PDA

View Full Version : Writer's envy

Kentuk
02-07-2007, 06:54 AM
Occasionally watching the tube I see an ad that makes me say "Wish I'd written that". Does this ever happen to you. Post examples.

"Wouldn't you rather have a tatoo?"

thethinker42
02-07-2007, 07:11 AM
Occasionally watch the tube I see an ad that makes me say "Wish I'd written that". Does this ever happen to you. Post examples.

All the time, but the one that immediately jumps to mind is Elizabeth Haydon's character, Achmed, from the "Rhapsody" series. I'm still kicking myself that I didn't think of him first. I HEART ACHMED. (and just once, I wish he'd punch Rhapsody in the mouth, but that's another rant...)

inanna
02-07-2007, 07:25 AM
One time in a crit group this girl came up with a brilliant description of Lucifer's eyes that to this day I wish I had thought of first. I'll never be able to use it or even paraphrase it. It haunts me. Kind of neurotic of me, really.

Judg
02-07-2007, 08:07 AM
Oh yeah. All the time. Almost any time Ursula Le Guin describes something, for instance.

Akuma
02-07-2007, 08:11 AM
Head On--apply directly to the forehead.

WildScribe
02-07-2007, 08:13 AM
Sometimes I spot an amazing metaphor in a book. Nothing pops to mind, though.

MajorDrums
02-07-2007, 04:40 PM
Head On--apply directly to the forehead.

Haha!!

limitedtimeauthor
02-07-2007, 06:30 PM
Absolutely, Kentuk! The Mac/PC commercials!!!

How I wish I had thought of that - "Mac" is a young, hip, good-looking guy, but also easy-going, good-natured... The PC guy is nice but dweeby and always coming down with viruses or stalling out in the middle of a sentence.

Not only do I find these commercials to be so enjoyable that I actually look forward to seeing them, but they're also marketing GOLD.

Many commercials that are memorable and funny/entertaining are not actually great advertising because you remember the funny parts but you can't remember what the ad was for. Having "Mac" and "PC" as characters directly connects the concepts in your mind. Also, some commercials do make the connection, but it's negative! (For instance, if Mac was ruthlessly making fun of PC, instead of being a nice guy and "getting along" with him, I would NOT respond well to it.)

I've been a diehard PC user for years. Guess what computers I'm going to look at the next time I shop for one???

Anyway - Yeah. Bad case of writer's AND marketer's envy here. :D

ltd.

JeanneTGC
02-07-2007, 06:43 PM
I love almost all the various Budweiser and Jack in the Box ads. And the Cat Herder one from a few years ago. The Men of the Square Table ads from Miller. Pretty much, if the ad makes me laugh or do a major "awwwww", I really like it.

Doesn't make me buy the products, however. (And as a 20+ year direct marketer, it means the ads aren't as effective as one that motivates a purchasing response. :D )

MidnightMuse
02-07-2007, 07:49 PM
I wish I could take credit for the movie Memento.

KCathy
02-07-2007, 09:30 PM
I'm envious of anyone who has published and somewhat successfully sold a printing of any book at all. I'm hoping the fact that I use that feeling to fuel ambition instead of making plans to hunt the author down with a stapler mitigates the childishness of it.

I have a history of using negative emotions for good things, though. I once befriended a girl simply because my boyfriend at the time broke up with me to date her. I disliked feeling jealous of her, got to know her, and gained a now-10-year-old friendship worth about 20 of old what's-his-name. So maybe I can use this envy for good, too?

latoya
02-07-2007, 09:36 PM
I wish I could take credit for the movie Memento.I feel like that about Identity.

Shadow_Ferret
02-07-2007, 09:58 PM
I envy everything ever written.

kristie911
02-07-2007, 10:11 PM
Since I know I could never write stuff for television I'm not normally jealous of it or see something that I wish I had come up with. But even in books I normally just think, "Wow, that was really great. They're really talented." But it's more awe than jealousy.

kristie911
02-07-2007, 10:13 PM
I envy everything ever written.

Awww...don't envy my insightful and beautifully written post, Shadow.

It's a gift. :D

Kate Thornton
02-07-2007, 10:17 PM
Every time I read another book by J.A. Jance, Carl Hiassen or Larry Niven, I feel envy and wish I'd written that. Oh, and The Da Vinci Code - wish I'd written that, too.

Shadow_Ferret
02-07-2007, 10:32 PM
Awww...don't envy my insightful and beautifully written post, Shadow.

It's a gift. :D

Actually, I meant anything written where the writer achieves either monetary recompense or critical acclaim or best-seller status, or ... that sort of thing.

But your post was beautiful. Wish I'd written it.

Anonymisty
02-07-2007, 11:37 PM
We watched The Lost Room on SciFi last month. The story revolved around everyday objects that had extraordinary powers, all of which needed to be brought together to cause some amazing event to occur. I remember being so irritated that such a simple concept hadn't popped into my head first.

Maprilynne
02-08-2007, 12:03 AM
I just have one. There is a book called "Rules of Engagement" (I don't think it's out yet) in which two spinster aunts in victorian England find a book called "Rules of Engagement" which is all battle strategies, and they think it is rules for romantic engagement. So they set out matchmaking and arrnagting relationships according to these battle rules.

It sounds hilarious and the first time I read it I did think, Man, I wish I'd thought of that!

Maprilynne

jodiodi
02-08-2007, 12:09 AM
I feel like that about Identity.

