Pain killers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mud Dauber

writing on the wall
Registered
Reaction score
Can anyone toss out a few names of popular pain killers, either over-the-counter or prescription, that would cause the same symptoms as being really drunk (stumbling, slurring words, etc.)? I need something for my character that wouldn't necessarily knock him out, but make him really drowsy and incoherent, appearing drunk.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
It would take either a lot, or something powerful, to produce that kind of incoherence. A few Oxycontin might do it, or my personal favorite, Demerol. Another is Dilaudid (Hydromorphone) hard to obtain, but a great favorite among junkies.

Speck

From the Wikipedia entry "Analgesic":

"In the United States in recent years, however, there has been a wave of new addictions to prescription narcotics such as oxycodone (OxyContin) and hydrocodone (Vicodin, Lortab etc.) when available in pure formulations as opposed to combined with other medications (as in Percocet which contains both oxycodone and acetaminophen/paracetamol). Hydrocodone is only available in pure form in some European countries as the original hydrocodone pharmaceutical, Dicodid tablets. Far from reducing addiction liability, the paracetamol content of many codeine, dihydrocodeine, hydrocodone, and oxycodone pharmaceuticals in the United States only saddles users with the high risk of severe liver damage, and extraction of the opioids with cold water or solvents reduces this problem for the sophisticated abuser, self-medicator, and legitimate prescription holder alike. [citation needed] Most hydrocodone, codeine, and dihydrocodeine cough syrups available in the United States also contain active ingredients which are dangerous in overdose. [citation needed]"

JanDarby

Registered
Reaction score
It depends on the person's tolerance. Vicodin and Percocet are narcotics like Oxycodone, and some people can pop them like candy (Dr. House on the tv show, for one), but others among us (me) can barely take a half dose, and even then it causes serious impairment. Vicodin and Percocet are both prescribed routinely (perhaps too routinely) for things like soft-tissue injury from auto accidents and -- Vicodin in particular -- root canals.

JD

Jenan Mac

The Deadliest Bunny
Registered
Reaction score
I have to tell you, Vicodin is some amazing stuff. I just had some rather nasty oral surgery and was prescribed 1-2 every 6 hours for pain. One makes me hallucinate. Two and I'd probably be thinking I was the Blessed Virgin and scrapbooking a baby book for Jesus.

Southern_girl29

Registered
Reaction score
When I was in labor, I was given Stadol. I will never take it again, because of how drunk I felt. Actually, it was more than being drunk. My family said I acted like I was possesed. One minute, I was so sweet and the next I was the girl from the exorcist. I don't have a lot of memories that night, either.

Sandi LeFaucheur

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sandilefaucheur.com
I take Fiorinol C1/2 for headaches. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. They definitely slow down your thought processes. Took one at work and I couldn't figure out how to work the photocopier. Just stood there staring at it. I should imagine if you had a low tolerance or if you were stupid enough to take more than one, they'd make you act drunk.

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
I'm one of those people who can take Vicodin and get some pain relief out of it, but not be impaired in the least. Percocet, on the other hand, turns me into an immobile lump of very happy Jello.

Mud Dauber

writing on the wall
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you everyone. Vicodin was the first thing that came to mind, but I know nothing about it... It helps hearing everyone's personal experience. And Speck, thank you for the Wikipedia paragraph, though I have to admit after I read it, I was like, 'what the...?' LOL I can't understand that jargon. I still haven't had coffee yet, maybe that's why. Or else I'm just stupid.

Thanks again.:)

Petroglyph

gestating a plot
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen people hallucinate with Stadol.

Does it need to be oral, or could the person be shooting up?

Mud Dauber

writing on the wall
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen people hallucinate with Stadol.

Does it need to be oral, or could the person be shooting up?

Definitely oral. And preferably something commonly used for other ailments or pains. My character isn't a junkie or anything like that, but he does have issues with drinking. I need it for a scene where his love interest mistakes him as drunk.

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
I take prescription Vicodin. It knocks out the pain, but gives me bad dreams.
It does not seem to impair me when I am awake.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
Another is Dilaudid (Hydromorphone) hard to obtain, but a great favorite among junkies.

Not so hard to obtain if you have allergies.

I'm allergic to every painkiller out there EXCEPT hydromorphone (and any other variation of morphine). I had it when I had my wisdom teeth out, for a minor knee surgery, and after a minor car accident, because there's simply nothing else I can take.

It's a bit of a PITA to convince docs that it's all you can take, and it takes some arm-twisting, but it's not as difficult as one might think. It's not like they make you take a lie-detector test. Once I tell them that Codeine makes my throat start closing and I break out in hives when I take Percocet, they're pretty quick to write the RX for Dilaudid. They sometimes look at me like I'm a junkie, and they roll their eyes, but they do write the RX. It really isn't much harder to acquire than any other painkiller out there.

