Bank Robber's PM?

maddythemad

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so I am officially scared to click on that link sent to me by Bank Robber (especially as he/she seems to now be banned.) It looks like a lot of you guys got the PM as well.

So? What was it? (Come on, somebody must be braver than me. ;)

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
it was an invitation to another messageboard. i took one look at the other people he sent it to and smashed my monitor with a sledge hammer.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't look, but I waited a while before deleting. I was hoping someone would start a thread saying not to open it b4 I deleted. I tried looking at the profile, but it wouldn't let me for some reason.

JDCrayne

Indonesian Yak Keeper
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pacificsites.com
I admit that I DID think about it, but I have a rule that I can't play on the forums unless I've done my 500 words a day. Adding another message board would mean another 500 words. Nope, I'll pass.

I didn't realize that a banned user name could still access the messaging system. Are they just banned from posting?

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
He didn't get banned until after he sent it. He had two mods in his mailing list :D I checked the forum, it's real, Bank Robber is user #1 and an admin there. They have 134 members, we have over 10k. I'm sure he thought this would be a happy hunting ground.

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
*shrugs* Just looks like a message board to me. True, I don't have time for another one, but it seems harmless enough.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
It was really weird that when I tried to look a the profile (to see if this was a regular poster in a genre I didn't usually look at or something), I got an error message that said I wasn't allowed to do that. The message also said I might not have the ability to post anymore, & really worried me (but I could post so it was all good).

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I wouldn't worry about that. I think it just relates to the Robber not having posted on the forum yet so his profile page didn't exist (or something like that)

Deleted member 42

I suspect it was because you hit the moment Bank Robber was being banned.

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Heh. The second it popped up, I forwarded it to Mac. This must be (wait) the second time I've gotten PM spam. I love how she referred to the spammer as an "it."

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
I got that PM and reported it immediately. There were several dozen members targeted, just from what I could see. I would imagine there were more than that, though.

A lot more.

I wonder how it's even possible for Bank Robber to have done that, since there's a message at the top of the Private Message thingy that says you can only send a message to 5 people at a time. I wonder if the individual was some kind of hacker, and what other kinds of damage he or she could have done.

Bothersome, to be sure.

:(

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
Heh. The second it popped up, I forwarded it to Mac. This must be (wait) the second time I've gotten PM spam. I love how she referred to the spammer as an "it."

Mac must have sent us the same PM. She referred to the spammer as 'it' in the PM I received, as well.

:D

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It may be harmless, but it's bad form to do that.

Plus, I think it might even be in Da Rules...

Here's what Da Rules have to say about it. I've added the emphasis for clarity.

From Newbie's Guide to Absolute Write, Post #1: Don't use AW to spruik for other writers' forums.
JennaGlatzer said:
Edit Signature: Your signature, if you choose to have one, appears on every post you make. Here's what it says in the instructions: "(Please note: It's perfectly fine to link to your blog, personal site, book info, etc., but we're not too fond of it when people use this forum to try to attract traffic to other writers' forums. Thanks for your consideration.)"

Post #4: If you're going to advertise, do it in the Announcements... Forum, and nowhere else.
JennaGlatzer said:
ADVERTISING: If your post is meant to promote your site, your new book, your course, your editing service, your blog, your writing contest, etc., there is ONE PLACE you can post it-- here, on the Announcements, Events, and Self-Promotion board. Thinly-veiled advertisements count, too. The members here will see right through you, I promise.

Bank Robber knew the promotion wasn't on the up-and-up. Otherwise, why go to the trouble of PM's, when a new thread would've done the trick?

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
I always call Spammers "it"--they want to act like bots, then I'll think of 'em that way.

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
I got his pm too and knew the moment I read his username Bank Robber, his pm wouldn't be good. I just deleted it.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
He didn't get banned until after he sent it. He had two mods in his mailing list :D I checked the forum, it's real, Bank Robber is user #1 and an admin there. They have 134 members, we have over 10k. I'm sure he thought this would be a happy hunting ground.

I got that PM and saw that a bunch of others got it too, presumably including ubermods who ban spammers instantaneously. But I didn't see this thread until now.

Being the net.vigilante that I am, I immediately went to the site just after getting the spam (and looked at the whois for that domain, the registration is private), there's a 'guest' area where you can post without registering. I did so (with some other name and email address, though if the spammer is reading this, it now knows I was the one posting) with a topic "You are a spammer" and in less than a minute the topic line was edited to something like "THIS IS A NICE PLACE." Posting there was clearly a losing battle, so I stopped wasting my time. But I did see that my mention of Orlando Bloom in the body of the post was left there. So there.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
We've reset some permissions, folks, since I sort of expect to see more scripts running to spam via PM. Many of you will remember the recent XXX spam with the, ummm, unlikely endowed photo included in the body of the PM?

We'd already disabled images in PMs, as a result of that. At this point, we've also removed the ability of members awaiting email confirmation to send PMs, and we've reduced to 1 the number of PMs that can be sent at once by a member with less than 50 posts--so new members won't be able to PM more than one person at a time.

Sorry about the restrictions. I don't really like it. But I like spam even less.

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds perfectly reasonable. Make the spammers really have to work at it.

There's something to be said for having only a few members on a board, though. Spammers don't usually bother if your membership is less than fifty or so. Popular places like AW must make them salivate just thinking of all those target--uh... members they could approach.

It doesn't take long for them to find out that our mods are just as efficient as they are pleasant. (Well, unless Pete and Carrie get there first.)

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Dang it. The spammers never PM me. I must not look approachable enough. Perhaps if I swapped the Yorkie out for a Poodle?