Loved that movie!

I remember reading Summer of Night by Dan Simmons when I was much younger and thinking how I wished I could write like that. I could smell the just-mowed summer grass and the barbeque as he talked about them. I also wish I'd thought of The Shining and The Sixth Sense. Oh, and The Red Violin, too.

Cat Scratch
02-08-2007, 01:21 AM
I have a history of using negative emotions for good things, though. I once befriended a girl simply because my boyfriend at the time broke up with me to date her. I disliked feeling jealous of her, got to know her, and gained a now-10-year-old friendship worth about 20 of old what's-his-name. So maybe I can use this envy for good, too?

I did the same thing! Only the guy didn't dump me for her--they just dated after me and I went out of my way to befriend her so she knew I had no hard feelings. We became best friends, and she was eventually a bridesmaid in my wedding!

Er, back to your regularly scheduled thread, already in progress.

Akuma
02-08-2007, 04:38 AM
Absolutely, Kentuk! The Mac/PC commercials!!!

How I wish I had thought of that - "Mac" is a young, hip, good-looking guy, but also easy-going, good-natured... The PC guy is nice but dweeby and always coming down with viruses or stalling out in the middle of a sentence.

Not only do I find these commercials to be so enjoyable that I actually look forward to seeing them, but they're also marketing GOLD.

Many commercials that are memorable and funny/entertaining are not actually great advertising because you remember the funny parts but you can't remember what the ad was for. Having "Mac" and "PC" as characters directly connects the concepts in your mind. Also, some commercials do make the connection, but it's negative! (For instance, if Mac was ruthlessly making fun of PC, instead of being a nice guy and "getting along" with him, I would NOT respond well to it.)

I've been a diehard PC user for years. Guess what computers I'm going to look at the next time I shop for one???

Anyway - Yeah. Bad case of writer's AND marketer's envy here. :D

ltd.

As a hardcore PC lover, I have mixed feelings about the commercials. They're brilliant and funny, definitely memorable.

But...it's straight-up propaganda.

Although it is true that Mac doesn't get any viruses.
I'm serious when I say nobody bothers making viruses for a Mac. :tongue

KCathy
02-08-2007, 05:03 AM
I normally just think, "Wow, that was really great. They're really talented." But it's more awe than jealousy.

lol, that's how I feel when I'm playing Contract Bridge and an 80-year-old lady who can barely see her cards through her bifocals executes a brilliant strategem to kick my butt halfway to Egypt. I'll just lean back, smile, and say, "Holy cow, Marge, that was amazing."

TrainofThought
02-08-2007, 05:36 AM
I see ads and stories shaking my head in shame for not being that brilliant.

The first ad was simple, yet to the point. ingle ells ingle ells. Donít forget the J&B for the holidays.

I thought the Sprint commercial during the Super Bowl was clever: Connectile Dysfunction.

In a fictional storytelling class, a girl wrote a paper describing a banana split in a sexual way. It was great.

I think ideas for some movies are brilliant as stated above, Identity, Dead Again, and the V for Vendetta release came at a good time.

limitedtimeauthor
02-08-2007, 07:44 AM
Oh, and I experienced a bit of writer's envy when I read the entries in the Freelance Assignment Contest (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53256)! I couldn't even vote for myself, darn it. :D

(Every member can vote.)

ltd.

Susie
02-08-2007, 07:47 AM
I would love to have written "Marjorie Morningstar." What a great book and so romantic.

virtue_summer
02-08-2007, 09:19 AM
I don't usually feel that way about commercials. Most ads on television make me feel the opposite. I wish nobody had thought of them. On the other hand, I have had this feeling with books. I almost always have it when it comes to Stephen King. It's not so much his ideas but his characters. I would love to be able to write people like that.

Mandy-Jane
02-08-2007, 02:56 PM
I wish I had written almost every play I've seen.

Dixie
02-08-2007, 09:47 PM
I wish I had thought of Mandy-Janes signature! :D

But seriously there have been so many times I've heard a song on the radio or something written that I sit there and think- gosh why didn't I write that?

And oddly I'll have an idea in my head, but I never materialize it. Then the next thing I know someone else has had success with a very similar idea- if not better than I one I left lying around in my brain.

dreamsofnever
02-08-2007, 11:03 PM

that is awesome! I did the same thing with a girl that I strongly disliked and felt a little jealous of, and now we're great friends and I adore her. Only, it was a wee bit more complicated-a guy I had been dating broke up with me because he didn't want a relationship and then 9 months later, he's engaged to this girl. And she also once dated my current fiance, so the jealousy/dislike kinda had more than one reason, for both of us. lol.

(and yes, life is sometimes stranger than fiction!)

NCRomanceWriter
02-09-2007, 07:36 AM
I wish I had written "The Lake House" ... sigh

Mandy-Jane
02-09-2007, 09:07 AM
My sister and her husband just came back from a holiday in India. While they were away, she wrote a diary, retyped it when she got back home, and gave everyone in the family a copy. I've got to tell you, I wish I had written it. It is funny, informative, entertaining...... and the girl doesn't even call herself a writer! It is so good, I so wish I had written it.

Shadow_Ferret
02-09-2007, 05:12 PM
I just thought of a few books I wish I'd written:

Real Men Don't Eat Quiche
The History of Farting
2000 Insults for Every Occassion
Just for the Pun of it

I'm all about enlightenment.