PDA

View Full Version : What publications/magazines do you subscribe to?

Dixie
02-03-2007, 04:38 AM
LAst weekend I went to Hastings and I picked up a couple of magazines. One was Writers and Poets. I thought why the hell not? As I thumbed through it, reading some articles and skipping over others, I thought about what other writing oriented magazines are out there. No better way to find out than to ask what magazines do writers subscribe to.

So, what magazines do you subscribe to or read on a regular basis?

Marlys
02-03-2007, 05:10 AM
Oh, wow. Let me look:

The Advocate
Bicycling
Blender
Computer Shopper
Details
Eating Well
Entertainment Weekly
Esquire
Indianapolis Monthly
Men's Journal
Men's Vogue
National Geographic
Out
Outside
PC Gamer
Premiere
Romance Writers Report
Runner's World
Running Times
Smithsonian
Sports Illustrated
Time
Variety

So, more than twenty, and only one is writing-related. I used to subscribe to Writer's Digest, but didn't think it was worth it.

Soccer Mom
02-03-2007, 07:12 AM
Whoa, Marlys! You are the magazine queen. Let's see, I read Smithsonian, National Geographic, SI, Country Living, I think that might be it.

K1P1
02-03-2007, 08:07 AM
Subscribe:
National Geographic
New Yorker
Architectural Digest
Yankee
Economist
Knitters
Interweave Knits
Spin Off

Read:
Are you kidding? I sometimes look at the pictures.

jodiodi
02-03-2007, 11:04 AM
Southern Living
Bon Appetit
Gourmet
Cuisine
Veranda
Cooking Light

And I get the RWA monthly journal, and the NAHQ bimonthly journal.

Sohia Rose
02-03-2007, 12:04 PM
Writer's Digest
The Writer
Time
Newsweek
People
Money
Discover
The Sun (literary mag)
Wired
Popular Science

I would love to subscribe to PRWeek, but it's $175 per yr. :rolleyes:

maestrowork
02-03-2007, 02:29 PM
Goodness, Maryls.

Men's Health
Newsweek
Time
Entertainment Weekly
Science
MacWorld
Playboy
Cinefex

DTNg
02-03-2007, 03:26 PM
Writer's Digest
People
Weight Watchers
Wine Enthusiast

Marlys
02-03-2007, 03:44 PM
Whoa, Marlys! You are the magazine queen.
:D It's how we use up our airline miles--we never have enough for upgrades or tickets, but always manage the free subscriptions.

Maryn
02-03-2007, 06:51 PM
We don't subscribe to anything except Consumer Reports. Wow, huh? But Time, Newsweek, Entertainment Weekly, People, Writer's Digest, Menu, yadda-yadda-yadda were piling up unread, so why spend the money? We let each subscription run out.

We told ourselves we'd re-subscribe to whatever ones we missed. So far, that's none. I do check the book reviews in various magazines when I'm at the dentist's office, but that's about it.

Maryn, magazine-free

Linda Adams
02-03-2007, 07:30 PM
Publisher's Weekly
Writer's Digest
The Writer
More
Style
Entertainment Weekly
Reader's Digest

scarletpeaches
02-03-2007, 07:36 PM
new!
Take a Break
That's Life
Full House
Real People

^^^ All housewifey-coffee-break-lot-of-competitions-and-stories-about-bastard-ex-husbands-and-children-with-cancer mags. (Except new! which is a cheap-as-chips, downmarket version of Hello or OK).

I'm only 30 and I've been reading them for years, simply because there's more to read in these magazines than many others. Not much advertising, more articles.

And competitions. I'll win a holiday one day, dammit!

janetbellinger
02-03-2007, 07:44 PM
I don't subscribe to any magazines at the moment, but had a Canadian Living subscription for a year which my sister gave me as a Christmas gift. I also used to get Homemakers magazine, when they sent it out free. Both are excellent magazines.

Sassenach
02-03-2007, 08:54 PM
I used to be a magazine editor and got used to getting my mags for free, so I'm loathe to pay for them. I only sub to Poets & Writers and a couple of art magazines.

limitedtimeauthor
02-03-2007, 08:59 PM
I don't subscribe to any magazines at the moment, but had a Canadian Living subscription for a year which my sister gave me as a Christmas gift. I also used to get Homemakers magazine, when they sent it out free. Both are excellent magazines.
Homemakers? That sounds great! I'm going to go run off and check it out. ETA: Oh, it's Canadian. I wonder if they like writers from the U.S.?