ETA: Disclaimer -- I realized after I wrote it that it almost reads like a how-to guide for the wannabe Dilaudid junkie. Not intended as such...just to help the OP get his character some drugs. LOL BTW...taking one or two of these can DEFINITELY make you loopy.

Last edited:

Mud Dauber

writing on the wall
Registered
Reaction score
ETA: Disclaimer -- I realized after I wrote it that it almost reads like a how-to guide for the wannabe Dilaudid junkie. Not intended as such...just to help the OP get his character some drugs. LOL BTW...taking one or two of these can DEFINITELY make you loopy.
Just to clarify... I am a she.;)

Come Back Kid

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Super Member:
Soma is what you are seeking. It is a muscle relaxer and can make you act like a drunk.
Jim

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
I'll second Soma. We used to call it a 'Soma Coma', and it will seriously make you unable to walk. I like percosets (sp?) too, but the effect is not near as strong or fast.

Not like I do drugs or anything...

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
Soma?

Soma sounded familiar, but as a drug in some SF story I read a long time ago (Ray Bradbury?) ...

I checked, then, on Medline. If you have your MC take soma, you should know it's generic name is ...
Carisoprodol
(kar eye soe proe' dole)

Why is this medication prescribed?

Carisoprodol, a muscle relaxant, is used with rest, physical therapy, and other measures to relax muscles and relieve pain and discomfort caused by strains, sprains, and other muscle injuries.
This medication is sometimes prescribed for other uses; ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information.

How should this medicine be used?
Carisoprodol comes as a tablet to take by mouth. It usually is taken three times daily and at bedtime. It may be taken with or without food. Take carisoprodol exactly as directed. Do not take more or less of it or take it more often than prescribed by your doctor.

What special precautions should I follow?
Before taking carisoprodol,
· tell your doctor and pharmacist if you are allergic to carisoprodol, meprobamate (Equanil, Meprospan, Miltown, Neuramate), or any other drugs.
· tell your doctor and pharmacist what prescription and nonprescription medications you are taking, especially medications for allergies, coughs, or colds; muscle relaxants; sedatives; sleeping pills; tranquilizers; and vitamins.
· tell your doctor if you have or have ever had kidney or liver disease.
· tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding. If you become pregnant while taking carisoprodol, call your doctor.
· you should know that this drug may make you drowsy. Do not drive a car or operate machinery until you know how carisoprodol affects you.
· remember that alcohol can add to the drowsiness caused by this drug.

What special dietary instructions should I follow?
Carisoprodol may cause an upset stomach. Take carisoprodol with food or milk.

What side effects can this medication cause?
Carisoprodol may cause side effects. Tell your doctor if any of these symptoms are severe or do not go away:
· drowsiness
· dizziness
· clumsiness
· headache
· fast heart rate
· upset stomach
· vomiting
· skin rash
If you experience any of the following symptoms, call your doctor immediately:
· difficulty breathing
· fever
· weakness
· burning in the eyes

ColoradoGuy

I've seen worse.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com
If you want the person more incoherent and stuporous than knocked out, one of the benzodiazepine class of drugs (e.g. Valium, Ativan) would probably be better than a narcotic (e.g. Oxycontin, Vicodin, Dilaudid), particularly if you want some amnesia later for the time under the influence of the drug.

The bottom line is that responses to all of these agents are quite variable among different people, particularly the dose needed to achieve a given mental state. So you can pretty much do whatever your plot requires.

Rabe

the living dead
Registered
Reaction score
After my knee surgery I was given Percocet. Which made me very happy until it wore off in which case I crashed to the point of passing out. If I didn't 'overlap' doses then I would be out for quite a while. Which was good for pain relief!

When I was in the car accident, they were giving me primarily Vicodin and there were some VERY bad trips assosciated with that (and I made the mistake - while under the influence of Vicodin - of telling a freind about the trips...I've STILL not heard the end of it!) It's to the point where I put up with MAJOR pain before I'd pop another Vicodin because of the way it made me feel drunken and then would hallucinate.

I was told in the emergency room to keep my Vicodin well guarded as it was a favorite for pill poppers (which I already knew) and that my experiences were exactly what they wanted. So I guess it does matter a lot on the person.

But the great part about being the writer is you get to 'fudge it' to have the reaction you want.

Rabe...

tela

Registered
Reaction score
My husband once took Clonazepam, an anticonvulsant med I believe, before going to bed, for the next day and a half he couldn't walk in a straight line, stand with out swaying or talk with out slurring.

Status
Not open for further replies.