Amy Tan

Mud Dauber

writing on the wall
Registered
Reaction score
I'm about halfway through Amy Tan's memoir, The Opposite of Fate, and I have to say... it's hysterical. I love her candor. She has some really funny anecdotes about her mother and her Chinese heritage, as well as many interesting things about her life as a writer, and it's all written in a way that's so down to earth and humble. Has anyone else read it?

She also talks about some gig she did with Stephen King back in '93 where they toured with other writers (the only other name I can remember off the top of my head is Dave Barry) as The Rock Bottom Remainders: a rock and roll band. The whole thing struck me as an unusual thing for a group of writers to do, yet she talked about it with such fondness, and made it sound like a blast. Did any of you King fans know of this?

This is the first book I'm reading of hers, but I can already tell I like her style. I plan to check out her fiction novels next. Anyone have any recommendations?

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
I have read all of Amy Tan'sbooks but one; that one is the one you name, The Opposite of Fate.
I love her novels; The Kitchen God's Wife and The Bonesetter's Daughter are my favourites.
I just finished Saving Fish from Drowning. It started off very slow and it took a bit of getting used to , but in the end I found it a marvellous read, and very unusual in that it is read from the perspective of a dead person. But no comparison with The Lovely Bones; this is so much better, and the out of body perspective is actually used to forward the story, which is more that can be said for Lovely Bones (which, btw, I hated!).
Amy Tan is one of my favourite contemporary authors.

Last edited:

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I love Amy Tan too, and can't think of one I wouldn't recommend. The Bonesetter's Daughter was the last one I read, and I loved it, as well as The Kitchen God's Wife and The Joy Luck Club. She can really make me cry.

I knew about the music gig with Stephen King because he writes about it in his autobiographical book On Writing. They're good friends who both enjoy music.

Kudra

Back and on track
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.TheInternationalFreelancer.com
I just finished The Opposite of Fate recently, and absolutely loved it. I picked up Joy Luck Club because it seemed that it might have the same voice from the memoir, but I wasn't able to get into it the way I'd hoped to. I'm still holding on to it though. Maybe it'll call out to me in the future.

dreamsofnever

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kellyguentner.com
Carogirl already mentioned the Joy Luck Club, which is both hilarious, sad, and heartwarming all in one. Sad to say this is the only Amy Tan book I have read so far, so I'll have to check out the other books mentioned in the thread. Anyways, definitely check out Joy Luck Club. it's fantastic!

Kay_XX

Registered
Reaction score
I really liked the Joy Luck Club, I've read all her books but that one is still my favourite. I like the way she shows how the two cultures clash and combine and I really enjoy the way she describes China, as I'd love to go there someday.

The music gig with King et all sounds like it would've been great to see, King I think had even some pics on his site at some stage..

Ned George

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a new Amy Tan reader; I just finished "Bonesetter's Daughter," and I'm a believer. I didn't read "Joy Luck Club" but I did sob through the movie, and I NEVER cry at movies.

Stephen King mentions this gig with Amy Tan and others in the intro to his book "On Writing." It was on his recommendation that I first picked up one of her books.