PDA

View Full Version : Decent rejection, but...

RG570
02-06-2007, 06:54 AM
I just got a rejection that I'm actually not hating right now, which is rare. The editor's digs were that the narrative felt a little stiff, and that somehow using character's names instead of "he/she" (something I actively avoid doing too much because it's annoying), would tighten the point of view.

Now, I've never dealt with concrete advice from an editor before. Should I revise or send it out again? I really can't decide. I'm working on something new at the moment and really don't want to get bogged down in a previous project. But I don't know, maybe this is a big problem with the manuscript. It's hard to know what is the editor's personal taste and what is a fatal flaw in my story.

KCathy
02-06-2007, 09:03 AM
Congratulations on writing something so well that the editor bothered to make a suggestion for improvement! That's "rung two" on the rejection ladder and so much better than the form letters that could mean anything from "AWESOME but we just published ten books about that" to "Wow, I don't want to be mean, so I'll send a form letter instead of telling this chick to go to cooking school." Obviously this editor thinks there's enough of value in your writing to comment on what would make it work. Well done!

As for the questions, I'm a rank newbie and not even remotely qualified to answer, so forgive me for not foisting my lack of expertise on you by making something up that sounds good. On the other hand, those sound like questions that are up to you anyway, so maybe my ignorance won't matter as much as what you think.

Is it worth it to you to take the time to mess with a previous project and knock it back to the helpful editor when you're knee-deep in something else? Do you think it's personal taste on the ed's part or something that you could improve?

Good luck and congrats again!

Chumplet
02-06-2007, 09:05 AM
I just got feedback from an editor to REDUCE the use of the characters' names, because they appear too many times in a page. Maybe just make the changes in half the instances, then resubmit?

As far as the narrative goes, since I haven't read your MS, perhaps you could just use more contractions to loosen things up a little, and see how it goes.

johnzakour
02-06-2007, 09:16 AM
Since you're working on something else send it out a few more times and see what happens. Gather feedback from those submissions, than rewrite if needed based on that feedback.

Penguin Queen
02-06-2007, 04:54 PM
Is it a short story or something longer?

I guess it depends how you feel about the piece, but I would reckon with detailed feedback like that, it's definitely worth going over it, tweaking and stuff & sending it out again.

Hillgate
02-06-2007, 04:54 PM
I just got a rejection that I'm actually not hating right now, which is rare. The editor's digs were that the narrative felt a little stiff, and that somehow using character's names instead of "he/she" (something I actively avoid doing too much because it's annoying), would tighten the point of view.

Now, I've never dealt with concrete advice from an editor before. Should I revise or send it out again? I really can't decide. I'm working on something new at the moment and really don't want to get bogged down in a previous project. But I don't know, maybe this is a big problem with the manuscript. It's hard to know what is the editor's personal taste and what is a fatal flaw in my story.

At least you know it's good, which is half the battle. The 'digs' don't sound like digs at all - they sound like genuine advice.

Good luck with it:)