Harmonica songs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vincent

Cheers
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
What I'm after is a good old harmonica song to use in a story, maybe something folksy, the kind of thing a group might sing around a campfire. And, preferably, a song I can actually legally use.

Whaddya all reckon?

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of
The only one that comes to mind is a song that one of the soldiers sings and harmonicas in Kelly's Heroes.
I'm not sure of the name (if it has one) but if I had to guess, I'd say it probably called "Ole Blue"

Every time I go to town, the boys start kicking my dog around
I don't care if he is a hound, you better stop kickin' my dog around
Go on Blue, you good dog you

Or something.

Elodie-Caroline

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
elodie.the.writer.tripod.com
There's always the theme from 'Midnight cowboy' I love that tune. Or you could always try Amazon links for Larry Adler and Shakey Horton (who does lovely Blues tunes). I still have an old 12 ins vinyl record of shakey's, called 'The Soul of Blues Harmonica', the song good morning blues is brilliant! Plus you have very many Blues singers/players like John Mayall and early 1960s Moody Blues to choose from :)

http://www.bluesharp.ca/

Elodie

Last edited:

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, the one I always played around our bonfires was Piano Man. I would have my neck brace for it. It was sing along. I used to do Heart of Gold by Neil Young and people sang along.

Tup Goodhue was a well known pop and blues harpster and a good friend of mine. I met him while he lived in New Hampshire and owned Goodhue Marina on Lake Winnipisaukee (spelling?) and we would jam to just bluesy progression. he could follow anything. He was great. He moved down here (FL) and he came to many of our famous bonfires. I lost touch about 23 years ago.
Wonder where he is?

ETA: forgot the L in gold.

Last edited:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Greensleeves?

I'd Google for "old folk songs."

Vincent

Cheers
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, thanks all. You've given me some good ideas, at a point where I was stuck for a long time. Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.