Women: Do you need your purse?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dario D.

I have a question for the ladies. I was just wondering if you NEED your purse, or if you could live without it. I'm thinking of having a female character who doesn't use a purse, but first I need to see if that's reasonable.

In my younger years, I always thought women certainly didn't NEED a purse, until the day I realized that pads/tampons were carried in them. So, I'm also curious to know if you would have some other way to transport those while you were on the go (assuming, of course, that they are as important as I think they are).

So, let me sum it up as simply as possible:
1) Do you NEED your purse? (for whatever reasons)
2) Do you NEED access to menstrual gear when you're on the go?

Thanks for the help. Any input is appreciated :)

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
1) By purse, I assume you mean handbag? In the UK purse means the little thing you keep your money in. Anyway, the answer is mostly no, or it depends. If I have stuff to carry, Ill take a handbag. If I only need to go shopping, I'll take a purse and put it in my coat pocket. I don't like having things in my nand. If I have tro go somewhere where I need "stuff" I'll take a shoulder bag so I can forget about it. Basically, I like to have as little baggage as possible.

2) No.

Sandi LeFaucheur

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sandilefaucheur.com
Yup. I don't know how men survive without one. Aside of the pads, there's a mirror, comb, two lipsticks, umbrella, wallet, tissues, pass for work, sundry bits of paper (payslips, notes, etc), pen, two bottles of painkillers (for different types of headache), diary, chequebook, sunglasses... Not to mention, when I buy a small item, I pop that in there, too.

How do men put all that stuff in their pockets?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How do men put all that stuff in their pockets?
Uh, we don't carry all that stuff.

Let's see . . . I have keys, a wallet, a little change, a pocket knife, and (because it's winter) a tube of lip balm. Also, I have a Day-Timer with a calendar, checkbook, and address book which I carry in my coat pocket.

That's pretty much it for me.

Willowmound

Lightly salted
Registered
Reaction score
Being not a woman, but rather a man with common sense, I can tell you that among the more than three billion women in the world, thousands upon thousands don't use a purse. Probably millions. I'm sure some of them would live wherever your character lives.

Mandy-Jane

venturing ever further into the unknown
Registered
Reaction score
I will complete a play this year! I will!
In Australia, purse also means the thing you carry your money in, so like Aruna, I'm guessing you mean handbag. For me, the answer is no. I have one - in fact, I have four - but I rarely use them. When I'm out, I carry in my hand, my purse (money), my keys, and my mobile phone. My phone and keys can also fit in my jeans pocket (along with anything else I might be needing at the time). So no. I don't need it. I usually only carry it if I'm trying to look impressive!

PastMidnight

Oponionated
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jabrockmole.com
I don't. I have change in one pocket, a pen and keys in the other, and any cards that I might need for the day (debit card, library card, etc.) in my back pocket. I used to just carry a purse (wallet), but had it stolen recently and haven't wanted to replace it.

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
I only carry a handbag if I need access to larger things that won't fit in my pockets (day book, check book, a paperback if I know I'll be stuck somewhere for awhile). Everything else--including a spare tampon or two--fits in my pockets. No wallet, either, just a little flat plastic holder for my credit cards/driver's license.

A handbag is almost never necessary in the winter, because coat pockets can hold so much.

Novelust

*Does not molest books.
Registered
Reaction score
Many women don't carry purses; I used to stick to the pockets of my coat.

As for the pads/tampons - keep in mind that, at most, a woman needs those around for a week out of the month, sometimes less (depending on the length of a person's individual period), and the vast majority of us are on a regular schedule, so we know when we need to carry them. A pad or a tampon will be good for a least a couple of hours, and it's not uncommon to keep backups at work or in the car, so even then the woman might not need/want to carry a purse.

MajorDrums

Kidnapper
Registered
Reaction score
I would feel naked without my purse (or handbag), but purses are my "thing."

It probably depends on what type of lifestyle your female character has; I don't carry a lot of stuff with me, so I often carry a small or medium-sized purse. Some women carry everything but the kitchen sink in their purses, so those women opt for totes, sometimes even carrying more than one purse with them. Some use their purses for business files, diapers, school books...etc.

giftedrhonda

Gifted Goofball
Registered
Reaction score
Luckily, I don't need it for feminine stuff (plumbing was removed-LOL), but I do use my purse (handbag) to store my car keys, chapstick, wallet (with checkbook, credit/debit cards), etc.

If I'm going somewhere where I don't need a check, I can totally do without my purse. I can carry that stuff in my pocket.

Solatium

Registered
Reaction score
Just another perspective here: I hate purses -- can't stand a) having one hand constantly occupied or b) having to hunch my shoulder to keep the strap from sliding off. But I do carry a ton of stuff with me by wearing skirts with capacious pockets. Right now I have my wallet and cell phone in one pocket and my cigarettes, lighter and pill box in the other. I could without undue difficulty add a pen, a couple of tampons, a candy bar or two, and a paperback book. And when you consider my coat pockets . . .

Well, you get the idea. It makes me look even hippier than I am, but at least my hands are free.

Oh, and as for your second question: even if most public restrooms have machines, I prefer to carry my own. There's always the risk they'll be out of tampons (I don't use pads) or it'll be an ancient machine that only takes dimes -- on the one day when all I have is quarters. This is one area in which I do not want to be forced to improvise.

