Do you have another art form? (the Renaissance Man concept)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KCathy

Writer when I grow up
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.catherinebusinelle.com
I've seen a couple of you mention photography or acting in addition to your writing dreams or accomplishments. It makes perfect sense to me that a person who loves beauty enough to try to distill and disseminate it would enjoy more than one method of expression.

Our society doesn't seem to believe that, though, does it? I mean, don't we tend to mock the singer who tries to act or the actor who tries to write? ("Oh, he just found a publisher because he's already famous.") Even well-known authors in one genre often use pseudonyms if they want to write romances instead of mysteries for a while. We just don't seem to believe da Vinci and Michelangelo are possible anymore. What do you think? And what would your other art form(s) be if you could write and do something else?

Sorry for posting so many philosophical questions lately! I'm not used to being around people who take writing seriously, though, and your responses to these ideas are fascinating to me. Babble away; I'm listening!

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
I write and do other things - but the other things are hobbies. :)

I play guitar a little and sing. I enjoy photography.

I am totally berift of talent in drawing or painting and that is the gift in others I admire most.

finch

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vocroth.com
I've been both a professional musician and a professional actor. It's been my experience that artists tend to have several means of expression, but one primary outlet that they are (or believe they are) most effective with.

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I sing some (on my own/church choir, nothing major) & I enjoy cross-stitch, though that's more craft than art (though I do have some of my own designs I'd like to put on paper some day).

I can't work on more than one major project at once, though, so my latest big cross-stitch has been stalled for several months now.

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
I like acting as well, but writing is my passion. Oh yeah, I like to sing, but I don't think I'm talented enough to really go anywhere with it.

AndreaGS

Registered
Reaction score
Website
andreagstewart.com
I paint a good deal and studied Economics in university.

I think in today's world, becoming a renaissance man/woman is more difficult. Our knowledge base has expanded with new advances in research and technology. In order to become proficient, a person has to do a great deal of studying. It just seems like becoming exceptional in more than one field takes more time than most people have.

I think it would be easier to excel in art and writing than writing and physics.

Azure Skye

Huh?
Registered
Reaction score
Once upon a time, I was an actor. I have a BA in theatre, empahsis on acting (and dance). It's been a while since I've been on stage. My passions always seem to go toward the arts. My family is full of musicians and I seem to have a natural inclination toward music. I've attempted several instruments. And then there's drawing. And writing. And photography.

A few years back I had to make a decision: pick one thing and stick to it. I was getting tired of the title, Jack of all trades, master of none. That was when I chose to put all of my efforts into the craft of writing. When I made this decision, I was teaching myself to play the piano among other things. Funny thing about writing is there is just so much to learn. I have a feeling that won't change. So, I might start hitting the keyboard again -- I love music.

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
Ever since I was very young, I've wanted to play the piano. My parents gave me a secondhand piano for my eighteenth birthday. I took lessons for almost two years before I started college.

Now I am finally continuing a partial rebuild of the old piano to try to get it to play better. When I'm finished I'm going to start practicing again because I still want to be able to play. Unfortunately, I have no musical talent, so it's kind of a chore but I hope to get pretty good someday.

allen

Willowmound

Lightly salted
Registered
Reaction score
Are computer games an art form? If so, I am well accomplished.

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
I make jewelry, including making my own beads (out of polymer clay - I wanted to learn glassworking, but don't have a place at the moment where I can safely work with an open flame.) I also crochet a little. I love music, but my musical talent seems to be limited to making mix CDs. Jimmy Page doesn't have to worry about me usurping his "Rock God" throne anytime soon :)

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
I've been a painter all my life, and I even make a few dollars doing pet portraits. My siblings and I all dabble in more than one art form. My brother is a fine artist but concentrates on music (he has a great band in Buffalo). My sister is a musical playwright, a costume designer and also does these super 3-D multi-media copper and wire wall sculptures. Robert Redford's daughter bought one!
I'm the only one who writes as well as paints. I have yet to be acclaimed for either, but hell, I'm not dead yet. Oops, I shouldn't have said that; I'll probably be famous AFTER I'm dead.

weatherfield

Registered
Reaction score
For the first two years of college, I majored in studio art. I even sold some sculpture, but my level of artisitc ability just wasn't on par with my writing ability (or interest), so after the second year, I changed my major. I still draw occasionally and make shadow boxes, but not with the same frequency as when I was younger. Now, if I want to do something with my hands, I usually knit or sew.

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
Besides writing, I write music, play piano and guitar, sing (always wanted to be a back-up singer, never a soloist), sew, quilt, crochet, needlepoint, do counted crosstitch, knit, decorate, and am an excellent cook (my only true talent, imo). I have degrees in journalism, nursing and English and am planning my next degrees. I don't know if that qualifies me for anything.

TsukiRyoko

Forced into cell phone life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tsuki-explodes.blogspot.com
In addition to writing, I'm a drummer, a pianist, I love using charcoal (though I'm definately not the best at it *grumble grumble*) and graphite. I've also wanted to get into photography for quite some time, but money's too tight to do it myself, and I'll be damned before I go back to the public highschool. Guess we're mired for the time being, eh? :) I cook (rabidly), I crochet (not very well, but I can make a mile long scarf. I'm not too interested in advancing my crocheting abilities because, frankly, a scarf's all I need:D). I LOVE creating new colors and designs with hair dye. I also do a lot of bead crafts. I'm also fond of using looms. What are you giving me that look for- they're fun!

I've also tried my hand at acting, but I'm not that great at it (I can't control laughing at sarcasm and such. It gets me every time. Last play I was in, someone else had to manipulate my lines because I was on the floor laughing.)

Last edited:

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
I'm a professional photographer.

I also sculpt and paint scale model horses (realistic, very detailed...it's an extremely competitive hobby...examples of work that's WAY better than mine can be found at http://elksbugle.com/gallery.html, though I do own some of the pieces on that site). I can't draw or paint on the flat to save my life, but I love painting in 3D.

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I love trying to capture beauty. I've done figure skating for about 30 years, and am a professional skating instructor (part-time) in addition to being a writer. I also enjoy photography, and recently submitted a photo with a poem I wrote (fingers crossed). I love music, and play the piano, guitar, and ukelelee. And one of my former businesses was creating made-to-order handbags for women (they pick the fabric, trim, style, etc.).

About the only creative thing I'd never try is acting; I have rarely enjoyed performing for people.

Last edited:

Sassenach

5 W's & an H
Registered
Reaction score
There are very few true Renaissance people. Writing and then having another creative hobby doesn't equal that in my opinion.

RG570

Registered
Reaction score
I have been a guitarist for longer than I've been writing, and spend ridiculous amounts of time on both. I don't consider any of them as mere hobbies.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Having more than one passion does not make a true Renaissance person. But yes, I do. I don't consider my writing "art". It's my creative outlet. I have other means of artistic expression that qualify as "art" that are both hobbies and bring money in.

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
I find that I also want to be an artist. I've sold a few drawings in the past, but I really wish I could be more accomplished at that... as well as someday being a published writer.

I especially enjoy drawing--what else?--dragons.

Although I am starting to understand the human form more, and have in the past exercised that understanding to a greater extent. Perhaps soon I will pick up the colored pencil again and do more artwork. I've got plenty of time on my hands; I really have no reason not to continue drawing.

Cat Scratch

The Peacock Next Door
Registered
Reaction score
I dance, act, and sing. I see them all as different facets of the same thing: they're all different forms of storytelling. I think this is why all of them attract me.

Status
Not open for further replies.