Van Halen tour

How long before the Van Halen reunuion implodes?

• 17 minutes into the first show, Eddie will walk off stage

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • 2 weeks into the tour, Eddie will fire Roth and replace him with Kip Winger

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • They will make it through the tour but Eddie will vow never to work with Roth again

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • They are back together for the rest of Eddie's life (3 years)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Who cares about Van Halen, I'm seeing the Police reunion

Votes: 5 22.7%

• Total voters

tourdeforce

Banned
Reaction score
The rumors were true. Van Halen will reunite with original singer David Lee Roth for a summer tour of North America.

"I am very excited to get back to the core of what made Van Halen," guitarist Eddie Van Halen said in a statement posted Friday on the band's Web site announcing a 40 city tour. No specific dates have been named.

It will be the first time that Roth performs live with the band since 1984, when he was replaced by Sammy Hagar. A brief reunion with Roth in 1996 resulted in two new songs but no tour.

Original bassist Michael Anthony will not be a part of the reunion. Late last year he was replaced by Eddie Van Halen's 15-year-old son Wolfgang.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070203...jgEm9F1ezZxFb8C;_ylu=X3oDMTA0cDJlYmhvBHNlYwM-

Last edited:

tourdeforce

Banned
Reaction score
Whoever the one person is that voted for The Police, make sure to catch them on the Grammy's on Sunday!

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay I was blissfully unaware of this. I think Roth's carreer would have been improved by a strategic death. He'd be revered now. As it is he is a shadow of his former self. No, Sam is the way to go. No doubt about it. I am glad Mike is opting out of this train wreck. I have so few bubbles left from my teens. Why did you have to tell me about this? I loved Van Halen, deeply. I even met Eddie, when I was 18. He was very good to me. He even set me up with tickets to a concert. i have to remind myself of that. But I am disapointed to hear about a renunion with Roth. And his son is playing bass? He better be really good, or that will just look bad. I am basically writing the first thing to comes to mind so I am sure this post is rambling.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I see in the news release that they will be inducted into the Hall of Fame in March! YAY! I know I sound harsh in that last post, but I so deeply loved Van Halen as a kid. I can't even describe it. I prefer Sam to Dave. It is just that I see this as more reaching at marketing straws than a true reunion. I like Dave's stuff too. Though I stand by my statement that he is a shadow of his former self.

ETA: Oh, and you should have had another option for the poll: 5 minutes into it Ed and Alex will pine for Sam and Mike.

I am curious how well the kid plays.

Last edited:

WriterInChains

Feed my eyes
Registered
Reaction score
I loved VanHalen too -- which is exactly why I won't be going to see this new tour, or intentionally listening to any new songs (if they materialize, which I seriously doubt). I saw their '81 show, back when Dave was doing Russian Splits off the towers and their sound was tight enough to bounce a quarter off -- as far as I'm concerned, VanHalen ceased to exist as soon as Dave left.

Never thought I'd say this, but it looks like Mike is the only one with two brain cells left to rub together.

Reaction score
On March 12 Van Halen will be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame at a ceremony in New York.

I would have voted for poll option...

"After rehearsing for and performing at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame ceremony, the tour is canceled and Eddie vows never to work with Roth again."

Mud Dauber

writing on the wall
Registered
Reaction score
Well, OU812 is what made me a fan, so Sammy is my man, but I've always liked DLR's songs, too. However, the one thing I'm certain of that will prevent me from seeing them on this reunion tour is price. I guarantee you tickets will be minimum $100, in which case I'll just have to catch the reviews in the papers.:tongue

But I can't wait to see the Hall of Fame inductions next month. That ought to be verrrrry interesting since I'm assuming both frontmen will show up!

Inkdaub

wrapped in plastic
Registered
Reaction score
Past where the river bends, past where the silo st
What's the story with Michael Anthony?

Okay I read a bit. Seems Ed just fired him and plugged in the kid. I remember seeing so many interviews with Ed where he claimed Roth was the troublemaker...but I think it was always Ed. I think Ed is just an asshole and noone can deal with him except Alex. Well, if the kid lives up the Van Halen genes...hell even half way lives up to them...he'll be fine. Ed is one of the greatest guitarists of all time, if not the greatest, and Alex is a great drummer in his own right.

Last edited:

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
Inkdaub, I think you're right about Eddie, but at least he's incredibly talented. David Lee Roth might be easier to get along with, but he's still David Lee Roth!

man, this is the most depressing reunion tour since the Sex Pistols got back together.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
LOL Dclary! Thanks for the update.
What's the story with Michael Anthony?
He's a cool guy who knows the score. Also, he's been hanging out a lot with Sammy. Maybe he picked sides. *Shrug*
Okay I read a bit. Seems Ed just fired him and plugged in the kid. I remember seeing so many interviews with Ed where he claimed Roth was the troublemaker...but I think it was always Ed. I think Ed is just an asshole and noone can deal with him except Alex. Well, if the kid lives up the Van Halen genes...hell even half way lives up to them...he'll be fine. Ed is one of the greatest guitarists of all time, if not the greatest, and Alex is a great drummer in his own right.

well, first, I met Eddie and he was very kind to me, so I always remind myself of that. I think Eddie wants the limelight, and he wants control. But you can't have a strong band without a strong front man, no matter how talented a guitar player you are. I think the band has floundered becuase Ed clashes with the strong front men he needs.