My main concern when carrying tampons is that they'll push partway out of the applicator while still in the wrapper, rendering them more difficult and uncomfortable to insert. Tampax Compak is the only applicator tampon I know that completely avoids this problem.

Many women carry pads (also lipstick, Kleenex, or even money for emergencies) between their breasts. This works best with a sports bra; a less substantial undergarment, or a greater gap between the breasts, makes the object more likely to fall out.

</more than you ever wanted to know>

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
I hate carrying pocketbooks, but find that women's coats or jackets don't have enough pockets, and many without inside pockets, so sometimes I have to carry one. It's a pain.

I found these little wristlets that I like. They're small purses on a short loop that a woman can wear on her wrist. They don't carry much, but I like them better. Here's a link

I always carry my driver's license, charge card, cash, tissues, comb, small container of lipstick or gloss, small mirror, and a penny for good luck (old habit!)

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
1. Yes. Absolutely. Not only do I carry my bulky keys, wallet, coins, etc., I also have to carry things for my son: his chapstick, tissues, a juice box etc. When I'm out with my husband, I end up carrying what he can't put in his pockets. I'm just glad I don't have to carry a diaper bag and a purse anymore. My right shoulder (sprained twice) is also glad.
2. LOL! No. Never. I only menstruate while at home. (?!)

An aside: I'm not a shoe person, nor do I have expensive clothes, or, necessarily, clothes that aren't in some stage of falling apart, but I'm a sucker for a good Dooney & Bourke bag. Luckily, they last a long time, so I can get away with buying one every four years.

Reaction score
1) Do I carry a handbag? Only if my coat doesn't have big enough pockets for my purse, compact foundation, keys and mobile phone. At the moment due to the cold weather, I wear my leather jacket when I go out and those pockets hold everything.

2) Do I need access to menstrual 'gear' when I go out? Well, no; I wear what I need but if I wanted to carry 'spares' - tampons fit in pockets too.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
1) Do you NEED your purse? (for whatever reasons)

Have never carried one. I keep my wallet, keys and cell phone in my pockets. I just don't see the need.

2) Do you NEED access to menstrual gear when you're on the go?

For me, YES. But it's not like it takes up much space. I just keep one in the inside pocket of my jacket or in my glove compartment.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
If I can possibly get out of the house without a purse, I will do so... and there aren't many days I can't manage to ditch the bag. Hate 'em. Hate. Hate. Hate. It's just one more thing to keep track of - and anyone who's misplaced one or had it stolen, knows that awful feeling in the pit of one's stomach when the dawning realization hits that 'it's gone!'. I want to avoid that feeling at all costs.

latoya

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I need my purse. I have to have it. There's just too much to carry not to have it. The only time I don't have my purse is when I go out to a club, and then I only have my ID, lip gloss, and cell phone.

Yes, I need access to menstrual gear, mostly because of Murphy's Law, lol

It's totally possible to have a female character that doesn't need a purse, but her character will dictate that.

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
My main concern when carrying tampons is that they'll push partway out of the applicator while still in the wrapper, rendering them more difficult and uncomfortable to insert. Tampax Compak is the only applicator tampon I know that completely avoids this problem.
That's why non-applicator tampons (o.b. in the U.S., Lillets in the U.K.--don't know about the rest of the world) are so handy. If I'm going to be out for a whole day, it's easy to carry 3 or 4 in the pocket of my jeans. Plus, of course, they work so much better, I'm amazed that Tampax is even still in business.

Reaction score
I've never used an applicator tampon. I mean, how are you supposed to use an applicator? Something still has to go inside you, so you may as well make it the tampon itself (lillets are great; discreet and they work).

Are they for women who don't like to touch their own bodily parts?

I know, weird question, but I've never used 'em so I'm mystified as to how an applicator would help...

wordsmyth

Registered
Reaction score
Website
maryevelynlewis.com
I tend to carry a wallet. Men friends laugh when they see me pull my trifold out of my back right pocket. I despise carrying a purse. The tampon brand I use is as small as a tube of lipbalm, so when I need them, I have one in my front pocket of my jeans.

If I need my checkbook, I take it with me and store it in my coat pocket. I have a wool trench coat for winter, and an oversized denim jacket for summer.

spike

Mostly Ignored
Registered
Reaction score
Website
oddgoose.blogspot.com
I really don't know how men survive without a handbag. But I usually don't carry it. I take what I need and lock it in my desk at work or in the trunk of my car.

I don't like stuff in my pockets. Always looks weird.

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
I had to carry a handbag in the Army - for women, officers or not, it's part of the uniform. I carried a plain black regulation shoulderbag - Coach was the contractor, so it was a fine leather bag.

I am used to it - in addition to wallet, checkbook, keys, comb & beauty stuff, important papers, money, sunglasses, reading glasses (replaces tampons at a certain age) tissues and bandaids, it's also a handy spot for my CCW & gun.

I never leave home without it.

Solatium

Registered
Reaction score
I've never used an applicator tampon. I mean, how are you supposed to use an applicator? Something still has to go inside you, so you may as well make it the tampon itself (lillets are great; discreet and they work).

Are they for women who don't like to touch their own bodily parts?

I know, weird question, but I've never used 'em so I'm mystified as to how an applicator would help...

For me, it's a matter of 1) better aim and 2) not getting blood under my fingernails.

Status
Not open for further replies.