Dialogue help

Status
Not open for further replies.

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
Hello, everyone --

My agent (now ex-) sent my mss to around 20 top publishing houses, and the great majority of editorial responses were favorable (but no takers). The only criticism that came up more than once was the fact that the dialogue was somewhat "stilted." This criticism was always prefaced by an acknowledgement that, yes, the editor understood that I was trying to get across the flavor of the period, BUT ...

So, my question is: Can you recommend a novel set c. 1912 with a young female (25 years old) New England* protagonist that I can read/learn from? I'm looking for a novel that handles the "authentic voice of the time" vs. "natural dialogue" problem well.

Thanks in advance!

*doesn't have to be NE, per se, but general American (i.e. no heavily Southern-belle-type voice)

blackpen

Bizzare in Berkeley
Registered
Reaction score
there is a lot of ya fiction that centers around female progagonists in a historical setting. however, not many are about 25 year olds and not a lot of novels happen in the 1910's.
i read a lot of historical fiction and i've noticed that while the characters don't use modern slang, the author doesn't go out to make their dialog sound all archaic either.
perhaps the stilted dialog is a stylistic issue that dosn't have much to do with the time period you're writing about. maybe you could post samples of your dialog on the share your work forum, and critique circle is a great site.
good luck!

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Haven't got...

copies to hand but isn't Theodore Dreisler's stuff set around that time - like 'Carrie'?

Also Gene Stratton Porter wrote a series of books that are wholesome turn of the C and later about rural young women and /or families.

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
leeannsontheimermurphywriterauthor.blogspot.com
copies to hand but isn't Theodore Dreisler's stuff set around that time - like 'Carrie'?

Also Gene Stratton Porter wrote a series of books that are wholesome turn of the C and later about rural young women and /or families.

"Sister Carrie" is set in a major city but about the right time period.

Dreiser's "An American Tragedy" might help but the time frame of most of the novel is later than 1912.

What about Irving's "Cider House Rules"

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score

funidream

Registered
Reaction score
Also look into reading journals or personal narratives from your time period.

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
Instead of looking for a book written about the time period, look at some from the time period. I'm sure some of those books on the list are about contemporaneous events.

Also look into reading journals or personal narratives from your time period.

That's not going to help me, I'm afraid -- because that is what I did originally, and although I thought I loosened up the language/dialogue a little bit for modern sensibilities, it still came out "stiff."

No one has questioned the authenticity of the protagonist's voice -- the editors have, instead, raised the issue of being too stiff/formal/old-fashioned.

That is why I was asking for help in locating a contemporary book that kept the historical flavor without running into my problem with voice/dialogue.

I'll check out Gene Stratton Porter -- thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.