Anyone Submitted to Avalon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

seaaircarol

Frustrated Pluviophile
Registered
Reaction score
I'm thinking of submitting to them, so I picked up a couple of their books at the library. I've finished one, and don't really know what to make of it. The author head-hops, which gets to be very confusing because she goes back and forth between the three female protagonists and one of the male love interests. I also didn't think the conflicts were all that compelling. The afore-mentioned male isn't sure he can fall in love with one of the women, because she doesn't *look* like the usual type he falls for. Meanwhile, she doesn't know if she can fall for him because he might be like her ex, who was very controlling.

I just wonder if I would have to revise my manuscript to include head-hopping, and to water down the conflicts!

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
It's disappointing to hear that Avalon is churning out less than stellar stuff. Maybe you should hit the used bookstore and try a few more, just to get a more general view of the whole thing.
If head-hopping is acceptable, I'll celebrate, because I'm notorious for head-hopping! I always thought it was a bad thing, unless you're really good at it.

Don't even get me started with conflict...

blackpen

Bizzare in Berkeley
Registered
Reaction score
or you could submit to another publisher! i think most novels under the "romance" genre tend to have very similar qualities. it's like there are certain requirements for the plots and characters. i think the publishers are afraid to provide anything different in that section.
i saw some danielle steel and nicholas sparks books that were definitely romance but sitting comfortably in the general fiction section. maybe you could try to market your novel as general and you may be subject to less cookie cutter romance tweaking

Susan Gable

Dreamer of dreams, teller of tales
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
I have a friend who writes for Avalon. (She also writes for HQ.) She doesn't head-hop. She writes romcom, so her conflicts are, of necessity for what she writes, lighter.

So I don't think you have to "dumb down" your ms, not at all. (You might have to "down heat" the ms. <G> I do know that happens on occasion.)

If you have any specific questions you'd like to ask, I can get her to answer them. :) Her name is Holly Jacobs.

Susan G.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
or you could submit to another publisher! i think most novels under the "romance" genre tend to have very similar qualities. it's like there are certain requirements for the plots and characters. i think the publishers are afraid to provide anything different in that section.
i saw some danielle steel and nicholas sparks books that were definitely romance but sitting comfortably in the general fiction section. maybe you could try to market your novel as general and you may be subject to less cookie cutter romance tweaking

We'll have to agree to disagree on this, blackpen. Most of the editors I know in the romance genre are complaining that they can't FIND anything different. They keep looking for unique, but keep getting rehashes of the same thing submitted. Also, keep in mind that Danielle Steele and Nicholas Sparks aren't considered romance authors. Their books lack the one true requirement of a romance novel--a "Happily Ever After" or HEA.

Don't be a bit afraid to offer something different. If the voice is strong and the plot compelling, it'll get purchased. Just ask dragonjax, one of our regulars here. Who would have thought that a demon succubus HEROINE would stand a chance on the market?! Yet, the reviewers (and the readers) are loving her "Hells Belles" which just hit the shelf. :)

I have a friend who also writes for Avalon--Sierra Donovan. You might also try her books for what the editors are looking for. Her first book, called "Love On the Air" won several awards, and her next book will be released in a few days--"Meg's Confession."

seaaircarol

Frustrated Pluviophile
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone! I think I'll try a couple of other Avalon authors--perhaps the ones you have named here.

JanDarby

Registered
Reaction score
Never, ever, ever make your stories worse than they could be. You don't want to be remembered for being "okay" or even just "published," but for being extraordinary, right? Don't worry about other people's standards; live up to your own standards.

Anyway, I've submitted to Avalon (and am waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting .... [several more "and waiting" repetitions omitted here] for a decision on the full manuscript.

The thing to remember about the books, especially when it comes to the conflict, is that these are REALLY REALLY short books. About 60K, max, or just over 200 pages, if I remember correctly. (I wrote my submission a few eons ago, and have trouble remembering what I wrote today, so I'm really iffy on what I wrote eons ago.) There's really only so much you can fit into that short a page count. Also, remember that these are extremely "sweet" romances, so that also limits how deep the conflict can be, to some degree. And finally, one book is not reflective of the whole range of what's produced by a given publisher.

I don't know if you can find them, but a friend of mine wrote a couple books for Avalon a few years ago, and they were well received. Her name is Blanche Marriott. Oh, and Lisa Mondello wrote some, and she's now gone on to a larger publisher. Blanche's are lighter; Lisa's are more angsty. But they might give a better picture of the range of the books they publish.

