View Full Version : Stuck for an academic title . . .

02-08-2007, 07:29 PM
My MC will soon be meeting a Head of Department from the British Museum. He is a little nervous, and has no idea how to address her. Would she be a Professor, a Doctor, or just a Miss or Mrs. He would very much appreciate any advice that you good people care to share.

Many thanks and kind regards,


02-08-2007, 07:42 PM
Almost certainly they would hold a PhD and be addressed as 'Doctor'.
It is possible they might be professor on the basis that 1) they held a professorial position somewhere else before they went to the BM or 2) they hold an emeritus title from a university e.g. University of London, as recognition of their scholarship.

02-08-2007, 07:46 PM
Thanks ever so much, Waylander, that's exactly the sort of information I was looking for . . .

I'll pass it on to my MC, it's sure to calm his nerves a little.

Many thanks


02-08-2007, 09:24 PM
I just wanted to confirm the info waylander has provided. Seems right-on.

Maryn, once again arriving too late to answer first