PDA

View Full Version : Waiting. Meh.

Penguin Queen
02-06-2007, 05:01 PM
Not a rejection, as such, it's just that I'm waiting for four separate lots of poeple to get back to me about fairly big things right now, & I'm climbing the walls. I hate waiting. :(
Oh. Any my day-boring-office-job has gone up in smoke. Figuratuvely, not literally. So I'll have to look for something to pay the rent, pretty sharpish.

I'm waiting for

one literary agency who asked to see the full MS of my mystery novel to get back to me & put me out of my misery
one editor, ditto
one funding body to come back & say whether or not they will give me the money to promote my first-ever book that will be out this summer, or not; and
one university to come back & tell me whether they might accept me into their MA programme although I havent got a BA to start with. Now I know that all of this could be much worse, and that there is quite a bit of potential here and who-knows-what in the pipeline, it's just the longer I wait & nothing happens, the more unreal it all becomes.

Meh.

Successful waiting tips, anyone?

*Thank you for listening to me whinge*

giftedrhonda
02-06-2007, 05:11 PM
UGH...the waiting thing sucks.

Keep your mind busy - focus on working on something new!!

Saundra Julian
02-06-2007, 05:23 PM
You have a lot going on...Hang in there and think positive! Good luck on everything...:D

johnzakour
02-06-2007, 05:37 PM
Yeah, waiting can be the hardest part of being a writer.

I'm in the same boat, waiting to hear if I got a gig writing my first movie with a significant budget.

Work on other projects, watch mindless TV (I love mindless TV), hit your punching bag. (If you don't have a punching bag, I suggest buying one they are great to let out a little pent up frustration from waiting.)

To quote Tom Petty, "the waiting is the hardest part..."

CaroGirl
02-06-2007, 07:44 PM
No tips from me. I'm waiting too. It's excruciating and, without much actual success to speak of, I feel like I'm just waiting for rejections.

Best of luck to you. I hope you hear positive things back from every direction!

Maprilynne
02-06-2007, 08:44 PM
I have no tips. I'm waiting too (see my sig.) and I pretty much suck at it.

But if it makes you feel any better, we're all waiting.

Good Luck on the rent thing. (gulp!)

Maprilynne

Jamesaritchie
02-06-2007, 08:56 PM
I'm in the same boat, waiting to hear if I got a gig writing my first movie with a significant budget.

.."

Good luck. I've now had four scripts optioned, and they're all just sitting there waiting for someone to actually do something with them.

I won't bore you with it, but something happened with one of these scripts that would make any sane writer avoid Hollywood completely. Truly the craziest thing I've ever heard. Fortunately, I don't claim to be sane, so I'm working on yet another script.

Penguin Queen
02-06-2007, 09:00 PM
Thank you all :)

I like the punchbag idea. (Ive just been for a run & feel a bit better, & I'll be going for a swim tonight.)

@Maprilynne, yes -- I'd noticed the sig line earlier, I love it! :D

@johnzakour -- Damn. I thought it was the writing that was the hardest. Now someone tells me. :tongue

:popcorn: <------------ PQ, waiting quietly. ;)

Freckles
02-06-2007, 10:36 PM
I immerse myself in some good old TV while I wait...you'd be surprised how fast the time passes!

MidnightMuse
02-07-2007, 12:17 AM
Rum, pacing, a good martini and writing the next story is the only way I get through.

Did I mention Rum?

janetbellinger
02-07-2007, 12:24 AM
Good luck. It must be nerve wracking if your day job is gone.

Just Me
02-07-2007, 01:16 AM
I can't offer much advice, but I can certainly sympathize. Right now, I'm out of work and waiting for replies to half a dozen queries. Sigh.

My cat is helpful, though. If I get too preoccupied, she tends to either snuggle me or do something really annoying so that I can't wallow in misery anymore. :tongue Maybe you should borrow a cat.

Will Lavender
02-07-2007, 04:44 AM
I know exactly how you feel, PQ.

I've been waiting on pins and needles for three weeks. My agent has submitted my manuscript; last week, I had conference calls with a few editors from pretty big-time houses.

The calls went well, I thought.

I haven't heard anything for five days.

This...is...brutal!

The only advice I'd give you is: keep refreshing your e-mail. There's something hypnotic about it. :)