just a wallet and keys" ... and a PDA, cellphone and other gear dangling from their belts.

And the 30-lb backpack with the business essentials.

Elektra
04-26-2007, 12:58 AM
I'm sure this has already been said, but...

You know how guys can fit everything from a set of keys to a baby elephant in their pockets? Not so with girls. My pockets will hold a few coins. That's it. My hand can fit in there up to the knuckle--so about an inch or so of room. Which means no cell phone, no wallet, no mints, nothing. I tried very hard to avoid carrying a purse (made easier by the fact that I don't wear make-up), but in the end the misogynist pcoket-makers got to me.

poetic peony
04-26-2007, 01:00 AM
I carry a suitcase according to my husband. lol But sometimes I downscale to a fanny pack with the bare essentials if I don't need a lot of extra items.
I worked with a post menopausal woman that only carried her driver's license to work and nothing else so she didn't need any extras a purse might hold.

eraye
04-26-2007, 01:36 AM
I can't say that I've carried a purse since I was a teenager. I honestly loathe them.

I carry a men's wallet in my front pocket. (Guys, why do you keep them in your back pockets anyway?) My other pocket holds my cell and has plenty of room for an mp3 player/pda/whatever.

Since I haven't reached menopause, menstrual products are still an out-and-about necessity. However, some can be rather inconspicuous. I can fit three applicator-free tampons into that little pocket in a pair of jeans. I can also fit a couple into my inhaler pouch (along with a bike/house key).

When I have absolutely no pockets in my clothing, I turn to a very small, black cosmetic bag that is just large enough to fit my wallet, cell & a pen.

Linda Adams
04-26-2007, 05:06 AM
I've never used a purse--that's what pockets are for. Of course, all I'm carrying is wallet and keys, and I never wear skirts. Though it is awfully hard to find women's wallets that fit into pockets...

L M Ashton
04-26-2007, 02:36 PM
As for the pads/tampons - keep in mind that, at most, a woman needs those around for a week out of the month, sometimes less (depending on the length of a person's individual period), and the vast majority of us are on a regular schedule, so we know when we need to carry them. A pad or a tampon will be good for a least a couple of hours, and it's not uncommon to keep backups at work or in the car, so even then the woman might not need/want to carry a purse.

It's highly individual.

[tmi alert]

I've had periods last for as long as 42 days, and for years at a time, had periods so heavy that I used both a pad and a tampon at the same time, and had to change them at least every hour and still had accidents. I've had hemhorraging, where tampons last for, oh, 10 seconds to 15 minutes - unexpectedly. I've had extremely irregular periods so that I could never predict when I was going to get them. I've had periods start up two or three days after the last one ended. I have, at times, gone through one or two dozen tampons - or more - in a day. And yes, the heavy duty ones.

So for me, yes, I ALWAYS have tampons with me. Actually, I ALWAYS have at least a half dozen with me, if not more. When I had a car, I always kept at least a full box in the car, but usually two.

[/tmi alert]

Having said that, if you want your character to not use a purse, it's more than reasonable. I know lots of women who can't be bothered with them.

huggy4ever
04-28-2007, 06:33 AM
I've never used a purse--that's what pockets are for. Of course, all I'm carrying is wallet and keys, and I never wear skirts. Though it is awfully hard to find women's wallets that fit into pockets...

Hi,
I always need to use a purse. A purse contains just about everything that a person could need at any given time. LOL

below
05-04-2007, 12:11 PM
And then if you're lazy...

I carry a purse sometimes, mostly for one of my notebooks, my wallet and so on, but if I'm out with my husband, I don't carry much. I'm more likely to have an armload of books in a backpack, or a laptop, with the wallet an afterthought. I have a checkbook sized wallet which I often carry wedged under one arm in the grocery store, or slide into a front jeans pocket. But as one of the posts stated, it is also an "identity thing". I usually wear pants and casual clothing, I have wash and wear short hair and wear natural-looking makeup. I'm not someone who has a different purse for every occasion, which is in the nature of other women, and perfectly okay for them. So which would be more natural for the character?

Oh... and... We live in an area where you pretty much need to drive most places, so we keep certain things in our car, either in the trunk or the glove box. Such as menstrual pads. If I was going to be out for hours and at the beginning of my cycle, I'd probably carry an extra pad shoved down my jeans pocket.

below
05-04-2007, 12:16 PM
quidscribis, I just saw your "tmi" post. I just rewatched the Mike Leigh "Secrets and Lies" (where one of the female characters is in a similar situation, and her husband helps her cope with it... IMO dealt with in a honest, thoughtful manner...). You have my sympathies for the discomfort you described.

stormie
05-04-2007, 05:09 PM
Sort of tmi alert:

Partial hysterectomy if you're through having kids. I had the same as quid for several years and was constantly anemic (sp?). Drs. tried everything, D&C, meds,... Finally a doctor just took out the uterus. Only a two week recovery and I was back to normal. Only better. Love it! And no early menopause.

talkwrite
05-04-2007, 08:58 PM
I have found my purse to be an addiction. I tried to quit and leave with out it- and I developed a partched throat gagging need for one item in it before I was a block from my house. So I tried to wean myself from the handbag by starting with leaving my fanny pack (contents: keys & plastic poopbag) at home when I took my dogs for a walk. On that 1st trip I met someone who wanted to hire me and I had no pen and paper. I tried to memorize their number and it evaporated by the time I reached my door. I am now president of the Purseaholics Anonymous ("I am powerless over my satchel") OUr newsletter ads include Gucci Knockoffs, so I'm happy. ;)

Nakhlasmoke
05-04-2007, 09:42 PM
When i was a teenager I used to carry scruffy, graffitied bags to haul all my junk around, then I stopped needing bags, because I hate handing handbags in at club bag and coat checks. I only started using a bag again when I had babies. go figure.

