Blasphemy? Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lady Esther

I can say the alphabet backwards!
Registered
Reaction score
In my story there's a prophet who goes into a nation to prophesy to the people about what their terrible fate will be if they don't change. If the prophet starts off by saying "Thus saith the Lord" am I blaspheming? (because God didn't really say it)

Your thoughs please.

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
In my story there's a prophet who goes into a nation to prophesy to the people about what their terrible fate will be if they don't change. If the prophet starts off by saying "Thus saith the Lord" am I blaspheming? (because God didn't really say it)

Your thoughs please.

That's a hard one. I think it really depends on what religious viewpoint you're telling your story from.

For example, if it were a Jewish or Noahide (Old Testament Religions both)viewpoint, it might very well qualify as blasphemy. However, if you were speaking from, say, a Pentecostal or Baptist viewpoint, I think the ramifications would not be so heavy.

Of course, I'm no longer a Christian, so take my advice with a grain of salt, if you wish.

Still, from what I remember of my Christian upbringing, I would say you're probably safe with the whole blasphemy issue, since your prophet's words are not used in cursing.

I hope this helps you out, and I wish you the very best with your writing endeavors.

:)

Anonymous Traveler

His servent for life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
prairiewords.wordpress.com
We are surrounded by countless people quoting what they think God has said. My faith works from Scriptures that have descended from a misty past. If the character believes that God has instructed him, and the message is not inconsistent with God's other teaching there should be no problem, However if he chooses to misrepresent the Lord for his own ends that it would be blasphemy. IMHO

Higgins

Banned
Reaction score
Fiction

Your thoughs please.

You're representing your story as fictional, I assume. I assume in fiction you can say anything you want to about what a fictional prophet might say. Besides, doesn't even a fictional prophet have to use some sort of terminology to justify his role?

I'm Christian in Name only so, don't take this as necessarily being something you can try at home.

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
Blasphemy is a much misused term. There are a lot of definitions out there, but they all pretty much break down like this:

blasphemy (noun)
1. blasphemous language (expressing disrespect for God or for something sacred)
2. blasphemous behavior; the act of depriving something of its sacred character; "desecration of the Holy Sabbath" [syn: profanation]

"blasphemy." WordNet® 2.1. Princeton University. 08 Feb. 2007. <Dictionary.com http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/blasphemy>.

Unless the character is saying disrespectful things about God, it isn't blasphemy. However attributing words to God that he didn't say would be considered heresy.

2 Peter 2:1 But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.

Whether you personally are committing heresy would depend on whether your message is to claim that God actually said the things the prophet said. However, if you believe in God, I can't imagine that you'd do that. If you don't believe in God, I can't imagine you'd care.

Anonymous Traveler

His servent for life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
prairiewords.wordpress.com
However attributing words to God that he didn't say would be considered heresy.

However, if you believe in God, I can't imagine that you'd do that.

Heresy was the word I was looking for. That is the difference.

I am afraid there are people who believe(?) in God but for some reason have their own idea on what He intends. Many millions have died in the His name. I believe there are some that would strike down Jesus if he stood in their path to do God's word as they saw it.

Last edited:

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
I am afraid there are people who believe(?) in God but for some reason have their own idea on what He intends. Many millions have died in the His name. I believe there are some that would strike down Jesus if he stood in their path to do God's word as they saw it.
True, but the original poster's question was:
Therefore, she knows that God didn't say it.

BruceJ

Me and my Muse
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brucejudisch.com
I agree with Sokal's take on the fictional setting. People reading the work understand it's fiction. Peretti's The Visitation (among a bunch of others) does this. I put words in the mouth of the minor prophet Jonah in my novel; however, since they're consistent with the Biblical account and end up being truthful in that what was prophesied did actually occur, I have no problem doing so.

Now, if you have an ulterior motive to your readership that you believe God really did say this/does mean this/intends to communicate to Man what your character prophesies and you're taking up the pen to produce an allegory or a parable vice simply a story, you might be on thinner ice if it's not true revelation.

citymouse

fantasy dweller
Registered
Reaction score
If in your story your you describe your prophet as being of the Lord then it follows that (in your story) the prophet speaks with the voice of the Lord.Therefore you are not blaspheming. Besides to sin one must first understand that he/she is deliberately setting his/her will above that of God. I hardly think you intend that or you wouldn't be worried about it.
C

Your thoughs please.

Status
Not open for further replies.