PDA

View Full Version : Reading time vs word length.

Anonymous Traveler
02-07-2007, 12:15 AM
I know that some people read novels in a blink while others, like me, struggle down a page. I think I type faster than I read.

What does novel length translate out to in reading time?

I have been listening to classical music all day and marvel how composers can take a theme, and IMHO work it to death and remain famous for centuries. If I repeat a thought or a phrase I'm pounced on. On the other hand my words are the orchestra and can be performed anywhere.

Sassenach
02-07-2007, 12:45 AM
What does novel length translate out to in reading time?

Why do people insist on asking questions for which there are so obviously no answers? It's one of the great AW mysteries.

Shadow_Ferret
02-07-2007, 12:48 AM
Why do people insist on answering questions with questions? :)

jodiodi
02-07-2007, 01:16 AM
I read very fast and can read any of my five completed first drafts within a single evening, but none of them are <112,000 words (Average is ~120,000). I figure that's a decent length to fill in an empty evening of reading.

Maybe I misunderstood the question ...?

scarletpeaches
02-07-2007, 01:19 AM
I can write a book in under a week, but it takes six months or so to read it.

No, wait...

stormie
02-07-2007, 01:22 AM
Okay, here's my take on the question.

If I enjoy the book, I usually want to read it slowly and capture the feelings of the characters and visualize the setting, such as with Jane Eyre. But on the other hand, there are books I enjoy that I read fast, such as any of Janet Evanovitch's. I really don't need to savor it. (I'm usually laughing too hard anyway.)

On the other hand, if I find the book dull, but I want to try to finish it, it becomes tedious and I have to reread the page maybe three times to have it register. If that happens too often, though, I end up throwing it across the room. You should see the walls in this house....

So--final answer: It depends.:Shrug:

Anonymous Traveler
02-07-2007, 01:40 AM
So--final answer: It depends.:Shrug:

Yep I agree, just wanted to see if I was missing something targeting book size.

Absolute definitive cast in stone maybe, works for me...

Willowmound
02-07-2007, 03:03 AM
I have been listening to classical music all day and marvel how composers can take a theme, and IMHO work it to death and remain famous for centuries. If I repeat a thought or a phrase I'm pounced on.

Because music is fundamentally different from a written work of fiction. You're comparing different kinds of fruit here.

Anonymous Traveler
02-07-2007, 03:15 AM
You're comparing different kinds of fruit here.

True, just venting. I'll stick it out here, composing is way too complicated for me.