PDA

View Full Version : Time to Change the Synopsis

C.bronco
02-04-2007, 05:57 AM
I've got an intricate plot, and, even as pared down as I had it, the one page deal seemed too confusing. I've started sending it out with my easy to follow three page synopsis.
Was this a bad move? Do you think agents will resent me?

ChaosTitan
02-04-2007, 08:13 AM
I don't know about resent, but not sending the requested materials is a quick way to a form rejection. :(

Cut all of the subplots out of the synopsis. Concentrate on the main character. If you can't pare down the plot for a one-page synopsis, the packager will have a heck of a time writing the jacket blurb.

Sage
02-04-2007, 08:28 AM
I feel for you C. Bronco. I've spent so much time on a synopsis, & the best I could do was three pages. I can do a paragraph query-type synopsis that doesn't include the end, but with the end, there's so much in between that I feel needs adding to make sense. Oh, well, guess I'll keep working on it.

Shadow_Ferret
02-05-2007, 06:43 PM
If they ask for a one page synposis and you send a three page synopsis, I think they'll look at you as though you can't follow directions.

Send them what they ask for.

If you need help, post it in the Share Your Work area for analysis.

Manat
02-05-2007, 07:28 PM
Have you double spaced or single spaced? If they don't specify double space for the synopsis most places seem to accept single space. My synopsis is always single space unless the submission guidelines state otherwise and I've never had a problem with it.

C.bronco
02-05-2007, 11:47 PM
I'm single spaced. I do have an okay one page synopsis (it took several versions to get it that way, and I did cut out all of the sub-plots). But, I know the three page version is better, and the plot elements seem less far-fetched.
I wouldn't send the three page version if the agents specifically asked for one page, or one paragraph.