PDA

View Full Version : It's not like that at all...

maverick444
02-08-2007, 01:08 AM
Has anyone else had this one? I just had a potential agent send me a rejection that said my book was too "Doom-like". It may share some similar elements at first glance, but it really isn't like it at all. Might as well have said it was like Evil Dead (which I would have just been psyched over). Even so, Doom was a best selling game and sure the movie didn't do as well as it could have, it was still made into a movie! What is the problem here? Maybe I just needed to rant.

I have had "positive rejections" like they had too many clients or they do not handle that genre and those I can understand, but rejecting because the book reminds him of a popular franchise just made no sense to my overly eager to be accepted brain.

I would love to say that I am done ranting about it, but I know I will be complaining about this for days. It just bothers me a bit. Thanks for reading.

Jamesaritchie
02-08-2007, 01:45 AM
Has anyone else had this one? I just had a potential agent send me a rejection that said my book was too "Doom-like". It may share some similar elements at first glance, but it really isn't like it at all. Might as well have said it was like Evil Dead (which I would have just been psyched over). Even so, Doom was a best selling game and sure the movie didn't do as well as it could have, it was still made into a movie! What is the problem here? Maybe I just needed to rant.

I have had "positive rejections" like they had too many clients or they do not handle that genre and those I can understand, but rejecting because the book reminds him of a popular franchise just made no sense to my overly eager to be accepted brain.

I would love to say that I am done ranting about it, but I know I will be complaining about this for days. It just bothers me a bit. Thanks for reading.

Generally speaking, if there's a popular franchise in any form, publishers don't want novels too much like them. This means agents don't want them, either. Common reason for rejections are "Too much like Star Trek," too much like Lord of the Rings," "Too much like Dungeons and Dragons," etc.

They're looking for something that can build a new franchise, not remind people of an old one.

KCathy
02-08-2007, 04:21 AM
Is it any consolation that he didn't say something like "take a writing course" or "you stink"? I'd like to offer the small sop that he took you seriously enough/thought you were talented enough to give you a reason for not wanting the work as opposed to thinking your work was bad and just shipping out a form letter. Um, not totally cheered up yet?

There's also the fact that if you know it's not very Doom-like, another agent will see that, too. This agent may just have read too quickly or not thought too carefully before firing out a reply. Now, if five agents tell you that, it would be a different story, but you should feel free to ignore one person's opinion if you truly know better.

Better luck next time, and hopefully with an even better agent!

Chumplet
02-08-2007, 05:16 AM
I got one that said there were already a lot of hockey romances out there but I was hard pressed to find one that was halfway decent.
My first MS has similarities to 'Lost' but I wrote it before the series came out. I have witnesses.

thethinker42
02-08-2007, 05:24 AM
This agent may just have read too quickly or not thought too carefully before firing out a reply.

Maybe he'd been up all night playing Doom? :D (C'mon, just tryin' to cheer the OP up) Whenever I've been on an "Age of Empires II" bender, I find that damn near everything I read is "AEOII"-like. (I do read fantasy...it's not like I'm reading Tom Clancy and picturing monks and trebuchets)