Are you freakin' kidding me?!

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I watched all that football for a couple of decent commercials, a very lame half-time show and 6 turnovers in the first half.

This is just sad... :(

maddythemad

Registered
Reaction score
I watched all that football for a couple of decent commercials, a very lame half-time show and 6 turnovers in the first half.

This is just sad... :(

You know what's sad? I watched the Superbowl with my then-boyfriend last year, and I still don't know what a turnover is.

But sorry the game is sucking (if I read correctly that that's what your post means.) Why not go do something else? Or better yet, crash the neighbor's super bowl party with some awesome movies and a ton of food, and get a real party started! ;)

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
The super what? (I don't have a TV, and I'm not sorry!)

Reaction score
I guess I'm mostly disappointed in the half-time show...it really sucked.

Actually it was a brilliant performance by one of our greatest musicians on planet earth.

Sorry we didn't have Slayer or Motorhead playing for you.

Prince was F'ing amazing.

The rain pouring down. Awesome.

After U2 in 2002, the best halftime show ever.

Reaction score
First review....

http://www.cinemablend.com/music/Music-Review-Prince-s-Super-Bowl-XLI-Halftime-Show-2657.html

After Devin Hester’s record-breaking touchdown within the first 15 seconds of Super Bowl XLI, it seemed that the game’s high point had piqued at the very beginning. (Billy Joel’s attempt at belting out the National Anthem was an official low point, so a jolt back to consciousness was welcomed). But then Prince busted on stage during the halftime show, wearing a fitted blue suit and a black do-rag, and I realized there was plenty more good to come.

Nobody can put on a spectacle quite with the ease of Prince, who began the show with fireworks and harmonious chanting to “We Will Rock You,” as he strolled onto a stage shaped like his bizarre, unpronounceable symbol and cranked out “Let’s Go Crazy.” And everyone in the crowd did. Here is a man who is 48 years old and doesn’t look a day older than he did when he beckoned us to “party like it’s 1999.” Whatever anti-aging cream the guy had tailor-made in a lab, he really ought to share it with the general public.

Prince did a lot of boogieing and guitar-jamming onstage, soon segueing into “Rolling Down The River” with a choreographed marching band working its magic on the field. Considering the way Prince's fingers flew across the guitar, it’s mind-boggling that he never once peeked at them to make sure he hadn’t lost his way. Equally surprising is when he started playing “Best Of You,” serving up a more melodic version than the highly popular Foo Fighters rendition filled with fits of shrieking.

When Prince switched his guitar and the lights dimmed, it became clear he was going to churn out one of his classics. My money was on “When Doves Cry.” Nope. He crooned, “I never meant to cause you any sorrow…” and just like that, we were hearing his classic ditty “Purple Rain.” Appropriately, purple lights emitted from the stage (and well, it also happened to be raining…nice touch!) and the crowd whipped out their lighters in prime concert-going fashion.

But it’s Prince, so it wasn’t going to stop there: Next up, a huge beaming yellow cloth blew onto the stage, leaving a shadowy silhouette of the diminutive singer rapidly moving his fingers up and down his guitar. When the camera flashed to the field, we could see the marching band suddenly radiating iridescent hues from their red uniforms. You weren't expecting any kind of subtlety here, were you?

All the people by the stage (lucky bastards) were having a blast and applauding like crazy as Prince wrapped up his powerhouse set. This much instantly became clear: After all these years, Prince can still put on a show like no other.

And he didn’t even have to expose a breast to get our attention.

Good job,

9piju.jpg

Reaction score
Sorry, but it's not a debatable topic.

The guy is/was amazing.

Who would you guys have liked to perform?

Nick Lachey?

Christina Aguilera?

Shakira?

Nelly Furtado?

Please don't criticize unless you're willing to offer an alternative plan.

'Nuff said.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not into rock music so I can't think of anyone I'd want to hear in that category.

ETA: I like singers you've probably never heard of.

Reaction score
Another review...what do ya know....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/02/04/AR2007020401179.html

Prince Rocks Super Bowl Halftime Show

Musically, the diminutive, erstwhile prodigy from Minneapolis kept it old-school, rockin' the house with "Purple Rain" and other golden hits.

