Literary Snobbery over Fight to Save Conan Doyle's House?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
http://news.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=200362007

From the lead... _Scottish crime writer Ian Rankin has accused government minister Tessa Jowell of "literary snobbery" over her refusal to recognise the Sherlock Holmes creator Arthur Conan Doyle as one of Britain's literary giants._

People are trying to save the home where Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wrote "The Hound of the Baskervilles." They asked the culture minister, Tessa Jowell, to give the mansion "Grade I" status -- which would ensure that it is preserved. However, she refused, saying that Doyle "does not occupy a significant enough position in the nation's consciousness".
:Wha:

What?! He doesn't?! That's just insane. Is this the same Conan Doyle whose works are still being adapted years after his death (even on BBC of all things)? The same one whose books are still in print, still discussed by fans, even available in annotated editions? People are still reading his books, when many of the so-called critically acclaimed writers of his time are forgotten by all but people studying for English Lit degrees. There are even societies set up dedicated to Sherlock Holmes.

According to the article, in London, Sherlock Holmes' fictional dwelling gets more visitors than the houses of Jane Austen and Charles Dickens. So you'd think they'd want to preserve Conan Doyle real house. Sheesh.

Some people think she's being a literary snob because Conan Doyle's books are too popular to apply for "literary" status. Others wonder if she is doing this because he is Scottish. (I'd forgotten he was Scottish, so I've learned something new today.)

"Culture minister" my foot.
:wag:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know all the details, but this would seem to be a big mistake. If nothing else, just the tourist attraction it could become if properly managed would make it worth preserving, let alone the historic value.

I can't believe there's a "Scotsperson" who doesn't understand the monetary value. ;-)

JackieA

Registered
Reaction score
I can't believe there's a "Scotsperson" who doesn't understand the monetary value. ;-)

Well for one the woman's English and for another helping fill Scottish coffers - or any coffers north of Watford for that matter - is not even a low priority let alone a high one for an English government.:Shrug:

And the only person who should feel embarrased by this decision is Tessa Jowell:ROFL:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well for one the woman's English and for another helping fill Scottish coffers - or any coffers north of Watford for that matter - is not even a low priority let alone a high one for an English government.:Shrug:
My comment was only meant as a joke.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
That is crazy. Sherlock Holmes is arguably the most recognisable fictional character there is. Just wait til all those Sherlock Holmes societies find out!

Last edited:

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Isn't it Sir Arthur Conan Doyle ? That's nuts - he's one of the most recognizable writers. It would be a fantastic tourist attraction, IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.