JD

seaaircarol

Frustrated Pluviophile
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the input, Jan. Wow, I'm sorry you've been waiting for so long!
Have you followed up yet?

blackpen

Bizzare in Berkeley
Registered
Reaction score
i don't write romance, so i have no idea what that market is like. it's interesting that only one thing can turn a romance into general fiction.
good luck everyone.

JanDarby

Registered
Reaction score
From what I understand, they're running a year or more from receipt of a full manuscript. I'm waiting until the 1-year anniversary before I follow up, so maybe I exaggerated a bit about the eons that have passed since I submitted.

JD

Susan Gable

Dreamer of dreams, teller of tales
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
Waiting seems to be the name of this game. :) No matter which publisher.

Fingers crossed for you!

Susan G.

seaaircarol

Frustrated Pluviophile
Registered
Reaction score
Avalon asked for my full, and I sent it in a few weeks ago. Now the big wait!

I'm wondering, Jan, if you ever heard?

I'm just hoping that if I get rejected after that long, they at least give some feedback. I can't imagine waiting for so long and getting a form rejection!

JanDarby

Registered
Reaction score
I'm wondering, Jan, if you ever heard?

Nope, never heard. It's been a little over a year now. Sigh.

Dunno what their turn-around is these days. Last summer, I heard (purely grapevine stuff, nothing particularly reliable) that there had been a purchasing moratorium, but that it was due to be lifted, and I think I recall seeing that there were a few first sales to Avalon toward the end of last year, but I haven't heard anything more recently than that.

JD

seaaircarol

Frustrated Pluviophile
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, sorry to hear that you're *still* waiting.

Right now my submission is an exclusive and I told them so--I wonder if this makes a difference?

It's hard to have a manuscript tied up for that long to only one publisher.

JanDarby

Registered
Reaction score
It's hard to have a manuscript tied up for that long to only one publisher.

I'm not sweating it, b/c the story I have sitting at Avalon has no other likely home. Too short for H/S or any other major publisher, too sweet for the epub venues I usually submit to, etc. So, for me, the exclusivity isn't a problem, b/c there's just nowhere else I'd consider sending it. Might as well sit in a slush pile as in a box in my closet.

Good luck with yours!

JD

Crinklish

Registered
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I know they lost an editor ages ago, and I think they had a little trouble filling that spot, so perhaps they're still backed up. It's amazing how the submissions pile up when you're down a woman (or man).

JanDarby

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, stuff happens. That's another reason why I'm not sweating that submission.

I did revisions on another manuscript for Avalon a few years ago, working with an editor who thought I was brilliant and quirky, and then she had the audacity to change careers (so I couldn't even track her down to a new publisher), and passed the manuscript on to her replacement, who thought I was "pedestrian." Sigh.

JD

seaaircarol

Frustrated Pluviophile
Registered
Reaction score
I feel for you, Jan. To have someone actually working with you on the manuscript, and then...

We really have to have such a thick skin in this business, huh?

And, Crinklish, I appreciate the fact that they lost an editor and that may be the reason for their long wait. I wonder, though, why don't they close off subs for a while to get caught up?

AllieB

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.allieboniface.com
I submitted 2 ms. to Avalon in the past. Both went from partial to full requests, and both were turned down after close to 1 year. I didn't get any specific feedback on the first, but on the second, the editor told me the story wasn't "upbeat and happy" enough for them, even though it had a traditional HEA. I write sweet romance but I don't think it's in their style, so I probably won't submit to them again.

But good luck!

seaaircarol

Frustrated Pluviophile
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that, Allie. Hope you can find homes for them elsewhere.:)

Crinklish

Registered
Reaction score
And, Crinklish, I appreciate the fact that they lost an editor and that may be the reason for their long wait. I wonder, though, why don't they close off subs for a while to get caught up?

'Cuz we're greedy ;) . Well, partly because it's easier to keep you guys waiting then to close off the opportunity for That Perfect Book by officially declining submissions. Which sucks for the submitter, admittedly. But fair this crazy business ain't.

seaaircarol

Frustrated Pluviophile
Registered
Reaction score
Just wanted to mention that I got my rejection from Avalon, and it only took four months. They must be caught up.

Status
Not open for further replies.