He delivered one of the best Super Bowl halftime shows _ ever.
Consequently, he didn't come across as a painfully safe choice _ or a has-been, the rap against the previous couple of Super Bowl halftime acts, Paul McCartney and the Rolling Stones.

Washington Post...

"Prince Rocks Super Bowl Halftime Show"

"He delivers one of the best Super Bowl halftime shows...EVER"

Man, I'm getting tired of being right.

It really does exhaust me sometimes.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I don't like Prince...never have, never will. I guess the beauty of it is, I don't have to.

I'm glad you liked it, Billy. I didn't. I'm still very disappointed in the whole thing.

My-Immortal

Mr. Invisible
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry Billy...I wasn't really impressed. It started out exciting, but the middle couple of songs seemed really slow and only slightly picked up with Purple Rain. As for him playing...I don't know much about guitar playing, but there were quite a few times when I thought he was playing, and then he'd raise his hands and the music continued to play - was it prerecorded music with him miming the playing?

I'm not saying he isn't talented....I just thought the half-time show would have been more upbeat.

Dixie

Registered
Reaction score
Ive never liked prince myself. There is just something wrong about a guy that wears heavy eyeliner and an Aunt Jamima rag, and can sing like he's been castrated. Sorry there is just something not right about that at all.

I personally liked U2 much better. I would like to see Evanescence perform. I've noticed in recent years they have alot of 'has-been' performers. Why not let these people's careers die a dignified death?

Speck

All in your taste ...

It all depends on your taste. I'm a long time fan of Prince, and I think the show was excellent.

Prince was and still is a musician's musician. If your taste is strictly entertainment, you can still enjoy his show but to the musically inclined there's more to this little guy than most realize.

My-Immortal

Mr. Invisible
Registered
Reaction score
It all depends on your taste. I'm a long time fan of Prince, and I think the show was excellent.

Prince was and still is a musician's musician. If your taste is strictly entertainment, you can still enjoy his show but to the musically inclined there's more to this little guy than most realize.

I agree. Honestly, I'm rather indifferent to Prince. I don't know a lot of his music - some songs I like, some <shrugs>. There was nothing really wrong with anything that he did - but for a halftime show for the Super Bowl, I guess I expected something with a little more beat, speed, 'excitement' etc. Overall...the lightshow and fireworks seemed more exciting than the music (instead of the other way around)...if that makes any sense.

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
It was an okay halftime show. I expected it to be better than it was. There were a couple of times, where it seemed pre-recorded. The music continued in between guitar changes. Someone else mentioned that. So, I'm not the only one who noticed that.

ETA: The lighting and marching band/techno was awesome. Nice to not see ward-robe malfunctions.

His voice is still quite good.

Reaction score
Sorry Billy...I wasn't really impressed.

No one ever need apologize when it comes to art and how they felt about it.

It's all subjective.

If someone says "I didn't like it. " or "I'm not a fan of Prince" etc...

That's fine with me.

When people say ridiculous things like "The Halftime show sucked" is when I take issue, especially when history already is and will continue to say differently.

And when people don't offer up a "this is who and what I would have like to have seen" that's even worse.

Because if someone says "It sucked" they better well put themselves out there and tell us what they would have like to have seen so we can ridicule them.

This is the Superbowl. It's not a small club in NYC or some arena in St. Louis or wherever.

The person performing needs to command the worldwide stage and deliver.

"I'd like to see Evanescence perform"

LOL...yeah..my new favorite group is The Hold Steady. I'd like to see them perform more than Prince, but it's the Superbowl.

I like the Strokes, for example, better than I like Prince, but I don't want to see them nor could they pull off a halftime show. Evanescene performs, the crowd and the world sits there going "Hah?"

Prince kicked butt.

He's an amazing performer and he was awesome tonight.

That's not opinion, that's a fact, in my opinion.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Southern_girl29

Registered
Reaction score
I enjoyed the half-time show, too, but I love Prince. I also enjoyed Billy Joel's version of the national anthem. I love Prince (even though his music isn't normally what I listen to), so of course, I liked it. I guess it all depends upon your tastes.