YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING ME!!

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
WTF? Tonight a courier shows up at my door. Inside is a lovely letter from our friend VCretella. Within, among a long list of my quotes from THIS MESSAGE BOARD, they tell me that I cannot call PA a scam.

No. Seriously. They went to all the trouble to look up my home address and paid a courier service to deliver it. I feel so special. Three pages of things I've said and why what I said is a lie. If I don't cease and desist, that they will sue me. Oh, and that they've send a bunch of things I've said to the AG's office. As if. I'll believe it when the Feds show up.

Yanno what, PA? Bring. It. On. I'm sure I could find a lawyer (or one will volunteer... Jaws, you listening?) to take you on in court.

Oh, and if I call them on the phone and discuss a 'settlement', they won't file charges or seek the damages in 'excess of $100,000 dollars'

You wait, yours is coming. I'm sure they aren't just targeting me.

If anyone wants a copy of this thing, I will be happy to scan it and send it along.

OFFICALLY, I believe PA to be a less than truthful about their business practices. I believe their sole purpose is to sell books to their authors, instead of using the business plan of mainstream commercial publishers. This is clearly my opinion, based on facts and anecdotal evidence.

If anyone's happy when they realize how PA operates, hey, more power to 'em. But someone has to clue them in before they sign.

Telling the truth is neither defamtory nor malicious.

Nice try, though. If you put the money into your authors that you put into the courier service...or heck, if they were even truthful about what they're doing, I'd shut up. Gladly.

So what do I do with this thing? Advice? Can I pass the hat for when they take me to court?

Last edited:

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Teeheee!!! Wow!

ETA: PA IS A SCAM!!! So sue me...

Ken Schneider

Absolute sagebrush
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
WTF? Tonight a courier shows up at my door. Inside is a lovely letter from our friend VCretella. Within, among a long list of my quotes from THIS MESSAGE BOARD, they tell me that I cannot call PA a scam. So what do I do with this thing? Advice? Can I pass the hat for when they take me to court?

Yup, pass the hat my way.

Bite me Lar, Mo and Wil. I'll testify to their antics. Of sales of my books when right had been returned to me. How Meiners has already said they look to sell to authors. Want to lay out the sales records PA?

Dream thieves.

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
WTF? Tonight a courier shows up at my door. Inside is a lovely letter from our friend VCretella. Within, among a long list of my quotes from THIS MESSAGE BOARD, they tell me that I cannot call PA a scam.

No. Seriously. Three pages of things I've said and why what I said is a lie. If I don't cease and desist, that they will sue me. Oh, and that they've send a bunch of things I've said to the AG's office. As if. I'll believe it when the Feds show up.

Yanno what, PA? Bring. It. On. I'm sure I could find a lawyer (or one will volunteer... Jaws, you listening?) to take you on in court.

Oh, and if I call them on the phone and discuss a 'settlement', they won't file charges or seek the damages in 'excess of $1,000 dollars'

If anyone wants a copy of this thing, I will be happy to scan it and send it along.

OFFICALLY, I believe PA to be a less than truthful about their business practices. I believe their sole purpose is to sell books to their authors, instead of using the business plan of mainstream commercial publishers. This is clearly my opinion, based on facts and anecdotal evidence.

If anyone's happy when they realize how PA operates, hey, more power to 'em. But someone has to clue them in before they sign.

Nice try, though. If you put the money into your authors that you put into the courier service...or heck, if they were even truthful about what they're doing, I'd shut up. Gladly.

So what do I do with this thing? Advice? Can I pass the hat for when they take me to court?
Jeez Louise!
Would you provide a copy of the letter.
If we ALL get letters like that, let's combine forces in a countersuit.
Keep us posted.

JimmyD1318

THE POPCORN MONSTER!
Registered
Reaction score

No. Seriously. They went to all the trouble to look up my home address and paid a courier service to deliver it. I feel so special. Three pages of things I've said and why what I said is a lie. If I don't cease and desist, that they will sue me. Oh, and that they've send a bunch of things I've said to the AG's office. As if. I'll believe it when the Feds show up.

Oh, and if I call them on the phone and discuss a 'settlement', they won't file charges or seek the damages in 'excess of $1,000 dollars'

You have got to be kidding me! People have been calling PA a scam and so many different things for years now! Why target you? Yeah, send me a scanned copy of what they sent you! I want to read this little thing! If you need my email address PM me.

Christine N.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
I need to clarify - it's not quotes from me, but a list of claims I've made (uh, and about a hundred other people here) and a list of why I'm wrong. Reads like a tone letter.

It's really rather funny, but my hubby is nervous.

You'll have to wait for the scan. My dad has the scanner, so I'll do it tomorrow.