As for what mags I subscribe to, I've let almost all my subscriptions run out, except for a gift subscription to Birds and Blooms, which looks really pretty sitting on the coffee table.

ltd.

wordsmyth
02-03-2007, 09:07 PM
I subscribe to...

Better Homes and Gardens
Ladies Home Journal
Child
Taste of Home

I intend to subscribe to...

Everyday with Rachael Ray
Real Simple
Redbook
Woman's Day
Grand

Scribhneoir
02-03-2007, 11:01 PM
I subscribe to:

The Writer
Daily Variety
Alfred Hitchcock's Mystery Magazine
Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine
The Strand
Weight Watchers
Wild West (although I've just let my suscription lapse)

I keep getting offers to subscribe to Publishers Weekly and I'm thinking about doing it the next time an offer comes. And I might subscribe to Pages, too. I've been buying it fairly regularly off the newsstand, so maybe it's time to have it delivered.

Vincent
02-03-2007, 11:04 PM
None, but I'm thinking of subscribing to Analog.

thethinker42
02-04-2007, 12:43 AM
I'm a magazine junkie, but I don't subscribe to as much as I used to...

Shutterbug
Outdoor Photography
American Photo
Maxim
A couple of paintball mags I can't think of off the top of my head
The Morgan Horse
The Int'l Morgan Connection

I sometimes buy Writer's Digest, but not very often. For one of my oddball scrapbook projects, I frequently get Vogue, Vanity Fair, and a few others because the pictures are interesting. If I'm beefing up my reference binders for painting/sculpting horses, I'll buy whatever horse-related magazines I can find.

Otherwise, I just buy random magazines that look interesting on subjects from Archaeology to Tattoos. I'm less interested now in magazines about writing....rather, I look for those with subjects I'd like to write about! LOL

engmajor2005
02-04-2007, 01:41 AM
Game Informer is the only mag I subscribe to, but I read (courtesy of the library) Wired, The Nation, Entertainment Weekly, Rolling Stone, Electronic Gaming Monthly, Newsweek (occassionally), Time (occassionally), Consumer Reports, and Macleans. Macleans, a Canadian mag, is the best magazine in print.

dippykitty
02-04-2007, 10:14 PM
Glamour
New Woman
Cosmopolitan
Company
Reveal
MORE
New!
ACE Tennis

Dave.C.Robinson
02-04-2007, 11:43 PM
Analog
Asimov's
F&SF
Jim Baen's Universe
New Scientist

the first four in e-format.

MadScientistMatt
02-05-2007, 01:16 AM
I subscribe to Hot Rod and Grassroots Motorsports.

Namatu
02-05-2007, 03:12 AM
Natural Health. It's the only one I manage to read.

Dixie
02-05-2007, 06:52 AM
Looks like we have some magazine junkies here. Right now I currently subscribe to Ducks Unlimited and Gun Dogs. When I was younger I subscribed to all the teeny bopper magazines such as Teen, CosmoGirl, Seventeen, TeenVogue, Teen People, etc. You'd thought I was a girly-girl but I wasn't. I always got a kick out of how girls can be more worried about blemishes and read bleeding heart articles about girls starving in Africa, so-called bloopers, and which shows has the year's heart throb.

I would like to subscribe to Ducks Unlimited, Gun Dogs, Retriever Field Trial News, Hunting Retriever, Women's Health, and Cycling. I think just from that list you would guess that Im a bit of a retriever nut.

johnrobison
02-05-2007, 07:37 AM
Professional Mariner

Professional Photographer

Land Rover Lifestyle (I am a columnist)

Land Rover Monthly (I am a contributor)

Backwoods Home

W (for my mate)

Publishers Weekly

Newsweek

benbradley
02-05-2007, 07:51 AM
I subscribe to nothing at the moment, and the few I recall having subscribed to are:
Analog
Scientific American
Circuit Cellar (electronic sub).

I do read a lot of magazines, and years ago I bought many off the newsstands (such as Byte, Dr. Dobbs Journal) regularly enough that I would have saved money had I just subscribed. But I'm cheap and if I can legitimately read it for free, I usualy won't buy it. I often read magazines such as Scientific American at the library, and I'll read any newsmagazine in a waiting room. I sometimes get magazines at library sales and thrift stores, especially Fine Woodworking and any science/engineering trade magazines I see.

