Word to PDF conversion question

Pookiestoop

Registered
Reaction score
Hi. I want to know what to do with my Word document that I want to convert to Adboe pdf. I have Adboe Reader, but I cannot find out how to convert. Perhaps I don't have the right program?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You need a PDF converter. There's some online versions, as well as some freeware you can download. Just Google for "PDF converter" and you should find several sites.

acousticgroupie

Registered
Reaction score
yeah or the full adobe. i got mine through a friend. there are some freebies out there.

Georganna Hancock

she's back!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writers-edge.info
Adobe's Reader is just that, a free program with which anyone can read any .PDF file. To create a .PDF file, purchase the Adobe software, Acrobat for the best results.

Anthony Ravenscroft

Scribble, scribble, scribble
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.crossquarter.com
Okay, it's been a while, but this sounds familiar. I recall using a proprietary utility called Distiller.

The Adobe stuff is expensive, & I don't recommend using stolen software. However, if all you're trying to do is convert textfiles to text images, you hardly need all the power of the Adobe products, & there are some very good distillers out there. If you're going to be doing lots of pages or extensive graphics, then be professional & buy the whole Acrobat suite -- if you just want to screw around or convert one file, there are certainly cheaper ways. (The Adobe site used to allow a freebie, so you could play with it a little before buying. No idea if this is still true.)

RichHelms

@BookTrailer101
Registered
Reaction score
Website
booktrailer101.info
Distiller is part of the Adobe Acrobat system. It is for converting EPS.

I have also used a product called PDF995 for years. It is called PDF995 as the converter is $9.95 to purchase or run the free version which shows an ad each time you use it

http://www.pdf995.com/

Dai Alanye

Banned
Reaction score
Website
alanye.com
If you use Open Office Writer (shareware) it contains a PDF converter that does an excellent job, altho perhaps not a perfect one. As I recall, when I converted a 170,000 word file a few months ago a small number of errors might have shown up.

Saving Open Office as DOC files also works but more errors result, often in conjunction with italics.

jawar

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gojawar.com
PDF CONVERTER

Downloads.com offers a number of sources for downloading free software. Perhaps on download.com is where you'll find a free pdf application. I've also included a number of pdf applications in the make money self publishing professional package. While I've never used any stores such as Office Depot, Office Max, Staples, etc. often sell inexpensive software that may do the job as well. Typically they have software that sells for as low as $5.99.

robertmblevins

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.escapevelocitymagazine.com
I use Adobe pro 8, but I know a couple of people who keep accounts over at Lulu.com just to convert ms. for free. They check the box that says 'available only to me' when they 'publish' their book, and then when they download the PDF, they just delete the book...

Tom Johnson

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www15.brinkster.com
Ever since we purchased Vista, our Adobe quit working, and we haven't been able to reinstall it. We've called HP, went to Adobe, etc., and still nothing. We're about ready to chuck Vista and go back to XP. Of course, this could simply mean that I don't know what I'm doing (g). Let's face it, I'll never build a rocket ship in my back yard!

james1611

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamessomers.blogspot.com
If you want a free and easy way...

If you want to do it free and easy then just pop over to Lulu.com, create a free account and take your manuscript through the publishing wizard. the second step is uploading your manuscript into their pdf converter. It will do it for you and then give you a preview file which you can save from the sight...no problem. You don't have to go any further with it than that if you don't want to.

James :)

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
If you want to do it free and easy then just pop over to Lulu.com, create a free account and take your manuscript through the publishing wizard. . . .
However, your file is then stored on Lulu's server, and you might not be able to delete it. Maybe there is no risk to that.

--Ken

robertmblevins

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.escapevelocitymagazine.com
I was only half-serious about the Use-Lulu-to-Create-PDF's, but actually there is a good use for Lulu.

If you publish through Lightning Source, you can obtain copies much cheaper, however CORRECTIONS to the source file cost nearly $500, even if it means adding a missing period to a sentence.

Some publishers keep accounts at Lulu to check print proofs, checking the box when they publish the book that says, 'available only to me'. Then, you order a proof and check it thoroughly. When you get it right, delete the book from Lulu and upload it to LSI...