Honest to goodness question about teens at AW...

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
does it trouble anyone else that there are young teens here?

or is this just me?

kids interacting openly w random adults bothers me.

and there's actually no label under their usernname or sig or anything that says that theyre kids.

its still strange to me.

:Shrug:

Last edited:

tourdeforce

Banned
Reaction score
I know that it bothers Chris Hansen so much that an upcoming Dateline - To Catch a Predator is going to target the AW Poetry forum (heads up Haskins!).

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No. It doesn't bother me at all.

They won't be teens forever - better they learn what they learn here from us than out on the mean streets.

I remember being a teen. I was usually the youngest among a group of adults so I don't find it strange - it looks normal to me.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It doesn't bother me even slightly, and I had teens, very active online, until fairly recently. I behave online just as I would face to face, as do many people here. We don't hesitate to notify a moderator if something feels fishy or wrong, even if nothing clearly inappropriate has happened yet but it appears to be heading that direction.

Because this site is well moderated, and many adults are vigilant, any kids here are safe. Not to mention the fact that the ones I know a bit seem capable of taking care of themselves.

Maryn, EveryMom

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
If this site weren't as well moderated as it is, then maybe. But w/ Mac running the place, no concerns here.

And like Maryn pointed out, plenty of us are vigilant. If we spot a problem, we'd/I'd report it, ASAP.

The kids that are here, are very safe.

tourdeforce

Banned
Reaction score
I am sure any problems are reported to moderators ASAP.

In fact, I am sure that even things that aren't problems are reported to moderators ASAP.

Reaction score
Teens can't write.

No, wait, I'm thinking about myself, eleven or more years ago.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Teens are very much welcome here. They can handle themselves rather well, most of the time. If there's any problem, the mods are here.

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
This is one of the few sites on the Web that I would be okay with my 14-year-old visiting. I know that everyone here watches out for everyone else, and I'd bet dollars to donuts that inappropriate posts aimed at the Young Ones are flagged and reported by at least dozen people each time.

This is very different from something like MySpace, where you've basically got unsupervised kids posting their personal information out there for zillions of people to read and see.

Reaction score
Teens are very much welcome here. They can handle themselves rather well, most of the time. If there's any problem, the mods are here.

That, in itself, may be a problem while typing. Just keep them out of the erotica forum.

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
I am sure any problems are reported to moderators ASAP.

In fact, I am sure that even things that aren't problems are reported to moderators ASAP.

this is actually another side to it.

since they are underage, people have to be vigilant - maybe even too vigilant, making assumptions about conversations (esp ones that occur in OP or TIO).

that doesnt seem fair since the poster might not know he/she was dealing w a teen.

Last edited:

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
That's the issue with the Internet. You don't know who's behind the avatar. For all we know, Bravo could be a teenage girl posing as James Dean. Or a self-proclaimed teen could be a dirty old man. But this is a community and we watch out for each other and do our best to alert others of inappropriate behaviors. There's always a decorum -- remember, even if every member here is of age, the posts here are still "in public view" and readily cacheable by Google. So it's always a good idea to think twice before you post something.

Now if you're talking about "private" PMs or saying inappropriate or sexual things to people of whose identity you're not sure, my suggestion is -- don't.

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
That's the issue with the Internet. You don't know who's behind the avatar. For all we know, Bravo could be a teenage girl posing as James Dean.

you promised not to tell anyone.

:(

maddythemad

Registered
Reaction score
I would hope that said teenagers would be smart enough to report harassing or anything like that.

I would.

(No I WON'T tell you where I live, actually.)

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I would hope that members realise they are on a site with children. It is a matter of trying to act appropriately and reporting anyone who is not.

'Would I say this with a 13 year old in the room', is a useful thought to have, somtimes.

And it is good to draw attention to this. In speaking with the regulars I know I often forget it myself.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Then again, we don't want anyone to have to hold back at all times and make this board into a G-rated board about flowers and cute animals only. There's a balance somewhere...

We need to remember, this is a writers' board, first and foremost. The other stuff (Office Party, TIO, etc.) are there for diversion and entertainment. I think it helps if we remind ourselves the purpose of this board.

Last edited:
Reaction score
does it trouble anyone else that there are young teens here?

Forge AW, it troubles me that there are teens on the planet.

IMO they should be quarintined in Alaska, away from the general population, until they reach the age of 18 and then slowly reintegrated into society after passing driving, behavioral, skill, common sense, and intelligence tests. If they don't pass, they must stay in Alaska until they do. If they still haven't passed by their 25 birthdays, they can leave Alaska but must wear an ankle monitoring device so we can track their every move.

But maybe that's just me.

Luke flees the scene

philosopher.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com

IMO they should be quarintined in Alaska, away from the general population, until they reach the age of 18 and then slowly reintegrated into society after passing driving, behavioral, skill, common sense, and intelligence tests. If they don't pass, they must stay in Alaska until they do. If they still haven't passed by their 25 birthdays, they can leave Alaska but must wear an ankle monitoring device so we can track their every move.

Just remember, you were a teenager once.

Last edited:

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I like teenagers, especially insightful, thoughtful, and smart ones. It's a pleasure watching them examine the bits and pieces of their inner selves, judge them, and discard or keep them for use in assembling the adult model. It's every bit as fascinating as watching babies discover the world. You cringe when you see a teenager make a bad call about living like a pig, or going out with that guy, but the process of building the adult self out of all available parts allows discards well into the twenties.

Maryn, whose building analogy grew cumbersome

tourdeforce

Banned
Reaction score
Speaking on behalf of the New York families, we will back your plan, billy.

Next steps?

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beyondtourism.wordpress.com

This is after they survive Alaska, no?