Oh, and I've subscribed to a pay-for-subscription booksellers/collectors email list for the past ten years. It's worth it because even if I can't find a book on any of the Internet's databases, I can ask for quotes from the booksellers there and someone has it (at some price). One great thing about the Internet, finding and buying any book you ever wanted, new/used/oop, has never been easier or cheaper.

Freckles
02-05-2007, 06:20 PM
Goodness, Maryls.

Men's Health
Newsweek
Time
Entertainment Weekly
Science
MacWorld
Playboy
Cinefex

I'm sure you only get Playboy for the article, right? ;)

Freckles
02-05-2007, 06:23 PM
Oh, here's my list:

Reader's Digest
Redbook
Woman's Day
Ladies' Home Journal
Glamour
Prevention
Time
US News
National Geographic
AARP - my mom, not me, but I still read it! ;)
US Weekly
Entertainment Weekly

Shadow_Ferret
02-05-2007, 06:26 PM
My wife gets TV Guide and People. I think the People subscription is running out.

I don't subscribe to anything because they usually sit in a pile unread. Seems like a waste of money to me. :)

arrowqueen
02-06-2007, 01:28 AM
Chat,
best.
that's life.
Take a Break.
Fiction Feast.

The ones I write for. Or used to in the case of Chat - and now 'that's life' - who have ditched their fiction and gone over to the Dark Side of 'True Life Stories.'*

* eg. 'My Granny ate my budgie then ran off with my 17-year-old toyboy.'

MidnightMuse
02-06-2007, 02:07 AM
I don't subscribe, but I read regularly:

The Lapidary Journal
and
Rock and Gem Magazine

also Cat World and Dog World :D

Solatium
02-09-2007, 01:48 PM
Hmm . . . Crisis and Weird Tales. My dad gets the Weekly Standard, the Atlantic and the New Republic and usually passes them on to me, and I sometimes pick up a Realms of Fantasy at the supermarket. That's about it.

ETA: Oh, and I look at Morbid Outlook (http://morbidoutlook.com/) every month, but mostly because they accepted some poems of mine and I'm waiting for them to show up.

Sean D. Schaffer
02-09-2007, 06:37 PM
Playboy

:rolleyes:

Okay, so I don't actually read it; I only look at the pictures.

:e2thud:

Sorry about that. I don't actually have a subscription to any magazine, but I do sometimes read the aforementioned mag. I also have been known to read Model Railroader, The Magazine of Fantasy and Science-Fiction, and once I picked up Writer's Digest but I really don't care much for it.

C.bronco
02-09-2007, 06:44 PM
Publisher's Marketplace's Free Lunch
Variety's free newsletter
sometimes Poets & Writers magazine
And for some reason, I get a lot of Cabella's catalogs in the mail. Can't say why. I get subscriptions when magazines are free.

AceTachyon
02-09-2007, 08:10 PM
No subscription but I read (when I can):
Entertainment Weekly
Starlog
Empire
Wizard
Heavy Metal (that still counts, right?)
Asimov's
F&SF
American Handgunner

I'm thinking of subscribing to Locus.

I used to subscribe to Writer's Digest, Asimov's, and F&SF, but that was years ago.

Celia Cyanide
02-10-2007, 02:53 AM
Giant
Horticulture
Antiques
Blender
Spin
Kraft Food & Family
Tips & Tricks
Electronic Gaming Monthly
Vibe
Vibe Vixen
Premier
The Green
Tango
COSMOGirl
The New York Observer
Horse Illustrated
Opera News
Windows IT Pro
Computer Shopper
Travel Leisure & Golf
Charisma
Latina
Hispanic
SEED
Body + Soul
Diet & Nutritian
Newsmax
Star
Redbook
W Jewelry
Comic Book Buyers Guide
Hollywood Life
True Confessions
Interview
Vegetarian Times

There is probably a lot more. For those interested, you can check out the bargains board and see my thread called, "How To Get Free Magazines." I got all of them for free!

Jenny
02-10-2007, 04:07 AM
Economist
Nexus
Speculations
used to subscribe to Archeology and pick up History Today
No magazine goes unread in my house - they're too expensive!

And, synchronicity, just as I'm typing this, I get an email offer from isubscribe - but I don't think Triathlete is my thing:)