This is very odd, because I wrote a poem the other day about how my life has been divided into stages by handbags.

majilique
05-06-2007, 04:00 AM
I've owned purses (given as gifts from my grandmother) but I've always carried everything in backpacks. Carry everything, from hardcopies of manuscripts, notebooks, my Writer's Inc. (which pretty much goes everywhere with me),glasses, camera, mp3, assorted pens, my walking Pharmacy (Ibuprophen and Tylenol). Hey, you gals know what I'm talking about.

Now, I've fallen in love with Timbuk2 messenger bags (have two of them), a small/medium green canvas one (Isaac Mizrahi) I bought at Target, and last but certainly not least my small messenger bag from Disney's Evil Queen series. Maleficent which the flap opens to reveal the dragon side of her. It's the perfect size for conventions and trips.

I read Linda mentioning a woman's wallet fitting in pockets. I found a simple guys fold over with Velcro at Wally World that does the trick for me. I rarely wear dresses and when I'm forced to I feel neeked. Pants are it for me to stuff all the small stuff in. And thank God for the pants with pockets that ends all pockets (yeah I know - a cliche) Cargo Pockets.

I think I just talked too long. Sorry.
Shutting up now. :Ssh:

db :)

eliza1903
05-06-2007, 04:58 AM
In college I went without a purse all the time. I didn't have a cell phone then, and since I lived on campus, I didn't have to worry about driving and carrying car keys, license, insurance info, etc. And since it was college, I didn't wear makeup. I only kept my dorm key and my student ID with me, in my pocket, and whatever cash I needed for the day.

I preferred it that way. If I lived in an big, urban setting again and didn't have to drive or carry a cell for work, or stuff for the baby, I'd still just pocket everything - ID, metrocard, whatever.

I really don't like purses. But I'm not a girly-girl. I'd respect a female character who didn't use one.

Storyteller5
05-06-2007, 06:18 AM
Another member of the no purse club checking in. I don't need to carry much.

L M Ashton
05-06-2007, 09:30 AM
quidscribis, I just saw your "tmi" post. I just rewatched the Mike Leigh "Secrets and Lies" (where one of the female characters is in a similar situation, and her husband helps her cope with it... IMO dealt with in a honest, thoughtful manner...). You have my sympathies for the discomfort you described.Hehehe, yeah, the part I described is the discomfort part. I didn't even mention the extreme pain, nausea, vomiting, lightheadedness, dizziness, and complete inability to do anything other than curl up in a ball and whimper during the worst of it. :D

I've considered going the hysterectomy route, but I have a medical condition that further complicates things and means I need to avoid surgery unless it's absolutely necessary. But then, I'm in early perimenopause, so it could be over on its own soon enough anyway, and for me, that would be better than a partial or full hysterectomy.

[/total derail]

But to keep it on track, that also means that I also carry copious quantities of painkillers with me at all times, too.

And I could also add that, especially since I now live in a tropical country, I have to carry a water bottle with me everywhere I go. I'm prone to heat/sunstroke and migraines (yeah, it's my nasty genetic collagen defect at work here and everywhere), and a water bottle can make a huge difference.

Yeah, I've got a big purse and I'm not afraid to use it. :p

zahra
05-06-2007, 05:38 PM
Yeah, I carry a ...'handbag,' as we term it in England. In fact, I love 'em and have about 30, some of them antique and period. The one I carry day-to-day at the moment is huge black leather - I even put my laptop in it on the plane so i could take said lappy as hand-luggage.

Interesting about the presumption of girliness...I hold my hand up to being a girlie-girl lookswise - have long hair, wear dresses almost always, reek of Dior's Addict - but if people expect this to mean I love rom-coms, Sex and The City and believe that every kiss begins with K, well, they'd be in for a wee shock.

ned
05-09-2007, 08:01 AM
OH, I love purse conversations!
They're great for movies, so you can smuggle in your own food!
I carry one when I'm going shopping.
At school, never. Just a book bag.
At amusement parks, an ID and cash in one pocket, key in the other. Honestly, I hate purses. They attract clutter. The smaller the better if it's really necessary.
I've gone years without carrying one. Pockets are fine unless you're really worried about bulges that don't look too appealing. Front pocket of the jeans holds almost anything.
I never carry one to work. I work with money, and one of the rules is that they can search your purse any time. I'd rather not deal.
On vacation, I take a whapper of a bag and carry the kitchen sink and just in case I need it, a bottle of Drain-O. My motto on holidays is "It's better to have it and not need it..."

There's a game you can play, if purses are a mystery to any of you guys. Have all the women in the room empty their purses on the table. (If they want to, of course, and if you promise to keep your composure.) Most women will comply. It's kind of like a mingling of group therapy and one of those goofy email questionaires. You really get to know a person, and women like to share.

blacbird
05-09-2007, 08:33 AM
If you want to drive a male stark raving mad, stand in line in front of one at a grocery store watching your 135 items be rung up, then start looking for your checkbook or credit card in your purse, then spend some significant portion of geologic time reorganizing your purse after paying for the purchase. Guaranteed. Works every time.

caw

Soccer Mom
05-09-2007, 10:23 PM
If you want to drive a male stark raving mad, stand in line in front of one at a grocery store watching your 135 items be rung up, then start looking for your checkbook or credit card in your purse, then spend some significant portion of geologic time reorganizing your purse after paying for the purchase. Guaranteed. Works every time.

caw

I see you've been in line behind my mother.