JimmyD1318

THE POPCORN MONSTER!
Registered
Reaction score
But still...how long has this thread been going on now? And they are just now trying to scare people about what's going on? Makes no sense what so ever.

And who is VCretella anyway?

Ken Schneider

Absolute sagebrush
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe they're hurtin' a little in the sales to authors department.

Cretalla is a real estate lawyer that PA draws like a gun at people when they get stung.

Last edited:

Christine N.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
I've personally been posting on this thread for over two and a half years.

I think they're just trying to scare me. Ain't working. That real estate attorney they have working for them is just not that scary.

Yeah, they act like a) I'm the only one and b) I'm an idiot.

It's the old 'scare 'em to shut up' tactic. Ask Kevin what happened when the fake cop showed up at his house.

Ken Schneider

Absolute sagebrush
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've personally been posting on this thread for over two and a half years.

I think they're just trying to scare me. Ain't working. That real estate attorney they have working for them is just not that scary.

Yeah, they act like a) I'm the only one and b) I'm an idiot.

It's the old 'scare 'em to shut up' tactic. Ask Kevin what happened when the fake cop showed up at his house.

Like they've ever WON a court case!

roach

annoyed and annoying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.idiorhythmic.net
OMG Christine that is just too precious for words! Please do send me a copy if you get it scanned.

Man, I feel so left out. I never get any nasty PMs or threatening letters or anything. *kicks the ground*

ETA: Oh yeah, and PA is a scam run by a bunch of talentless wannabe writers.

*looks at the above line and nods to herself* Yeah that ought about do it.

Last edited:

Christine N.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
LOLOLOLOL.

Hey, I'm sure I could stuff that courtroom with people to back me up.

What it tells me is that I've struck a nerve. I want to know if other COD authors have gotten them? Thinking I wasn't a big enough problem until then.

Either that or they had a list of names and threw a dart at it.

Roach, this is a first for me. Can I be one of the, oh what was it, Evil Eight or whatever it was? I get promoted!

LeslieB

Geek Unique
Registered
Reaction score
This is nothing more than a scare tactic. They know that you would almost certainly talk about it, and they are hoping to frighten people into thinking that if they criticize PA they might get sued. But I'm betting that Jaws would positively salivate at the idea of dragging PA into open court.

PA, you are a scam. Now send me a letter. I have more lawyers on my Palm than most people have friends.

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
Is there a Holiday Inn in Frederick?

Think we could get a group rate?

Use the same Holiday Inn that PA used for its convention.
The lawsuit gang would probably outnumber the PA convention attendees.
We could have a banquet and take photos afterwards for a new anti-PA website. Maybe arrange some speakers and read from Atlanta Nights and Crack of Death too. :)

Last edited:

Christine N.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Oh, wait, this one is priceless...

Similarly, there is nothing deceptive about PA's[sic] "acceptance" of manuscripts. According to you, PA's use of the word "acceptance" when it offers contracts to potential authors creates the impression that PA's offer is equally as prestigous as an offer from Doubleday or Random House. This accusation is preposterous of course. Nowhere on its website does PA speculate that its acceptance carries as much weight as an acceptance by any other publisher. To the contrary, PA notes that it maintains "lower acceptance barriers" than other traditional publishers. How this might mislead potential authors in the manner suggested by you is absolutely perplexing.

Yeah, AN and COD were pretty low barriers. Vic, do you really think I haven't heard what goes on in the townhouse? Low acceptance barriers doesn't really describe it, eh?

Now I have to return to writing books to sell to commercial publishers that will be edited by real editors and sell for a reasonable cover price. They might even make it to the bookstore.

Last edited:

JimmyD1318

THE POPCORN MONSTER!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm surprised that they haven't tried to go after Uncle Jim. He's been telling the truth about PA for a very long time. Makes you wonder what are they really up to.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
This reminds me of something we would do in class when the PA came on calling one of us to the principal's office. We would sing together...

"OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooh, Youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu gonna getttttitttt nowwwww."

Shall we begin!

Tell your hubby you're just as likely to get sued by the PA bastards as you are to answer your door to Ed McMahon and his 45 foot cheque for a million. Sure, you get the contest mail regularly, but where the hell is ED!

I can't wait to see the scan!

JimmyD1318

THE POPCORN MONSTER!
Registered
Reaction score
I guess they figure I scare easier.

Dave K, if you want a copy for P&E, PM me. I know you read these boards, even if you don't post.

I guess they got that wrong! Looks to me that your one heck of a fighter!:box:

Remind me to stay on your good side. I don't want to end up like this....:e2beat:

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
Fools. Tipping their hand BEFORE discovery. That's gonna hurt them in court.

Reaction score
I'm suing everyone who participates in this thread, which has an offensive swearification in the title.

Oh no, wait...