ETA: BTW that's a Sammy Hagar shirt I'm wearin' in my avatar. :D

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I really dug Van Halen right from the first time I heard Eddie play Eruption. He is a virtuoso guitarist, one of those few people who changed how their instrument is played.

David Lee Roth is a goofball. He never grew past 17 years old emotionally. Eddie ... well, he's the artistic genius and if you don't do things his way, you're out. At least that's how it's always seemed.

As for Eddie's son playing bass ... Michael Anthony was not an exceptional bass player by any stretch of the imagination. He was, however, solid as heck and played the right way for that band. So as long as Wolfie listens to dad, it'll be fine.

But I still voted for 17 minutes and gone.

Reaction score
I was cautiously optimisticly looking forward to it....

13527272-13527274-large.jpg

:(

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry Billy. I was harsh, but if I thought they were doing it for the right reasons, i would be excited to. I so loved Van Halen when I was young.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A Rolling Stone article on this from a few weeks ago:

Van Halen plot reunion

Some interesting tidbits about why Michael Anthony won't be there, plus a few rather raucous comments from readers. :D

ETA: I just found this on Wikipedia:

February 20, 2007: It was reported that the planned summer 2007 tour with David Lee Roth annouced on February 2nd, is now postponed indefinitely. It is also believed that a Rhino Records album release of Roth-era Best of songs has been shelved
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Halen

Guess there should have been a "won't even play a single note" option in the poll.

Last edited:

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
From the article Chunky posted... (not the wiki one.)
For his part, Hagar — who split with the band in 1996 and clashed with Eddie on a 2004 reunion tour — says he will be there. “Everyone wants to see a good train wreck, but I’d rather see a beautiful flight,” he says. “I’d have no problem sharing a stage with David.”
This is a big part of why I follow still follow Sammy and but was oblivious to a Dave/VanHalen reunion. Sam deserves to be inducted on his own merit, but being inducted with Van Halen is better than nothin'.

Eddie says that Michael Anthony is no longer in the group because of his decision to tour with Hagar as the Other Half. “Anthony and Hagar started their own band,” says Eddie. “You can’t be in two bands.”
Why? SInce when? See, that's why VanHalen is tumultous, while other bands stay together. All the members of Bon Jovi, for instance, have side projects. That is why they can still be together. They have other outlets, they get away from each other for a while, so when they come back together they are refreshed and renewed and stronger. Ugh!

Eddie says that the band is determined to tour this summer, whether Roth is on board or not. “There’s not just one person on this planet that can sing,” he says. “We’re not waiting on nothing.”
Um...I don't care how strong you are as musicians, you need a strong, dynamic front man...(or woman, but um...not so much in this case.)

I'd like to see a reunion with Dave too, if I thought they were doing it for the right reasons.

I'll shut up now.

Last edited:

tourdeforce

Banned
Reaction score
Van Halen fails to show at its own induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Has the reunion imploded already?

Only Van Halen's second lead singer, Sammy Hagar, and ex-bass player Michael Anthony turned up for their induction. Guitarist Eddie Van Halen has just gone into rehab and original lead singer David Lee Roth stayed away in a tiff over what he would perform.

Hagar said he wished his bandmates could be there, but "it's out of our control."

"It's hard for Mike and I to be up here to do this, but you couldn't have kept me away from this with a shotgun," Hagar said.

It took less to keep Roth away. He stood up the hall, reportedly because he couldn't agree on what to sing with the band Velvet Revolver, which offered a tribute. Joel Peresman, president and CEO of the Hall of Fame, said Roth was offered a chance to sing a song of his choice with the house band. "The decision not to come was solely his, not ours."

Hagar and Anthony joined Velvet Revolver to sing "Why Can't This Be Love."

http://music.yahoo.com/read/news/40843152

With Eddie in rehab and Roth throwing hissy fits, why do they even bother trying?

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Dave took on a knife wielding burglar and defeated him in combat.
You lost me here.
tourdeforce said:
Van Halen fails to show at its own induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
The grand irony, Eddie and Alex and Dave probably all dreamed of being in the rock n' roll hall of fame when they were young, and they ruined it for themselves. Not to mention souring it for those who showed up, Sam and Mike. :(

Last edited:

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
Would've been nice to see Diamond Dave, but I wasn't about to hold my breath for a VH reunion. Now a Led Zeppelin reunion, That is something I'd looooove to see.